PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X2 New Prop Wrong Direction

bturner2
05-10-2008, 09:07 AM
OK, I've been boating for quite some time and know about left and right rotation. My understanding is that all MC boats are left rotation. I just bought this X2 and decideed to put a new prop on it. Called Discount Inboard Marine and they set me up with a new prop. I installed the new prop (which has a spline shaft) and headed to the lake for the first time out. Much to my surprise when I went to back the boat off the trailer the boat moved forward. A quick move to forward had the boat going in reverse. I quickly checked the trans shift linkage and everything looks new, no marks on the paint, can't see where anyone has ever put a wrench on the bolts. When I got home and pulled the prop to compare directions of the two prop they were indeed oppisite. The box lists the prop as an OJ 470 and the box is printed with Genuine MasterCraft Parts on it with a M/C# 203784. I checked the OJ site and they show this as the correct prop and only make the splined prop (or currently show one) in LC. Anyone have any thoughts as to what may be happening here? I've replace the new prop with the old one and plan to test the boat today and see what happens.
BTW: The new OJ has 14.25x14 VC OJ stamped on it.

KHall
05-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Wrong prop in the box, call dim they will correct the mistake.

KHall
05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Just guessing it can't be installed backwards?

bturner2
05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Here we go. Went out to the lake today to test with the old prop. Compared my old prop to my brother inlaws Mailbu prop that is stamped with an L on it. Mine is opposite his. Backed the boat off the trailer and boat ran quite well. Proble is this is a right roatation prop. I was told by my dealer that all newer MC's are left. Is there any way to install the trans or shift lever that would cause this problem? The boat does seen to steer hard to the right and leans to the left. Haven't figured out how to add pictures yet, once I do I'll post the pictures of the props but they are without a doubt opposite.

TMCNo1
05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
A L or a R should be stamped on the hub between the blades along with the dia. and pitch and some stamps on ther face of the hub where the proip nut rests.

bturner2
05-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Pulled the prop off the boat just now and no L or R stamping anywhere just the following:
OJ 14 20 CUP on the end of the prop
Johnson 602 on the hub
My brother in law's prop is stamped with a L and the Blades are oppisite mine.

MichaelsPSP
05-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I had a problem putting a prop on my 04 X-Star. they exchanged the prop and the new one went right on

Tom023
05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I recall MC building some X-series boats in 2003 with RH rotation, but then switching back. I searched over at Wakeworld I found a post that supports my beginning to fail memory. This is what is posted:

"MasterCraft did build some early X2’s with the reverse rotation props. This was in response to customer complaints regarding heavily loaded X10 & X30s and had virtually nothing to do with the X2. The decision was made to reverse rotation on ALL X-Series boats. However, it was very quickly discovered that this may have helped the 10 & 30 but did hurt the X2. Reverse rotation altered the shape of the wake and made the boat hard to turn to the right. MasterCraft’s pro riders complained immediately and the boats were put back to the original rotation.

To put your boat into standard rotation requires nothing more than the prop and some time. All that needs to happen to reverse the shaft direction is to switch the cables inside the control box. This is a simple fix and is covered under MasterCraft warranty.

I would highly recommend doing this; I think you’ll be impressed by the handling changes and the “new” wake shape. Plus the boat will be a lot easier to dock. "

Seems like you may want to go to LH rotation..which is an easy adjustment in the shifter.

bturner2
05-13-2008, 10:34 AM
After hours of research and a trip to the local dealer, followed by the local staff there doubting my sanity, Tom023 is correct (thank you very much for your reply and research). My dealer is looking into doing the work for me but thought it would no longer be covered under warranty. I also wrote the tech people at MasterCraft and they offered to sell me a right rotation prop (one of two they have left in existance) and didn't mention doing the change under warranty. I am somewhat dissipointed by this. Although I'm the second owner of the boat I would have expected a company like MasterCraft to step up to the plate right off the bat. My dealer made it sound like it was going to be a difficult and time consuming ordeal. They are preparing a estimate for me should MasterCraft not step up. The shift controll looks fairly easy to get to if the large screws use standard heads. Looks like 4 screws on top and one smaller one at the bottom. I'm going out to the boat this afternoon to see if I can't knock this out myself. I saw another post on mymastercraft.com that confirms what Tom says about the boat handling like night and day after the change back. Even if I do the change myself I'm really hoping MasterCraft offers to make it right. Just seems like that's what a good company would do. Thanks again for everyone's response.

KHall
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Sorry for being worthless on this one. I totally missed.

sk8salomon
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
It's your concience telling you to buy a Nautique!!!

bturner2
05-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Sorry for being worthless on this one. I totally missed.
No worries. I'm just glad people respond and give you ideas to consider.

bturner2
05-14-2008, 08:13 AM
In response to sk8salomon.... Just can't do the funky, cut up interior on the CC wakeboard boats and after close to 20 years of MasterCrafts it's hard to have anything else (have way too many shirts, hats etc.)
Anyway, after reading Tom's note I decided not to wait to see which arm and/or leg my local MasterCraft Dealer was going to charge me to switch the controls over. I went out to the boat yesterday afternoon and did it myself. The dealer told me it would be labor intensive which in the past has meant expensive. I had the procedure done including the prop change and a trip to Lowe's for a 21 mm torque bit in just over two hours. I did discover that I don't like working on boat interiors. I had to remove the driver's seat and the side panel which was a real pain but changing the cable over was no more than taking the cotter pin out of the connecting link and re-routing the cable to the upper control horn. The difference in the handling of the boat was incredible. With the right rotation prop I had a considerable lean to port and the boat was very difficult to turn to starboard. It also had considerable torque steer. With the Left Rotation prop installed I had a very slight lean to starboard (this could be partly to my less than boy like figure these days), the turning issues have completely gone away. The boat now handles like a MasterCraft instead of a Bayliner. It steers well in both directions and is very much like my previous Maristar 200VRS. Still waiting to see how my dealer/MC will handel this on thier end. As I stated before I would hope they would offer to correct this for free as this was without a doubt a considerable error on their part at least on the X2. In my opinion the handling of the boat was close to dangerious when turning to the right. I was seriously considering selling the boat if I couldn't resolve the handling issues. That just leaves one bit of unfinished business...... Anyone want to by a Right Rotation prop for a MasterCraft? Thanks again for everyone's support!

snork
05-14-2008, 08:20 AM
$ 400.00 Paper weight. You would think OJ has a return policy?