PDA

View Full Version : Stereo/amp/subwoofer Help!!

T Scott
05-09-2008, 09:02 PM
I am adding a subwoofer and amp to the factory Clarion Stereo in my 2004 197. My question is in regards to hooking it all up. I have the pos/neg wires supplying power to the amp hooked directly to the battery and the subwoofer bridged (2 channel MTX amp) and have nothing happening with the amp....... No lights, no nothing.....nada. I think my problem is the remote wire that turns the amp on and off when the head unit is turned on. I was guessing as to which wire it was and i think I guessed incorrectly! Does anyone know which wire is needed to hook to the amp so it gets the signal to turn on? I am not a stereo guru, but don't think I am far off.......

HELP! I Wanna be thumpin' on the lake this weekend!

icewake
05-09-2008, 09:08 PM
look up the manual online for your headunit

lav
05-09-2008, 09:10 PM
should be a blue lead out of head unit that is the one that should go to remote turn on , make sure you dont have the power antenna lead it probably has white tracer.

JerryS
05-09-2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22922

Here's a thread where I kinda talked to myself about my factory amp....but I learned a little about the wiring and highlighted it there. Also some pics of factory wiring.

Check your PM's too. I have a ton of pics of the factory wiring if you think they might help I can post em'.

T Scott
05-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I found this link for an owners manual of the Clarion XMD3 in case anyone needs it.

http://www.prodigit.net/clarionDB/manual/2004/operation/4400/XMD3-EU.pdf

It dosen't answer my question, but is good reference nonetheless.

T Scott
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
OK..found my answer.....See the last sentence in question #1.

Here is the link....

http://www.marineaudio.com/images/pdf_links/clarion_faq_2007.pdf

Here is the info pasted in case the link goes away!

