PDA

View Full Version : My amps and sub stoled

VOLFAN
05-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Well what I was hoping was going to be a fun day out with the family turned out not to be.

I arrived at my boat and uncovered it. Seen a knive laying in the floor I had never seen before. Then I noticed a wing nut from the battery laying in the floor... I raised up the observer seat and my Sub and Amps had been jacked! I started looking around and they left my other six speakers and four tower speaker and also left the head unit! I guess it could have been worse and they could have took all that plus the baterries... Needless to say I was pissed, but what do you do? I found out that several other people had got the samething done to them. All they got was subs and amps.

Is there anyway to lock up the observer seat area on my 03' X2? It being two pieces I am not sure of anyway to do it?

Also I know it may sound silly to some, but has anyone ever put some kind of alarm on their boat? I would want something really simple and that would only go off by someone opening up a seat or something. My thought on this is. If I had one I might save others too once it went off it would hopefully scare them out of the area!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Chief
05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
That sucks man, I hate f'ing thieves!

You probably could put some type of hasp on the seat, but then they probably would have damaged the boat.

brucemac
05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
sure sorry to hear about that volfan. there are quite a few alarm options and it's not silly at all if done right. i own the same boat, same year and plan on upgrading the audio, so needless to say, i'm looking forward to hearing advice from others.

VOLFAN
05-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I would give ten times what it will cost to replace the stuff to have been laying in the boat with the cover on so when they uncovered it I could blow their @$$ right back out of it!

Since I can't do that I got to come up with something to scare them off. Hopefully this was a one time thing!

jrcarte78
05-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Where is your boat normally stored?

icewake
05-10-2008, 10:52 PM
dang volfan, that really sucks. maybe you could be the one to head up something to get hurricane to put some cameras in. I have a bad feeling this is going to start happening more and more often

VOLFAN
05-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Where is your boat normally stored?

During the the lake season I keep it on a lift at a local marina. There is hundreds of boats down there.

stuartmcnair
05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
whatever you do, do NOT do anything that will force them to damage the boat to get what they want. If you put a luck on it, they will break something to get to your stuff.

I hate that your stuff was stolen and it pissed me off that people do it but I would rather them just take the stuff than destroy my boat.

VOLFAN
05-10-2008, 11:21 PM
dang volfan, that really sucks. maybe you could be the one to head up something to get hurricane to put some cameras in. I have a bad feeling this is going to start happening more and more often

It would be nice if they couls secure all the slips to boat owners ownly, but that will never happen. Would be too easy to come in by water! It just sucks some punk kids have nothing better to do!

VOLFAN
05-10-2008, 11:23 PM
whatever you do, do NOT do anything that will force them to damage the boat to get what they want. If you put a luck on it, they will break something to get to your stuff.

I hate that your stuff was stolen and it pissed me off that people do it but I would rather them just take the stuff than destroy my boat.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. If i had some sorta lock on it they would just have ripped it open! That would have really pissed me off! That is why I think I will try to rig up some sorta alarm. I know it may sound silly to some, but I think that migh thave scared them away and possiably saved other boats from getting broken into!

shepherd
05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Sorry to hear it volfan. That really sucks. I don't think an alarm is a bad idea at all, if it's practical. I'd be looking to do the same if I had a nice boat like yours stored in a public place.

uawaterskier
05-11-2008, 03:38 AM
step one:buy a 12 gauge

step two:lie under the cover and wait

step three:????

step four: PROFIT

Lennyp04
05-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Maybe someone will know what I'm talking about...

Does anyone remember the infomercial that had the guy with the accent I think his name is Anthony something, but he made that real small alarm thing that if the two sides dont line up then an alarm goes off. I forget the product name but maybe if you could find something like that it could be an option.

wakolman
05-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Keep an eye on ebay or on your area craigslists, maybe the thieves will try to unload their hot items. Identify yours and you could get the PO-lice involved.

JohnE
05-11-2008, 08:36 AM
There is some sort of alarm that will work. They make them for jeeps and convertibles IIRC. I have no idea where to look for one.

That sucks Volfan.

JohnnyB
05-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Interesting point on the alarm....let us know if you find anything.

I'm in the process of purchasing some river frontage to build our next home on....its going to be a long process. I've thought about putting the dock and lift in this summer and keeping my boat there. However, the idea of it being unattended and open to theives scares me. An alarm would at least get the neighbors' attention.

JohnE
05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
something like this might work. But you'd need to have an alarm system to add it to. Shouldn't be that difficult.

http://www.carmedia1.com/index1.html

edit - that doesn't link directly to what I'm talking about. But that's the site.

Look for alarm accessories and then proximity detectors. I'm out of time. I'll come back later to try to find the exact link.

ShamrockIV
05-11-2008, 09:04 AM
sorry bout the theft bro. i think the portability of ur setup is one reason why they grabbed it. but like i told you on the phone ur dock is quick on and quick off so that makes it easier too!! did u tell the dock? if so what did they say!!

CRAIGTHEMAN
05-11-2008, 11:18 AM
sorry to here about that..i know the feeling..happened to me with my truck middle of last winter..caugh the little bastered in the act and i chased him in my boxers down the street with my soviet gun..lets just say he never came back

Jerseydave
05-11-2008, 11:36 AM
You want an alarm, look here

http://www.boatalarm.com/howtobuyanalarm.html

It would be good to catch these thieves in the act! Imagine being paged that your boat alarm went off and if you can get there quick, those thieves would be NABBED!

Click on the section "ski boat alarms"

VOLFAN
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Sham--- It wasn't just me there was lots of people that got hit on all docks. They must of been several of them and they probably had a boat down there from what I have heard. Yeah I told the dock they said call Dekalb county sheriff and I did I got to call back Monday and speak to detective. I will be putting some sort of alarm on it now!

SkiDog
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Put either a rattlesnake or a pet gator on board........problem solved!:D I really do hate it for ya there Vol. Theives can kiss my a$$!

VOLFAN
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
You ever seen that silly video slip with the trunk monkey? I would like to have a monkey/ape whatever with a bat in the damn thin and he could beat the crap out of them with a bat...

JohnnyB
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
You ever seen that silly video slip with the trunk monkey? I would like to have a monkey/ape whatever with a bat in the damn thin and he could beat the crap out of them with a bat... Love the trunk monkeys...

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/

CRAIGTHEMAN
05-11-2008, 12:47 PM
i have a two way paging alarm from dei..thats how i caught the last bastered...my little key chain woke me right up...should also work goood for a boat to

TMCNo1
05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the theft, I hate thieving astards!

spanielman50
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
i have a friend whose camp was robbed,,he set up his deer trail cam
and sure enough they came back,,,,,digital cam idenified them,,
justice served,,,,hope you catch them

wpstevenson
05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Volfan, they took the amp out Jack and Judy's 197 last week too. They cut the wiring harnes behind the amp when they were taking it out. Jack said the police found some amps left on the dock. Looks like they hit boats with tower speakers going after the amps. They didn't touch Joan's boat. I think all the boats hit were in the historic district. My friend has an alarm wired to the back hatch and spotters seat. I'll show you how he did it, I'll probably put one on the 197 once it is repaired.

ShamrockIV
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
dang bill that suks!!!
i aam worried about my 209 now. u would think with the uping of the rent we could get some kinda security!!!

dapicatti
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
You are very lucky they didn't try to take your tower speakers....we had our storage unit broken into last year and had all of our speakers plus the entire system taken. They couldn't get the tower speakers off just managed to mangle them in the process. Needless to say we switched storage areas and now have no problems.

My buddy put the alarm on his boat that NJskier posted. It works well and pages you. His boat is going to a more public location from private storage and he wanted to be sure he could at least scare them away. I don't think you can stop them, especially when its a group hit thing.

I've been there, been as mad as you are about it.......

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill

I will call the detectives and see what amp was found. Mine was old amps. Maybe they decided they didn't want them :) I am in the process of hooking up an alarm system. I just got to figur eout what will be the best application. Let me know what you find out about the one they have installed to the observer seat and back hatch. They said they have a security guard down there now, but that isn't good enough. I sent them an e-mail abou tsecurity cameras. If everyone starts asking for them, maybe they will install some!

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I am also puttin a camera in :)

wakeX2wake
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
i hate theives worse than anything... but i guess i'll cut off my distaste here before the mocking begins here as it did when i stated on another thread i'd like to shoot someone i catch robbing me... they might get away but if they get shot or shot at they won't be back and if they do it'll most likely be a war

sorry to hear about the theft... there's nothing more helpless feeling than having your gear jacked

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I just got off the phone with the detective and they did find some amps and a cd changer. He is suppose to be getting them from the deputy that found them. It is possiable one of them might be mine!

ShamrockIV
05-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I just got off the phone with the detective and they did find some amps and a cd changer. He is suppose to be getting them from the deputy that found them. It is possiable one of them might be mine!

let jack and judy know too!! theirs got jacked!!

