PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

Gamble
05-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Guys, about how long do impellers last? I know some replace them every year, which I'm sure is the right thing to do, but does anyone have any idea how long one lasts?

flipper
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
change it every year, and you'll be good to go. From what I understand, sitting during the winter is harder on them than when you using the boat. I went two seasons on my first one, and never again. It was pretty trashed, and I really don't know how the boat didn't overheat. I always keep a spare with me just in case.

TMCNo1
05-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Basically till the engine overheats! There is probably no way to guesstimate the life of a impeller, because there are so many variables, so..................................replace every year unless you are experienced in a quick change on the water and carry a spare, of which everyone should do!

Gamble
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Cool, thanks guys........TMC#1, on the last thread we talked about yesterday, about the engine temps I had this past weekend.....I've been pondering it, and come to think of it, the impeller in there now is about 3-5 seasons old, and I'm thinking that's why my motor ran a little hotter this past weekend than it did last year. I'm just hoping that's what's wrong with it!!

BIGBADBLUE
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Just did my annual change ... 10 minutes top once you get the hang and the right tool ... angles neegle nose vice grips for me

TMCNo1
05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Cool, thanks guys........TMC#1, on the last thread we talked about yesterday, about the engine temps I had this past weekend.....I've been pondering it, and come to think of it, the impeller in there now is about 3-5 seasons old, and I'm thinking that's why my motor ran a little hotter this past weekend than it did last year. I'm just hoping that's what's wrong with it!!

I would go ahead and change the impeller and I'll bet your temps get more stable and the heat up after pulling a skier will go down somewhat faster. Mine goes to 170 or so after running hard and stopping to idle, then drops back down to 145-150 in probably 3-4 minutes tops.

flipper
05-12-2008, 10:10 PM

3-5 seasons is pretty long. Like TMC said, I'm sure you'll see a difference after changing it

jimmer2880
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I was just talking to a fellow MC'er who replaces his impleller every year. When he winterized last year, he noticed his impleller was missing some vanes :eek:

That impleller was less than 1 year old.

My point is, you never know how long they sat on a shelf, or other factors which may lead to pre-mature failure. When they fail - it's too late, as then, you have pieces throughout your engine.