PDA

View Full Version : Everyone’s boat maintenance routine

calix2rider
05-10-2008, 01:17 AM
TT, what’s everyone typical 50 hr ritual?

The operating manual suggests taking your MC to the dealer every 50 hrs (big $$$$$)... :mad: The MC shop in my area a 50hr is 5-6 bills and a 100 hr is close to 9, opposed to non MC dealers 4-5 and 7.

Does everyone out their pay this kind of $$$?

I’ve considered doing some of the work myself to save some money, but I'm not sure which things I can do on my own and at a minimum what can I get away with. I should be able to change the oil and impeller but what other ‘straight-forward’ items should consider doing on my own...?

coz
05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
TT, what’s everyone typical 50 hr ritual?

The operating manual suggests taking your MC to the dealer every 50 hrs (big $$$$$)... :mad: The MC shop in my area a 50hr is 5-6 bills and a 100 hr is close to 9, opposed to non MC dealers 4-5 and 7.

Does everyone out their pay this kind of $$$?

I’ve considered doing some of the work myself to save some money, but I'm not sure which things I can do on my own and at a minimum what can I get away with. I should be able to change the oil and impeller but what other ‘straight-forward’ items should consider doing on my own...?

With all the helpful people on this board you will be suprised what you'll be able to do. If it's warranty stuff have MC do it but after that I would find a good marine mechanic, you'll save a bundle. After break in 100 hr or yearly service is good. I see your from cali so you'll be able to find a boat mechanic no prob. Good luck and welcome aboard :D

JimN
05-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Imagine for a minute that you sell a big-ticket item that has a three year drive train warranty and a limited lifetime warranty on the hull/deck. Would you want to have it serviced by your network of dealers, or someone who isn't required to report any problems, things that are/went out of adjustment and isn't able to acquire the data from the ECM? The 25 and 50 hour service is part of the break-in period, which is different on a car or truck. They have a suspension system, boats don't. Things move on a boat when someone hits a wake or a series of waves.

When I was working on these, checking the motor/transmission alignment, fuel pressure, packing condition and drip rate, and connecting it to the dealer-mandatory diagnostic computer (and more important- knowing how to interpret the data) were required at the 25, 50 and 100 hour service. What about the alignment of the strut? Do you have the tools, equipment and information to know if there's a problem and if there is one (or more), can you put it back to spec? How many of these things would you have done if I hadn't mentioned them here?

The list for the 50 and 100 hour service isn't small and when I was working on these, the 25 and 50 were required in order for the warranty to remain.

If there's a problem at 25 or 50 hours and it goes un-addressed, leading to catastrophic failure, would you fire up for the parts and labor? I wouldn't.

ShamrockIV
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
man what kinda boat do u have???

if it is a newer model then u are sweating less than a grand on a 40 to 100k boat???

u got to be kidding right!!

yeah u can do alot of it urself but that is why u paid so much for it so you have a network of people and a boat company that stands behind their product!! u have the best boat on the water, so keep it up!!

stuartmcnair
05-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Simple things like changing the impeller, spark plugs, oil and transmission fluid I have no problem with. If it is something more than that...straight to the MasterCraft dealer. It's a three hour drive and I don't care. It's that important that someone who knows that boat like the back of his hand works on it.

I've always said I like my doctor's to drive Ferrari's and my accountants to pull up in a Benz. I'm getting that way about my boat mechanic as well. I want the best person around working on my stuff.

FrankSchwab
05-11-2008, 01:21 AM
I'd have a hard time arguing against taking it to the dealer for the initial (25, 50, 100) services. After that, well...

I do all of my own maintenance (of course, I'm cheap - I bought a used boat). It's really not hard - for me, the hardest is adjusting the driveshaft packing - getting something into that space that let's me turn the nuts is hard. Having just replaced the packing this winter, it's something I'm intimately familiar with at the moment.

Your owner's manual has everything that needs to be done, and short of hooking the ECM to the computer you can accomplish it all. From my point of view, as long as the engine's running fine, my dealer's never gonna see my boat. I've got the bill from the previous owner for a 100 hr service.

How hard is it? Change the plugs every couple of years. Change the belt, plug wires, and cap when they need it. Change the fuel filter when it needs it - and change the O-rings on the fittings as dripping gas is a mortal sin. Change the impeller every spring. Clean the spark arrestor. Change the tranny fluid, oil and filter every 50 hours or every fall, whichever comes first. Lube the rudder and steering cable. Check the packing. Clean the raw water intake; if you don't have a filter before the transmission cooler, get one.

You're good to go; hit the lake, man. Of course, if you have to winterize, there are a few more steps here every fall and spring.

If something's broke and you're not confident, drop it off at the dealers. Me, I figure I can take on anything this side of ECM issues.

/frank

uawaterskier
05-11-2008, 04:45 AM
Simple things like changing the impeller, spark plugs, oil and transmission fluid I have no problem with. If it is something more than that...straight to the MasterCraft dealer. It's a three hour drive and I don't care. It's that important that someone who knows that boat like the back of his hand works on it.

I've always said I like my doctor's to drive Ferrari's and my accountants to pull up in a Benz. I'm getting that way about my boat mechanic as well. I want the best person around working on my stuff.
yay rambo! At least your drive wont be that far anymore

Raveryt
05-11-2008, 10:47 AM
My 01 190 has not been to the dealer once. It has 1054 hours. I change the oil every 50. Impeller every 150.

I have had to replace the complete raw water pump twice. Steering cable three times. And several other minor items. I am still kicking myself for buying a trailer.