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 01:00 PM
i hate theives worse than anything... but i guess i'll cut off my distaste here before the mocking begins here as it did when i stated on another thread i'd like to shoot someone i catch robbing me... they might get away but if they get shot or shot at they won't be back and if they do it'll most likely be a war

sorry to hear about the theft... there's nothing more helpless feeling than having your gear jacked

I am with ya! I just got done taking the handgun carry permit class and they tell you when to shoot and when not to shoot. They tell you do not fire warning shots...But I would be firing some waring shots at their damn feet! If I could not catch them that is. If they was in a boat I would be firing shots into their freaking boat and hoping it sank and they freaking could not swim. If i got my hands on them they would get one heck of a beating! I would do this for my property as well as anyone elses down there!

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Bill if you or Jack and Judy needs the detectives number PM me. I have his cell number. I am hoping he can just take pics of te amps and stuff recovered and e-mail me. I don;t want to hav to drive down to Smithville if it isn't mine.

wpstevenson
05-13-2008, 01:23 PM
will you be at center hill this weekend?

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah at some point or another. I am hoping to be installing some sort of alarm plus another sub and amp. I got to be ready for memorial day weekend.

wpstevenson
05-13-2008, 01:41 PM
They made a series ciruit from the battery to the boat horn with 3 switches in line, the 2 limit switch are in parrelel to each other. He put one on/off switch to arm disarm the circut, one NC (normaly closed) micro limit switch under the spotters seat that is made when the seat is down, same thing on the back hatch. Those two switches are in parrelel to each other and are in series with the on off switch and horn. If the switch under the dash is on and either limit switch is opened the horn will sound. If the switch under the dash is off the circut is disabled. Very crude but the thought is they will run as soon as the horn starts VS looking to turn it off. 3 switches and some wire.

wpstevenson
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Call me when you get up there, I'll drop by.

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Sounds good on the alarm. I will want to add a louder horn! I want something that will wake up the people in the boat houses and on the housboats!

Bill I will give ya a ring when and if I get down there. PM me your number. Do you happen to carry a marine radio with ya? If so I can holla at you on CH 14

dbdaddy
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
here's one......mabey you could trap a bunch of wasps under your cover when you shut it down for the season. let the little bad asses set up shop in your boat for the winter. that would be fun to see. kids running away dropping your equipment while swatting your little buddies and crying for their mommies to kiss their bo bos.

Prostar Rich
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Is there a space where you could place a sign that the premises is under video surveillance? The reason I asked is about 3 years ago my garage was broken into and some misc tools were stolen. I placed several beware of dog signs on my fence and I have not had a repeat episode. In fact when the meter reader comes around he rings the door bell and asks if the dog is locked up. I don't even own a dog but I guess people who see the signs figure if I took the time to place several signs warning of a dog they won't take their chances.

I hope you get your property back.

Prostar Rich

dbdaddy
05-13-2008, 02:17 PM
now this might not be cheap, but i have heard of a knife proof car cover with a big steel cable on the bottom that can lock. mabey you can look into that and have a cover made of that material for your boat. also, im an alarm tecnitian. i dont know where your boat is, but a microwave sensor, (detects motion for convertables) may false alot due to the cover being blown by wind, but you can put shock sensors turned down and a pin switch over youe stuff. the main thing is a really loud siren inside the boat. if a peice of crap thief cant hear, he wont hang around long.

VOLFAN
05-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Is there a space where you could place a sign that the premises is under video surveillance? The reason I asked is about 3 years ago my garage was broken into and some misc tools were stolen. I placed several beware of dog signs on my fence and I have not had a repeat episode. In fact when the meter reader comes around he rings the door bell and asks if the dog is locked up. I don't even own a dog but I guess people who see the signs figure if I took the time to place several signs warning of a dog they won't take their chances.

I hope you get your property back.

Prostar Rich

Already completed this step. I am still placing an alarm on the boat just inc ase they want to test me along with a video camera mounted somewhere too.

wakeX2wake
05-13-2008, 02:22 PM
funny story... a theif was robbing a boat in the marina here... guy who was an ex-SEC standout linebacker (yea its that perfect) lives on his boat in the marina (and you know this joker when you see him... he's a monster but all he said he ever wanted to do was sit on his boat and drink beer all day... kind of a weird guy but cool never-the-less)... well the alarm goes off and he sees a guy running away from one of the boat on the end toward the parking lot... he steps out of his houseboat and knocks the guy w/ one arm into the back of the boat over and one down from him... the theif proceeded to trip off the swim deck of that fishing/cabin boat and slam into the peir w/ about mid way up his torso hitting the edge of the walkway between the boats... i asked him if he jumped in and got him and he said "welllll i wasn't going to" but [his g/f] was yelling at him so he said "i gave him time to sink to the bottom before i jumped in and went looking for him"... story ends he found the guy and the g/f revived the unconscious theif... guy had a concussion from hitting his head on the dock and a couple broke ribs... Dan said "i didn't mean to hurt him bad i was just trying to knock him down"... LOL