PDA

View Full Version : A few questions??

Risi
05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently baught a used 1996 Prostar 190. I was wondering what the life of the engine is in hours. Its the corvette Lt1. I was also wondering what the stock propeller wasfor the boat?

Thanks.

hunthearin
05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
How many hours does the boat have on it currently?

JimN
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about the number of hours, I would concern myself with whether the hours left it "rode hard and put away wet". The first things I would do are"

Check the fuel pressure and delivery
Check the compression AND leakdown
Change the fuel filter(s), even if the previous owner says they did it
Check the exhaust manifolds and risers for corrosion and rust-through- if it's running hard and water gets into the cylinders, bad things happen
Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, at high and low RPM/speeds

Make sure to check the oil cooler on a regular basis, to make sure it's not clogged. It doesn't take long and will save you from dealing with overheating, which is one thing you DO NOT want to do with this motor. The heads are very expensive. That said, it's a great motor. Don't use cheap off-brand parts, keep the oil clean and don't overheat it.

If it does overheat, NEVER try to take it back in "limp home mode". You don't have a closed cooling system and that would be the only way to not ruin the motor. The only reason MC and Indmar even let the motor run if it has a problem is that shutting down a motor when the boater has every reason to expect it to keep running could potentially endanger the boater(s). The only possible reason to limp it home (it's actually called "RPM reduction") is to avoid imminent danger, like a waterfall, rapids, lightning or something like that.

If you want to find out exactly how many hours the motor has run, go to a MC dealer and have them connect it to their diagnostic computer. Not only will it tell you about the hours, if you (or the dealer) document the data, it'll give you a hard copy of the motor's health (vacuum, coupled with the compression/leakdown test).

coz
05-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about the number of hours, I would concern myself with whether the hours left it "rode hard and put away wet". The first things I would do are"

Check the fuel pressure and delivery
Check the compression AND leakdown
Change the fuel filter(s), even if the previous owner says they did it
Check the exhaust manifolds and risers for corrosion and rust-through- if it's running hard and water gets into the cylinders, bad things happen
Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, at high and low RPM/speeds

Make sure to check the oil cooler on a regular basis, to make sure it's not clogged. It doesn't take long and will save you from dealing with overheating, which is one thing you DO NOT want to do with this motor. The heads are very expensive. That said, it's a great motor. Don't use cheap off-brand parts, keep the oil clean and don't overheat it.

If it does overheat, NEVER try to take it back in "limp home mode". You don't have a closed cooling system and that would be the only way to not ruin the motor. The only reason MC and Indmar even let the motor run if it has a problem is that shutting down a motor when the boater has every reason to expect it to keep running could potentially endanger the boater(s). The only possible reason to limp it home (it's actually called "RPM reduction") is to avoid imminent danger, like a waterfall, rapids, lightning or something like that.

If you want to find out exactly how many hours the motor has run, go to a MC dealer and have them connect it to their diagnostic computer. Not only will it tell you about the hours, if you (or the dealer) document the data, it'll give you a hard copy of the motor's health (vacuum, coupled with the compression/leakdown test).
http://www.wpclipart.com/tmp/1210375016.jpg

JohnE
05-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Jim, could you be a little more specific?

Just kidding. It's great to have someone like you answering these questions.:cool: