PDA

View Full Version : small leak

kev88
05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Was able to run the boat for short time yesterday and noticed a small amount of water in the bilge. Started feeling around and found water dripping from the the bottom of the impeller housing. Boat has 14 hours on it. Did not have time to inspect throughly. Possibly a bad seal or one of the hoses not clamped tight enough?

Thanks!

coz
05-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Was able to run the boat for short time yesterday and noticed a small amount of water in the bilge. Started feeling around and found water dripping from the the bottom of the impeller housing. Boat has 14 hours on it. Did not have time to inspect throughly. Possibly a bad seal or one of the hoses not clamped tight enough?

Thanks!

Try this thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22205&highlight=dripping

$1.10 part from skidim, rear seal for mine :D put that in with a new impellor and walla! check the obvious first.

TMCNo1
05-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Dealer/warranty, no brainer!

ShamrockIV
05-16-2008, 01:50 PM

right as usual!!!!!!!!

kev88
05-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Dealer/Warranty = getting trailer out of storage - boat out of water - towing 70 miles to the dealer - 70 miles back to the lake - expensive gas - down time.......

1.70 and/or turn of a screw = I'll do it myself :D

OhioX14
05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Dealer/Warranty = getting trailer out of storage - boat out of water - towing 70 miles to the dealer - 70 miles back to the lake - expensive gas - down time.......

I was about to mimic TMC's post but understand your dilemma. I vote for checking all the connections for tightness (without overtightening), and if that doesn't work, follow COZ's advise.

ttu
05-16-2008, 02:06 PM

been there DONE that (twice):mad:

TMCNo1
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Works for me, I just hope you don't have a new 2008 C6 Corvette with recapped tires on it!

Duck it!

If you have Extended Warranty,

Sodar
05-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I am in the same league as everyone here. My dealer is about 60 miles each way, in Los Angeles traffic. I normally just deal with the items until the season is over, or until there are a couple things that need to be addressed. The cool thing about taking it to the dealer for this problem, is that they will just throw a completely new water pump in and you will be off. You can probably wait while they do it!

Tom023
05-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Could be:
- Hose clamps - tighten
- Impeller cover - tighten gently. The brass screws can snap off very easily, so you may want to have a few spares before tightening them. Don't use stainless from the hardware store or you risk stripping the pump housing, then you have bigger problems.
- Shaft seal on pump - have it taken care of under warranty, when that runs out, replace it yourself. These pumps wobble around a lot and cause occassional leaks; also, changing the impeller can upset the seal and cause it to leak.

Of the five boats I've owned, my MC is the only one where the bilge isn't dry. I've found all the usual leaks (rub rails, water pump, exhaust hoses, ballast, put in a dripless shaft seal, etc.) I've given up, so you may want to get used to it.

kev88
05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
*Update*

Water intake hose was not clamped tight enough - 5 minute fix - thanks for the input.

coz
05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
*Update*

Water intake hose was not clamped tight enough - 5 minute fix - thanks for the input.

That's an easy fix but if one's loose I'd check them all (clamps) or all you can see :D