PDA

View Full Version : Circulating Pump replacement.

68FastbackGT
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I have a 1985 Mastercraft with a Ford 351 Peasurecraft engine in it. I heed to replace the water circulation pump because water is dripping out of the weeping hole on the bottom side of the pump. I know I can get a rebuilt water pump for a Ford 351W for about $30 at a parts store. When I look on Discount Inboard Marine for a circulating pump for a Pleasurecraft, they want $120. Can I put the rebuilt water pump from the auto parts store on my Pleasurecraft engine? (I promise to paint it silver instead of Ford blue)

sk8salomon
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
i'd say yes just make sure the rotation is correct. if it doesn't match, it won't pump water correctly, or at all, and you will overheat. might take the old pump with you for match up and possible core charge.

FrankSchwab
05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
There shouldn't be any safety issue using the Auto version of a water pump (as there is with, for example, a starter, carb, or alternator). But, the auto version will probably need replacing more often - the marine version uses some non-corroding parts (impeller, rear sealing plate) that the auto version doesn't.

/frank

Slinkyredfoot
05-14-2008, 08:56 AM
My pump leaked just like yours, took it completly apart, what a mess inside, cleaned it all up, installed and new seal, and no leaks since.