View Full Version : She runs!

04-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Don't know if any of ya'll remembered my engine project I recently posted about, but I can report that all my time, energy and money has apparently gone to good use. To recap, I had to re-ring a relatively new engine due to 3 of the cylinders not sealing correctly or at all. This was because of an overheating problem during the original break in. In the process I replaced the heads with GT-40's and few other performance mods and put her back together. I took her for a lake test yesterday and it passed with flying colors. Never overheated, oil pressure was healthy and there were absolutely no leaks!

On general observations during the test, this engine with the roller rockers and GT-40 heads revs easier and smoother. The new Acme prop is unbelievable. It's quiet and practically vibration free. I will need to tweek the carb a little bit as I experienced a slight hesitation during idle to power mode transition. No big deal, I can fix that. Other than that there were no issues.

I will post pics tonight of my new color scheme and set up .

04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Sweet!! Can you tell us exactly what you did again or post a link to your thread on the rebuild?

04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the update. What kind of WOT and top end numbers are you seeing? Or, are you taking it easy during break-in?

04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
The engine is done breaking in. If it's not sealed now, it never will. I got it to about 4600 rpm and I believe, with very sketchy speedos, that I reached about the same slightly slower in speed. I would say my top end has not changed a whole lot, just the speed to which it gets there. I didn't give the boat a sustained throttling at WOT this time, just because I want to enrichen the fuel mixture across the board a little.

jrandol, this is what I did in the offseason due to fouling spark plugs etc.

-removed the engine from the boat and tore it down to verify my ring sealing problem.
-took my GT-40 heads, from a Cobra Mustang I used to own, to a machine shop for examination and rebuilding
-completely disassembled the engine down to the block and cleaned entirely
-replaced all bearings(which were actually fine, but I figured why not since I was in there)
-replaced and fitted new rings
-re-assembled engine with GT-40 heads
-replaced stamp rocker arms with FRPP roller rockers I had lying around
-painted engine new color and installed back in boat

All within a time frame of about 3 months. There are pictures of what the engine looked like before on here somewhere, you might want to do a search. I'll post before, during and after tonight.