PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Question...?

coz
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
My last laptop was an IBM that I had for 3+ years (never a prob) well my sons friend spilled a glass of water on it and that was it for the IBM. In november (6 mos ago) I bought a Gateway and it's been a speedy laptop but yesterday it wouldn't turn on :confused: I called gateway and they looked into it and now they need to send me a couple cd's to redo my computer, not the system restore cd (I have that) but something else and will take 3 to 5 days :confused: Sounds like a freak'n software issue..?? Anyone have issues or problems with gateway? I'm using my daughters sleeping beauty fantasy computer now and it's driving me crazy, let's see??:confused: prince charming is the home button??? I dunno???? :confused:

RexDog1
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
My last laptop was an IBM that I had for 3+ years (never a prob) well my sons friend spilled a glass of water on it and that was it for the IBM. In november (6 mos ago) I bought a Gateway and it's been a speedy laptop but yesterday it wouldn't turn on :confused: I called gateway and they looked into it and now they need to send me a couple cd's to redo my computer, not the system restore cd (I have that) but something else and will take 3 to 5 days :confused: Sounds like a freak'n software issue..?? Anyone have issues or problems with gateway? I'm using my daughters sleeping beauty fantasy computer now and it's driving me crazy, let's see??:confused: prince charming is the home button??? I dunno????

MacBook ...:D
http://store.apple.com/us (http://store.apple.com/us)

Sodar
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Stop being cheap and get something reliable!

MacBook! :D

Edit: Damn it, Jon! You beat me to the punch!

RexDog1
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM

I know:rolleyes: I know:rolleyes: my wife says I am fast also…………………..:(

coz
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm guilty of this :confused: IBM was like 1000 and this was 600 :mad:

dapicatti
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Our company dumped all of our gateways a while back.

Personally we are switching to Mac at home, much to my wife's disdain....she doesn't get it.

dmayer84
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Gateway=Garbage Good luck if you have any hardware issuse, will take about 6 months to resolve it, thats if they even accept that something is wrong with it.

Willski
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
My wife would approve of the Macbook. She just got a new one for work and bought her old one from them for $300. She loves it.

coz
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Gateway=Garbage Good luck if you have any hardware issuse, will take about 6 months to resolve it, thats if they even accept that something is wrong with it.

It was real quick for them to accept and figure something is wrong :rolleyes: It's the 3-5 days that's kill'n me :mad: hopefully the cd's do the trick :mad: I looking at new ones today eventhough the broken one is new :mad:

Willski
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Bummer. We get really dependant on our laptops!! My hp for work was out of service for a few days with a battery that wouldn't charge. Only 2 years old too.

brucemac
05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
i didn't know gateway was still around and i'm in the industry :)

hey D, need a good IT reseller, look me up :)

OhioX14
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Why not a Dell? I've hade my D420 for almost 2 years, a D610 for a couple of years before that, and a C810 before that. All have been great laptops and when I did have an issue Dell's 24 Hour On-Site warranty had a technician here same day or next day with the parts and it was fixed. Just stay within their Latitude product line and get the onsite warranty.

BTW, I have nothing to do with Dell, I've just been a long time customer who has had very good service.

dapicatti
05-14-2008, 01:47 PM
i didn't know gateway was still around and i'm in the industry :)

hey D, need a good IT reseller, look me up :)

I'm not sure what we still have around but I will keep you in mind.

brucemac
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure what we still have around but I will keep you in mind.

i meant as in, IF you ever need a good IT reseller...look me up

:)

coz
05-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Bummer. We get really dependant on our laptops!! My hp for work was out of service for a few days with a battery that wouldn't charge. Only 2 years old too.

Right!!!! I'm dead in the water :rolleyes: I need MS project to deal with the day :confused: looks like the old pen and paper method for the time being :confused: anyone have a pen???? :o

Sodar
05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
I need MS project to deal with the day :confused:

Thats part of the problem too! :D :rolleyes::D

LKNMC
05-14-2008, 02:56 PM
It has been said but get a Mac

dmayer84
05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
It was real quick for them to accept and figure something is wrong :rolleyes: It's the 3-5 days that's kill'n me :mad: hopefully the cd's do the trick :mad: I looking at new ones today eventhough the broken one is new :mad:

You got lucky, I used to work for a gateway certified partner and it took us 3-6 mths to get replacement parts.

stuartmcnair
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Check for BIOS updates on Gateways site. That is probably what they are sending you. Have you tried taking out the battery and unplugging, holding the power button down for about ten seconds then plugging it back in without the battery? It might restart then.

And don't fall for the macbook line, they just have a different set of problems. The difference is when a PC dies you can easily diagnose it. When a mac dies you have to put it in the mail. One thing I would suggest though, when you buy a laptop you should always buy a business class machine (such as a Dell Latitude or a Lenovo T series) instead of a home class machine like they sell at circuit city and best buy. You really do get what you pay for.

PM me if you would like some help with it and I will call you.

coz
05-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Check for BIOS updates on Gateways site. That is probably what they are sending you. Have you tried taking out the battery and unplugging, holding the power button down for about ten seconds then plugging it back in without the battery? It might restart then.

And don't fall for the macbook line, they just have a different set of problems. The difference is when a PC dies you can easily diagnose it. When a mac dies you have to put it in the mail. One thing I would suggest though, when you buy a laptop you should always buy a business class machine (such as a Dell Latitude or a Lenovo T series) instead of a home class machine like they sell at circuit city and best buy. You really do get what you pay for.

