PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Spark Arrestor

russlars
05-13-2008, 08:25 PM
What do you recommend for cleaning the spark arrestor and how exactly do you do it? I have the LTR engine and the arrestor points to the rear of the engine. It is attached with a hose clamp and then there is another small rubber hose that goes between it and the crankcase. How often should this be done?

east tx skier
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
If it's paper, I recall reading that you brush it lightly or blow it out lightly with compressed air. If it's the metal variety, take it off, spray carb cleaner from the inside-out and let it dry really well before reinstalling.

I suspect it's the former type so I'm about 50/50 on that.

russlars
05-13-2008, 09:14 PM
If it's paper, I recall reading that you brush it lightly or blow it out lightly with compressed air. If it's the metal variety, take it off, spray carb cleaner from the inside-out and let it dry really well before reinstalling.

I suspect it's the former type so I'm about 50/50 on that.
It is definitely the metal type. Any old carb cleaner work?

stuartmcnair
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
try to use new carb cleaner...

TMCNo1
05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
If it's the K&N type, there is a kit sold by them that contains a cleaner and a can of oil to recoat it with, just follow the instructions. The kits can be found anywhere K&N stuff is sold.

east tx skier
05-14-2008, 11:08 AM

I always used the spray. Keep it away from anything painted.

TMCNo1
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gas, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits any kind of solvent that will dissolve and wash away the gunk and use a brush too, let air dry and reinstall!

ntidsl
05-14-2008, 11:58 AM
k and n works great for me once a year.

JLeuck64
05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
If you use your wife's dishwasher to clean your engine parts...

You might be a REDNECK!

Hmmm, I are one I guess!