Top Ten Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the proper connections for a source unit’s power wires?
Connect the YELLOW wire to a constant (+) 12VDC power source (ie: battery, distribution block). This supplies uninterrupted power to the source unit’s main power supply and memory (ie: clock, radio presets, settings, etc.).
Connect the RED wire to a switched (+) 12VDC power source (ie: ignition switch, accessory switch). Switching this lead off while not in use significantly
reduces current draw and prolongs battery life.
Connect the BLACK wire to a constant (–) 12VDC ground source (ie: battery, distribution block).
Connect the BLUE/WHITE wire to optional power amplifier’s remote turn-on terminal. This allows the source unit to turn on/off optional power amplifer simultaneously when source unit is turned on/off.
2. Why does the source unit not recognize the connected CD changer or Sirius satellite receiver?
When a CD changer or Sirius satellite receiver is added to a system, the source unit’s main wiring harness must be disconnected before the changer and/or satellite receiver’s CeNET cable is connected to the source unit. Otherwise, the source unit will not “recognize” that a CD changer or Sirius satellite receiver has been added.
3. What equipment is needed to receive Sirius satellite radio?
Sirius satellite radio “Ready” source unit, Sirius satellite radio receiver, and Sirius satellite radio antenna (marine).
4. Will Clarion’s CMRC1 LCD display remote control work with any Clarion source unit?
No. The remote control will only work with the CMD5, CMD4, CMD4A, M475, M455, M455A, and XMD3 source units.
5. How do I find the Sirius satellite receiver’s 12-digit “ID Number”?
Method 1: Sticker on bottom of receiver’s chassis.
Method 2: Source unit’s digital display (if connected and powered).
CMD5 source unit:
1. Press the “MENU” button to switch to the menu mode.
2. Use “Å or Ç” button(s) to scroll through menu until display reads “SID DISP”.
3. Press “ENT” to view first 6 digits of Sirius ID.
4. Turn the rotary “Volume” knob clockwise to display remaining 6 digits of Sirius ID.
5. When complete, press “MENU” button to exit menu mode.
M475 source unit:
1. Press and hold “D” button for 3 seconds to switch to the menu mode.
2. Use “||| or }}|” button(s) to scroll through menu until display reads “SID DISP”.
3. Press “Ñ||” to view first 6 digits of Sirius ID.
4. Press “Ç” button to display remaining 6 digits of Sirius ID.
5. When complete, press “D” button to exit menu mode.
Top Ten Frequently Asked Questions
6. How do I connect an iPod or other portable audio device to the source unit?
Method 1: If you have a Clarion CMD5, CMD4, CMD4A, M455, M455A, or XMD3 source unit, you can use an 1/8” headphone jack to RCA jack adapter cable or the Clarion MA-AUX2 auxiliary audio input jack to connect the portable audio device to the auxiliary audio input jacks of any of these source units. The auxiliary input jacks are the short red RCA cables at the rear of the source unit’s chassis.
Method 2: If you have a Clarion M475 or M275 source unit, you can use an extension cable with a 1/8” male connector at both ends to connect
your portable device directly into the front auxiliary input located on the lower-right side of the units face plate.
Method 3 (iPod only): If you have a Clarion CMD5, CMD4A or M475, M455A source unit, you can use the Clarion EA1276B iPod CeNET interface to connect, control, and charge an iPod directly from the source unit.
Method 4 (iPod only): If you have a Clarion CMD4 or M455 source unit, you can use the Clarion EA1251B iPod CeNET interface to connect, control, and charge an iPod directly from the source unit.
7. The source unit has lost its “Bass” and “Treble” controls. How do I get these functions back?
(M475, M455, M455A, M275, M255, and XMD3 source units only)
The source unit’s “Z-Enhancer” feature has been activated. When the Z-Enhancer is “On”, it automatically replaces manual bass and treble controls with pre-programmed equalization settings. To restore manual bass and treble controls, set the Z-Enhancer to “Custom” or “Off”.
8. How many wired remote controls can be connected to a source unit?
Up to three CMRC1 remote controls can be used together with connection cable length totaling up to 48’ per remote.
Up to four CMRC2 remote controls can be used together with connection cable length totaling up to 72’ per remote.
Up to two CMRC1 and two CMRC2 remote controls can be used together with connection cable length totaling up to 48’ per remote.
Note: All splitter cables must be placed directly at the source unit.
9. Can an older model CD changer be used with newer model source units?
Current Clarion Marine source units models connect directly to CeNET protocol CD changer (DCZ625) via supplied CeNET connection cable (square plug/port). Older C-BUS protocol CD changers (round plug/port) can be connected to CMD5, CMD4, CMD4A, M475, M455, M455A, and XMD3 source units via optional C-BUS to CeNET adaptor (Clarion part # RCB138).
10. Can I update my XM-series source unit to a CM-series source unit?
Yes. If you are installing a CM-series source unit in the same location that an XM-series source unit was previosly mounted, you will need a Clarion CM-ADAP-R retro-fit adaptor to accomodate the dimension differences. The wiring harness is the same for both series models.

T Scott
05-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Update.....just finished hooking everything up and i have one word.....DAYUM! Why didn't i add a sub when I first got the boat! Sounds great and really adds some bottom end to the music. I installed a 2 channel MTX amp and hooked it to a 12" Sony sub in a vented box and put it under the bow. Sounds great! Thanks for the help in getting everything sorted out. Pretty easy when you know what color wires to look for!

zberger
05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Update.....just finished hooking everything up and i have one word.....DAYUM! Why didn't i add a sub when I first got the boat! Sounds great and really adds some bottom end to the music. I installed a 2 channel MTX amp and hooked it to a 12" Sony sub in a vented box and put it under the bow. Sounds great! Thanks for the help in getting everything sorted out. Pretty easy when you know what color wires to look for!

did you bridge the amp?

or are you just running one sub on one channel?

lav
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
oops srry there is my dislexia kicking in. glad you got everything working

T Scott
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
did you bridge the amp?

or are you just running one sub on one channel?

I bridged it.....it sounds nice!