PDA

View Full Version : Sea Water Pump

Gamble
05-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Guys, after all y'alls help, I think I'm just gonna replace the entire Sea Water pump on my 83 351W by PCM. I think the one I currently have is original equipment, and it's about to totally fail. Do any of you have any tips or know of something that would be of help when I go to do this? The one I'll be replacing is a belt driven pump on the starboard side of the motor. Thanks in advance.

TMCNo1
05-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Guys, after all y'alls help, I think I'm just gonna replace the entire Sea Water pump on my 83 351W by PCM. I think the one I currently have is original equipment, and it's about to totally fail. Do any of you have any tips or know of something that would be of help when I go to do this? The one I'll be replacing is a belt driven pump on the starboard side of the motor. Thanks in advance.

This pump is probably what you need, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA057007 and Vince or any one of his CS people can answer any questions you may have. Be sure to read the "Detailed Description", (Detailed Description, *Tech Tip* This pump can be mounted with the inlet and outlet ports reversed no water will be pulled in if mounted incorrectly. Make sure to note your orientation before removal. These belt driven pumps are Original Equipment on Pleasurecraft Marine Ford Engines)
under the picture of the pump above!

Gamble
05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Yep, that's the one I'll be replacing it with........I'm assuming in ref. to the tip on the bottom of the page, that the "inlet" is marked on the pump so you know which direction it needs to go......at least I hope it is. I was also told I need to know if my engine is LH or RH......I think it's a LH, as most of them are I assume.

TMCNo1
05-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Yep, that's the one I'll be replacing it with........I'm assuming in ref. to the tip on the bottom of the page, that the "inlet" is marked on the pump so you know which direction it needs to go......at least I hope it is. I was also told I need to know if my engine is LH or RH......I think it's a LH, as most of them are I assume.
I don't know if they are marked or not.
Just verify the proper pump rotation with the engine rotation direction from whoever you purchase the pump from.

87MCProstar
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
just bought a replacement for mine as well. i don't know if anyone has posted this site, but i picked mine up from Jack Chamberlin @ http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.com/rawwater.cfm it was 141.50 shipped to CT from FL. just to give you a heads up.

sam196370
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm replacing mine this weekend and good to know about the orientation. I'm sure it's recommended that these be primed prior to first run - I guess just pouring water into the hose works?

oldairboater
08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Why would you prime it? I'm replacing mine this weekend and good to know about the orientation. I'm sure it's recommended that these be primed prior to first run - I guess just pouring water into the hose works?

bigmac
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Rather than "prime" it in a conventional sense (which is unnecessary), I'd fill the thing up with dish soap or better yet your favorite "personal" lubricant, the goal being minimizing impeller damage on first startup from dry impeller in a dry pump.

CoreyWakeboard
08-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Seems like this would be an easy replacement...couple of hoses, couple of bolts. As for first prime, why worry? Whenever I replace the rw impeller, I just replace and go and haven't had issues...