PDA

View Full Version : Hex bolt in manifold?

87MCProstar
05-09-2008, 11:08 AM
hey guys, anyone have any tips on removing the hex bolts in the risers? i am having difficulty removing the 2 in the back of the riser. thanks

NU-skier
05-09-2008, 11:22 AM
easy outs sockets.. $20 from Sears after you soak them down.
Those easy outs can make a tough job easy.

mastercraftrider
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I borrowed a tool from my mechanic friend and then when I was going to put them back in I bought new bolts that don't have a hex head but rather one that I could use a wrench on. Much easier and cost about $5

Bruce Carr
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
You may have to put a little heat on the manifold where the bolts thread in. I ended up twisting the hex head off of the at least two of the bolts. Removed the riser, put vice grips on the stub of the bolt, added heat to the manifold and they came right out.

damaged442
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Make sure you put anti-seize on them before putting them back. makes it MUCH easier to take them out again.

mayo93prostar
05-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I cut part of a Allen wrench off so it would fit in the "socket" of the bolt and then used a wrench on the short piece to get mine off. some kind of rust cutter/lubricant helps too. Also, I suggest putting some kind of gasket sealer on the gaskets when you put them back together. I did not and mine leaked a little. good luck.