PDA

View Full Version : Geothermal Heating

JohnnyB
05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Considering building a new house....going to look into geothermal heating and cooling......does anyone run one of these units???

stulesmi
05-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't have any personal experience with geothermal, but check out www.dougrye.com I listen to him on the radio and he's very high on it.

Chas
05-12-2008, 05:55 AM
removed .....

Slinkyredfoot
05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
I have been a very satisfied owner of a geothemal heat pump unit for over 25 years. The old unit just went on the blink last winter after 25 years of great service and I replaced it with a brand new unit.

There are two common types of loops needed to make the unit operate, open and closed, not to mention a reliable water source due to the fact my unit uses about five gallons of water a minute during operation.

There are many advantages to operation of a geothermal over conventional forced air or electric.... one unit for heating and cooling and utility cost of operation to name a couple. In the dead of winter, in Indiana, my total electric bill for the worst month on a 4000 sq. ft. home was about $270. Who knows how much gas or electric would have been.

One basic drawback of geothermal is cost of installation but the payback over the life of the unit pays for this.

Finally, there are rebates available from the federal and state governments for the installation of new units, as a green energy source, check out this avenue as well.

If you have any further questions let me know, otherwise I would install another unit in a heartbeat.

etduc
05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Considering building a new house....going to look into geothermal heating and cooling......does anyone run one of these units???

I sell them, but not in your area.

Go closed loop, with vertical wells. This is the most efficient way, to get consistant water temp and consistant water volumne. Really, not much to them, they work great and last along time. Main pitfalls: well- driller and hvac contractor. They need to be experienced, in the construction and engineering of system.

For more info. http://www.climatemaster.com/

stuartmcnair
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree with you on the vertical and closed...well, I don't...one of my best friends owns a heating and air company that specializes in those and I ran it by him.

He suggested getting a mechanical engineer involved to make sure everything was done correctly. Small price to pay for a system as expensive as these are.

Andyg
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
I grew up in a house that had a geothermal unit that used well water. The problem was that well pumps only last so long and they had to replace their well pump twice in 20 years.

They just built a new house and installed another geothermal unit. THe difference was they used a closed loop system. Instead of the vertical though they had enough room to lay the closed loop system horizontally and it saved them a few bucks over a vertical system as you need to pay a well driller to install the vertical system.

My understanding is the it is about a 5 year payback now, if not less with the way energy prices are and where they are going.

If I ever build a house or have to replace my current furnace I will definetly go with the geothermal unit, most likely a verticle closed loop.

etduc
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with you on the vertical and closed...well, I don't...one of my best friends owns a heating and air company that specializes in those and I ran it by him.

He suggested getting a mechanical engineer involved to make sure everything was done correctly. Small price to pay for a system as expensive as these are.

Agreed, just like real estate....location,location,location. Different areas
have different needs, and design criteria.

Biggest draw back to horizontal is: requires clear acreage.

JohnnyB
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I have 5 acres....how much room does the system take up....it is buried 4+ feet deep, right?

I take it closed loop re-uses its water as opposed to open loop which continues to draw from my well.