PDA

View Full Version : Engine Pull

TCrate
05-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Has anyone pulled their engine lately. I have a 92 prostar. Wondering if it is possible to disconnect the trans from the engine and just pull the engine? How long would it take to pull the motor? Thanks.

Chief
05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm sure it would be easier to pull the tranny and engine at the same time. Just scribe the flanges(trans to shaft) it's only four bolts and pull away. I'm sure there are some tranny bolts that the "mf" word would be used quite frequently while trying to access them.

ShamrockIV
05-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm sure it would be easier to pull the tranny and engine at the same time. Just scribe the flanges(trans to shaft) it's only four bolts and pull away. I'm sure there are some tranny bolts that the "mf" word would be used quite frequently while trying to access them.

chief we use it in conversation so i am sure it will be more than a few times if we did it!! lol

TCrate
05-09-2008, 11:42 PM
OK I figured as much. I was hoping I could at least keep the trans in the same spot for alignment. Thinking of taking the engine and putting it on a dyno to tune it. having one heck of a time getting it dialed in.

Chaser_rct
05-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I pulled the motor and trans to redo the stringers in my 81. It was a scary sight to see a 351W hanging 6 feet above my boat to say the least lol. If your not removing the stringers you should have no problem lining it back up. I marked and measured mine when i took it out and it went back in fairly easy

JimN
05-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Better to pull the whole thing. If you leave either one, there's only one pair of mounts to support it. Remember, whether only the motor is removed or the motor and transmission, it needs to be re-aligned. That should be done periodically, anyway.

How long it will take depends on your mechanical abilities, tools and knowledge. If you have a plan, it should be out in a half hour.

Why does it need to come out?