PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Oil cooler not passing water...

prostar205
05-09-2008, 08:58 PM
How many have run up against this problem? I went to out for the first time this year. The boat started just fine but after a few minutes I noticed and smelled the exhaust manifold getting hot. I shut it down but it was too late - the impeller was TOAST. I replaced the impeller and the T-stat (original T-stat that was 7 years old). OK, great, I go to fire it up again and the same thing happened. I have narrowed my problem down to a faulty oil (transmission) cooler. I have not tested it to see if it will pass water but that is the only thing between the raw water pump and the water inlet.

How hard is it to replace this part? There are 4 oil lines going into the cooler. I assume 2 are from the transmission and the other 2 are from the engine. The cooler is about 18" long. I looked on Skidim and did not find a replace version.

The boat is a 2002 X30 with the L-18 engine.

Thanks for you help.

Footin
05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Pull the hose off that goes between the floor and the cooler, I bet the screen in the inlet of the transmission cooler is clogged.

Chief
05-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Pull the hose off that goes between the floor and the cooler, I bet the screen in the inlet of the transmission cooler is clogged.

Ditto, probably chunks from the last few impellers clogging the passage ways of the oil cooler.

T-Rager
05-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree that the cooler is clogged, but not with impeller chunks. I believe that the water flow is from the water inlet, through the oil cooler, to the raw water pump.

Likely something from the lake, like weeds, is trapped in the cooler. You should be able to remove the offending substance.

JimN
05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure if it's still listed in the owner's manual, but it used to say that the oil cooler is supposed to be inspected or cleared every time the boat is taken out.

If yours is after the raw water pump, as they began to do in 2000, it can still become clogged.

prostar205
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Fixed it last night around 12am (yes, midnight).

I ran water from a hose thru the water inlet, thru the oil cooler. The cooler passed water without any restrictions. I then ran the boat on the lift with a hose and it worked great. Next, I hooked everything back up the normal way and everything worked flawlessly. I think there must have been some type of a vapor lock that was not allowing the impeller to create a vacuum and pull water thru the oil cooler and into the raw water pump.

The configuration on my boat is water going into the pickup under the boat, thru the oil cooler and then in the raw water pump. From the raw water pump, water goes up to the t-stat housing where it is routed to the exhaust elbows and down to the engine water pump.

Yes, I clean the inlet screen on the oil cooler once a week.