Thanks stu, I'm gonna try that :rolleyes: my wife reminded me that the last LT I had was an HP business not IBM :confused: how'd you know I got this at circuit city??:rolleyes: live n learn :o

LKNMC
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM

That is not entirely true although Macs have some problems they are not as common/intense as the problems you have with a PC

Heck even the PC websites are talking up Macs now

Coz,
If you decide to go with another PC make sure you get XP and not Vista

stuartmcnair
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
That is not entirely true although Macs have some problems they are not as common/intense as the problems you have with a PC

Heck even the PC websites are talking up Macs now

Coz,

My family is in the publishing business and I have owned every series of Apple computer ever made. They have plenty of problems. No computer is immune to that. The difference is that a Mac is basically a business class machine instead of a consumer class. That is why consumers feel they are so much better. The hardware is better engineered than what you would find in a cheap Dell or HP.

If you owned a POS consumer class machine then yes, a Mac is going to seem much better. They used to be far more reliable but they went away from a SCSI bus and adopted the cheaper PCI architecture. I have a Mac IIgs in my parents basement that will fire up right now and it is at least 10 years old. It lasted several years in the office. When the G3 towers came out they became like most other computers - destined for a serious failure. All to save a few dollars.

Peripheral makers have gone to an engineering model of disposable hardware so the MTBF is nowhere near what it used to be. It doesn't matter if you are on a Mac or a PC that is just a fact. Now, the new hard drives based on chip technology instead of spinning platters could reverse that trend. The biggest point of failure in a computer is the hard drive and not having any moving parts will be a quantam leap over the spinning hard drive.

LKNMC
05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
My family is in the publishing business and I have owned every series of Apple computer ever made. They have plenty of problems. No computer is immune to that. The difference is that a Mac is basically a business class machine instead of a consumer class. That is why consumers feel they are so much better. The hardware is better engineered than what you would find in a cheap Dell or HP.

If you owned a POS consumer class machine then yes, a Mac is going to seem much better. They used to be far more reliable but they went away from a SCSI bus and adopted the cheaper PCI architecture. I have a Mac IIgs in my parents basement that will fire up right now and it is at least 10 years old. It lasted several years in the office. When the G3 towers came out they became like most other computers - destined for a serious failure. All to save a few dollars.

Peripheral makers have gone to an engineering model of disposable hardware so the MTBF is nowhere near what it used to be. It doesn't matter if you are on a Mac or a PC that is just a fact. Now, the new hard drives based on chip technology instead of spinning platters could reverse that trend. The biggest point of failure in a computer is the hard drive and not having any moving parts will be a quantam leap over the spinning hard drive.

I am not saying that Macs don't have problems in fact mine has been to the Genius Bar a couple of times but they have been far less severe than the problems I encountered with my old PC

Apple does offer a business line or the Pro series as they call it and it is a much better built computer then their consumer line I am actually typing this on my MacBook Pro which I feel is equal to if not better than any other business series laptop out there

stuartmcnair
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Let me clarify. Overall, the Macs are engineered toward business. Their "consumer" line of iMacs and iBooks / MacBooks are designed FAR FAR FAR better than any consumer class PC. I never recommend a consumer class PC anything to my customers. However, business class PC's with a business class OS are just as good as any mac when it comes to longevity. Unfortunately for Apple, they do not make hard drives so that weak spot is always there.

Apple also has a better OS model as Microsoft has really dropped the ball with Vista. Windows 7 will hopefully rectify that but with their track record I doubt it.

Honestly, I make money fixing both of them so I don't push my customers towards a particular platform. I make sure that they get the proper machine for what they want. Lately, I have been recommending Macs for a lot of people since they want to hook their video cameras up and make DVD's. For the life of me I can't figure out why PC software vendors can't get that right.

stuartmcnair
05-15-2008, 10:11 AM
OK, here's some irony for you. I just got a call from a friend in North Carolina. Her new iMac locked up this morning. Hard drive failed.

LKNMC
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow did the whole drive fail or just the OS portion

stuartmcnair
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
looks like the whole drive...so far the CD's will not see it and Norton will not either...she backs up regularly...she is not comfortable taking it apart so she is going to take it to a repair place...

hard drives suck...

shepherd
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Coz,

Second that! I got Vista on my laptop and it sucks. It takes forever to boot up and shut down. :mad:
My desktop has XP. Nice.

Stupid question: Can I switch my laptop over to XP? Is it an easy conversion? I assume I'll lose some files/programs that I already installed.

coz
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Second that! I got Vista on my laptop and it sucks. It takes forever to boot up and shut down. :mad:
My desktop has XP. Nice.

Stupid question: Can I switch my laptop over to XP? Is it an easy conversion? I assume I'll lose some files/programs that I already installed.

Yep the broken one has Vista but the kids computers have XP and I like it better because that's what my old one had. :rolleyes:

stuartmcnair
05-15-2008, 12:52 PM
My desktop has XP. Nice.

if it has Vista Business Ultimate then you can get XP Pro and replace it for free. Otherwise you would have to purchase a licensed copy of XP or use a license from a computer no longer in use.

bigmac
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM
And don't fall for the macbook line, they just have a different set of problems. The difference is when a PC dies you can easily diagnose it. When a mac dies you have to put it in the mail.

:D:D:D

Oh...you were being serious?

coz
05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Otherwise you would have to purchase a licensed copy of XP or use a license from a computer no longer in use.

I assume you don't recommend bootleg products? :rolleyes:

stuartmcnair
05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I assume you don't recommend bootleg products? :rolleyes:

Nope, would not dare install anything without a licensed copy. Those certifications cost way too much to throw them away like that.

n another note:

My friend's iMac lost it's hard drive completely. Cannot be recovered. I had her buy a Time Capsule while she was there so she can keep her machine backed up. Her email to me was titled iMacs iSuck...

Tom023
05-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Her email to me was titled iMacs iSuck...

Does that mean she has low self esteem or is very talented? :rolleyes: