PDA

View Full Version : Honda Ridgeline

captain planet
05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Anyone on here own a Honda Ridgeline?

How well do you like it? What kind of mileage are you getting out of it?

Datdude
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
YooperScott has one.....maybe he will stumble along :D

3event
05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I dunno, think they are rather unusual-looking.

BUT I was very impressed that Chuck Norris likes 'em - have you seen him in their new commercial ??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mg8EMmOWQI

In typical tough guy attire, looking like he just came from a fight he won against 10 gang members, he enters some kind of a country club dining room or similar. White linens, old ladies, prim and proper. Title overlay appears: "Tough Meets Classy"

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I think Ric has one.

thijs
05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Just as l;ong as you know when you look at them it is basically a car without a trunk lid...... :)

uawaterskier
05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
please tell me this thread is a joke

rholmes
05-13-2008, 06:53 PM

I was going to say something along those lines. I guess no wants to admit they own one. :D Just kidding!

TMCNo1
05-13-2008, 08:04 PM
It's just a anorexic/bolemiac/handicapped Avalanche, that rode the short yellow car hauler from what I hear!

russlars
05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
All I can say is BUTT UGLY! When I see them it reminds me of an El Camino, only uglier.

captain planet
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Not really. I currently have a Suburban. Nice vehicle. Some days I love it. Most of the time I hate it, hate it, hate it. It's big lumbering vehicle that my wife drives around town taking the kids here or there that gets 15 mpg city.

I bought it to be able to take the boat on vacation to TN or NC. Reality is I haven't been on one vacation with the boat since I bought it in 2004. I don't need a V8 for how often I tow the boat. At this point I'm looking at MPG's and my POS don't have it. I agree the Ridgeline isn't the best looking vehicles on the road, but of the vehicles that can tow the boat, they get the best MPG.

If a Ridgeline gets 4 or 5 mpg better than my Suburban it will save me about $1000 per year in gasoline. I only have 14 payments left on the Suburban so I am fishing to see how the $$$ will pan out if I were to find a used Ridgeline. (Helps to have a good friend who runs an auto auction ;))

If nobody wants to admit to owning one, that's fine. I'll go over to automotiveforums.com and fish there. I thought I'd come here first since I "know" you guys a little better.

YooperScott
05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
As Datdude said, I have one. Yes not the best looking thing ever built, but otherwise it's a Honda what else do I have to say? The functionality is great. I have had it for just over a year and there is not so much as a rattle or creek or anything like that. All time 4X4 works perfectly on snow and ice and gets low 20's on the highway. Not going to keep up with a Tundra from a stoplight but I have other toys for that. :) It also truly drives like a car when in a parking lot, not a crew cab truck. Oh course that said it is essentially a Pilot with a different body, not a "real" truck. The in bed trunk is the coolest thing ever and depending on what all you are hauling in some regards makes the bed much better than a regular truck because it has more space. The smaller bed for me was something I could deal with because it still fits in my garage (that was a requirement) and other than once wanting to haul a snowmobile without a trailer (sled is a little too long) the shorter bed has not hampered me yet.

I have hauled the Mastercraft on 400 mile trips and hauled wood several times, pulled snowmobiles, etc, etc.... If you do a lot of distance towing (I don't) then I would go for something V-8 but otherwise decent mileage, Honda realiability and functionality, decent price.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7030/dsc01370smallsf2.th.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01370smallsf2.jpg)

captain planet
05-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks Yooper. Do you know what it gets around town, mpg? THat is where this would get drive the most.

Thanks. I am going to go and look at them sometime, just wanted to hear an honest opinion from an owner.

YooperScott
05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Two more pictures for you. Those are the Costco sized items in the in-bed trunk for reference. Second picture, well it's probably been used as a "truck" more in the first year than some use their REAL trucks ever. ;)

Scott

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3877/dsc00925smallfo2.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00925smallfo2.jpg)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7331/img1069smaller6.th.jpg (http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1069smaller6.jpg)

YooperScott
05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Realistically I probably get 15-17 in town driving. My wife drives it most of the time and her commute is on a 45 mph stoplight to stoplight road the whole way for reference.

Also the tailgate opening like a normal tailgate or else sideways like a door is yet another VERY nice feature especially when loading the in-bed trunk with groceries and such. Much less of a reach.

Scott

thijs
05-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Two more pictures for you. Those are the Costco sized items in the in-bed trunk for reference. Second picture, well it's probably been used as a "truck" more in the first year than some use their REAL trucks ever.

I retract my previous statement. I am obviously mistaken, it does have a trunk lid. I am not sure that a 80 buck a month savings in fuel is worth it for me if I could only have a vehicle each for my wife and I. However if you kept the Burban and bought a little car- you might find way more savings in fuel where you could actually comfortably use the burban for vacations.

captain planet
05-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Already have a daily driver (Focus). I'm going to have a hard time trying to convince my wife that she doesn't need a SUV to take the kids to preschool and to swimming lessons. I'll suffer many battle scars to try to get her in a car......so...you can see where I'm going with this. I cringe at the thought of that Suburban driving around town for no real reason other than to deliver my kids here or there at 15 mpg. I want something that makes more sense, and that truck ain't it.

casx2
05-14-2008, 10:22 AM
:eek3
Wow CP, you looking at a Honda after giving us a hard time about owning one.

::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Ric loves his.

captain planet
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
:eek3
Wow CP, you looking at a Honda after giving us a hard time about owning one.

::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

You know how much I hate that truck, and if the American auto makers can't get their act together and get something with some good mpg's, then to hell with them. They lost me and you know how loyal I am. I'm gonna eat crow for owning a foreign vehicle, and a lot of it, but I'll be spending less in gas $$.

I've developed your view of cars over the last two years, "it's just a darn car". Isn't that what you said, more or less?

casx2
05-14-2008, 10:40 AM
You know how much I hate that truck, and if the American auto makers can't get their act together and get something with some good mpg's, then to hell with them. They lost me and you know how loyal I am. I'm gonna eat crow for owning a foreign vehicle, and a lot of it, but I'll be spending less in gas $$.

I've developed your view of cars over the last two years, "it's just a darn car". Isn't that what you said, more or less?

I know that you have hated that truck since day 1. My view of vehicles is that they all suck!! Nothing but a money pit, the only way to get even is to drive em till they die.

wakeX2wake
05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
my opinion is yes... they are a money pit but its money you're going to have to spend anyways so spend on something you like... and as far as gas goes... i just go the pump now and turn my head until it turns off... i put $60 in the boat last night after a couple hr trip for about 4-5 sets

mastercraft1995
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
If I didn't have to have a 1 ton truck I would buy one in a heart beat. I have a camper and a boat so the Honda wont work. If Honda or Toyota ever makes a 1 ton truck I'm going to buy it no matter what it looks like.

My boss has one and loves it. He gets about 22 in town and 26 on the hwy.

wakeX2wake
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
toyota is on the verge (i've heard) of releasing a 1 ton diesel... it's going to be a BEAST... i'd already rather have my tundra vs most of the diesels out there

Willski
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Not sure about the Ridgeline, but we have an 06 Pilot. We really like it, but you are not going to gain much on mileage.

We get about 15 in town and 21-22 on the highway. Ours was rated at 17 and 22, but they have revised the ratings on the new ones to 15 and 20 which I think is is little closer.

BrianM
05-14-2008, 02:40 PM
We get about 15 in town and 21-22 on the highway. Ours was rated at 17 and 22, but they have revised the ratings on the new ones to 15 and 20 which I think is is little closer.

That is the same rating my Avy has and it is a LOT more truck.

captain planet
05-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Yea, my Suburban gets 15 city, 18 highway. I was hoping the Ridgeline got a little better city mileage than 15. Even if it got 19 city, it would be worth a closer look. Hate that @#!* suburban. :rant:

jkski
05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I've got a 2500HD CrewCab Diesel I'll sell ya!!! (Let me go ahead and answer the question before you ask.....YES, EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE ALWAYS!)

BrianM
05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm going to have a hard time trying to convince my wife that she doesn't need a SUV to take the kids to preschool and to swimming lessons. I'll suffer many battle scars to try to get her in a car......so...you can see where I'm going with this.

Get your wife into a wagon or a crossover. Many of the crossovers will get 20+ mpg and you don't lose much if any utility over an suv. My wife drives a Subaru Outback. Plenty of room for hauling stuff and AWD. The only thing it can't do that an SUV can is tow anything substantial. But for that trade off we get 27mpg in combined driving. It will get 31 mpg on long highway trips.

YooperScott
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM

It is a LOT more TRUCK I won't disagree. BUT we could compare fit and finish (no contest unless Chevy has changed a lot), ride quality (again probably no contest), parking lot manors (i'd bet the u-turn radius is much smaller), price ($7k+ more for similar optioned Avy), and then things start to change. We could also see how they are both doing at say 150k miles. Sorry I used to be a DIE HARD Chevy guy but I only have to get burned enough. I now have 2 Honda's and have never seen the Honda service department. EVER. Something to be said about that. Not things I can say about the Chevy's or Ford's that I have owned.

Mine tows a 190 just fine (65 to 75) and can be piled full of wood. Those are the most extreme things I need and it does those jobs well.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

BrianM
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
It is a LOT more TRUCK I won't disagree. BUT we could compare fit and finish (no contest unless Chevy has changed a lot), ride quality (again probably no contest), parking lot manors (i'd bet the u-turn radius is much smaller), price ($7k+ more for similar optioned Avy), and then things start to change. We could also see how they are both doing at say 150k miles. Sorry I used to be a DIE HARD Chevy guy but I only have to get burned enough. I now have 2 Honda's and have never seen the Honda service department. EVER. Something to be said about that. Not things I can say about the Chevy's or Ford's that I have owned.

Mine tows a 190 just fine (65 to 75) and can be piled full of wood. Those are the most extreme things I need and it does those jobs well.

Scott
'95 LT1 Prostar 190

Fit and finish of the GMT 900 platform I would put up against the Ridgline any time. I will guarantee that the Avy rides better than the Ridgeline. Price and parking lot manners I concead although Honda is pretty proud of their vehicles.

I am by no means a die hard anything guy. I buy the best thing for my needs. I have owned 3 Hondas all of which gave me absolutely perfect service. I actually looked at Ridgelines but went with the Avy in the end. To each their own.

92 190 PS
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
We have a pilot. Basically the same thing as a Ridgeline. We get 17 with most any driving maybe another mpg or two on long highway trips. Tow our 92 190 with it and it does OK. Plenty of power, but soft in the rear end. I have air bags sitting in my garage that I'm getting ready to put on it and I think that will make a big difference.

I'm getting ready to buy a 4Runner for my other vehicle and I'm going V8. Have a couple friends that have them and they're getting 15 or 16 mpg and tow like a champ. Would highly suggest you look at them if you're going to do much towing...

All and all we love the Pilot for most everything other than towing and you can't beat a Honda for reliability. Great vehicles...

YooperScott
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I will guarantee that the Avy rides better than the Ridgeline.

I actually looked at Ridgelines but went with the Avy in the end. To each their own.

Body on frame and a solid rear axle? Somehow I think those two things probably already gave the nod to the Honda in ride.

I am just defending the Honda a bit because their seems to be a bunch of critics (probably none of which have even ridden in a Ridgeline). I actually planned to buy a crew cab 1500 Chevy but it was many thousand more (optioned the same) and the huge kicker for me was that it would not have fit in my garage without having to totally get rid of my workbench. I do not think the Ridgeline looks are appealing (or the Avy for that matter) but I drive on the inside and this was to be a long lasting utility vehicle that required little to nothing other than gas/oil, and the very standard maintenance items like tires, brakes, belt, filter, plugs. If I wanted looks, I would have bought a Corvette. :D

Scott

BrianM
05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Body on frame and a solid rear axle? Somehow I think those two things probably already gave the nod to the Honda in ride.

The ride in the Avy is amazing. Super nice ride on the highway and overall great road manners with a VERY quiet interior. I drive about 25k miles a year so a good ride was one of the deciding factors to me. Of all of the trucks I drove (the Ridgeline being one of them) the ride in the Avalanche was by far the best.

MCDriven
05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Captain: I am thinking about getting one too for same reasons even though they are ugly - look better with step rails and roof rack. Test drove one and they are nice. Look and drive like a car because they essentially are - one piece like a car instead of two like a truck. Love the lockable trunk idea - my son & I play hockey & it seems like a great place top haul our gear.

Few will consider it a truck though - like a soccer mom calling her SUV a truck. Still you own a MC - you got your man card, so buy the dang Ridgeline and tells folks who tell you that's not a truck to pound sand.

captain planet
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Went to a Honda dealer last night while out running errands. I figured I could kick a tire or two, but the dealer was closed by the time I got there. They had a new Ridgeline in the lot. $31K. Was pretty nicely equipped, but $31K?! It was raining so I didn't really get to see what it had on/in it. Mileage on the sticker was 15 / 20. I was expecting more mpg's as I had mentioned. I guess all time 4wd will drink a little gas.

Oh well, with only 14 (now 13) more payments on the Suburban it doesn't really make sense to switch now. A year from now when gas is $6.50 a gallon I will own it. :mad: I guess I will take my buddy, casx2's advice and drive it till it drops.

Hey casx2, how many miles on your burban? Since yours is a 99 and mine is a 00, we better start saving our extra beer money for when they die so we can get new vehicles at the same time. Maybe by then the american automakers will have taken their heads our of their arses and start building trucks people can afford to run.

05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I think Ric has one of those ridge-things ask him.

Footin
05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda has some petty big dealer hold backs right now, for the pilot and ridgeline they can be bought for about 27k fot he 32k car/truck.

The 09 will be out in a couple months so dealers are dumping the 08 inventory.

vision
05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Here is more fuel for the fire.

I have an 06 Toyota Tacoma 4WD extended cab with the TR off road package and tow package. With leather interior, it runs about 3K less than the Ridgeline. Does not drive as nice however as it is a stiffer ride, and you would have to get the crew cab for comparable space inside.

I get 19 to 20 MPG highway, 17 city, and 12 MPG pulling a 2008 X-star. That 6 cylinder pulls my X-star with no problems. Very stable. We have three vehicles in our family, all only a few years old. Everyone prefers to drive the Tacoma. But I think that is simply because they like how they look driving it!