PDA

View Full Version : Recovery time for arthroscopic meniscus repair

edeckerpc
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Just had a torn meniscus repaired in my knee on Friday. Was wondering how long it took others to get back behind the boat?

ShamrockIV
05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
what did doc tell u??

mhanksruns
05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Had mine done on April 2nd and have been skiing since April 11th. Just took it easy.

tex
05-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Did they remove or repair?

edeckerpc
05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
They did a removal. In 2001 I tore my ACL. When in there for the ACL they saw I tore my meniscus and it was in an area they were able to do a repair in. Now they went in to cut out a tear where the repair was done because I've torn it again.

In terms of time, the Doc said it varies. He said I had strong legs adn should be fully functional within a month. Was just curious about others. I've been doing lots of leg lifts as instructed - I think a lot depends on how much muscle mass you lose in the quad.

atlfootr
05-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Stay off those blasted 'wakeboards', they'll do it to ya every time 8p

jraben8
05-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Doc said I had to wait 2 weeks before getting it wet at all when they scoped mine. They made me wait 6 weeks but I felt like I could have at 4.

Listen to him/her. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks than have to go back in again because I was impatient.

ShamrockIV
05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Stay off those blasted 'wakeboards', they'll do it to ya every time 8p

why do u barefooters hate on every other water sport!!

bigmac
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
A meniscus repair has a lot longer non-weight-bearing period than just removing the torn piece altogether. The advantage to a repair (if the damage is appropriate and if the repair works) is less likelihood of degenerative arthritis later in life, therefore less likelihood of the eventual need for a new knee.

TMCNo1
05-10-2008, 07:23 PM
why do u barefooters hate on every other water sport!!

I agree, it's getting old!

stuartmcnair
05-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I see you are in the southeast...did Andrew's team take care of you?

tex
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
A meniscus repair has a lot longer non-weight-bearing period than just removing the torn piece altogether. The advantage to a repair (if the damage is appropriate and if the repair works) is less likelihood of degenerative arthritis later in life, therefore less likelihood of the eventual need for a new knee.
What he said! I heard 2-3 weeks on the removal and a 3-4 months on the repair. I heard that on a sports medicine radio show yesterday. Good luck!

edeckerpc
05-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Dr. Maughon in Gwinnett did the surgery. He did my ACL too.

Finally got to take the bandage off this morning - it was starting to itch like crazy! When unwrapping it, there's that weird moment where you're like - who's leg is that? It looks like it doesn't belong to me, all swole and funky. After a shower it's looking way better.

They called yesterday to check on me and said about two weeks to feeling normal and 3-4 to get behind the boat. The doc will confirm during my post op on Thursday.

Glad I got it done now at the beginning of the season - get it out of the way.

bigmac
05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I heard that on a sports medicine radio show yesterday.

Hey! That's where I heard it too..