PDA

View Full Version : '98 205 question

mastercraftrider
05-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I have a 1998 205 but it is missing the rear 'sunpad'. I have made a new one but am not sure how to fasten it down. There is no storage under the sunpad just some holes to access the gas tank. Is it fastened in a way that it can come off easily to access the gas tank/fuel filter? Can it be hinged so that it flips back easily? I am attaching a pic so you can see what I am missing. There was white tape over the holes that you can see in picture.

ShamrockIV
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
u will have ur answer before sundown!!!!!!! sorry i was of no help!!

TX.X-30 fan
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
u will have ur answer before sundown!!!!!!! sorry i was of no help!!

No surprise there! :D

ShamrockIV
05-09-2008, 09:54 AM
No surprise there! :D

yeah yeah I was gonna say good excuse to get new boat!!

mrprostar
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
on my 96 the pad has two bolts through the plywood and is held to the fiberglass with nuts. The rear seat in your picture looks different than mine so it might be different. I can access nuts from behind the rear seat above the gas tank.

east tx skier
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
For some reason, I want to say that my father in law's rear portion of the sunpad is held on with some heavy duty velcro like dual lock. If I was starting from scratch though, I think I'd come up with something a bit more sturdy like thru-bolting it.

I don't know that hinges would really help with much as far as gas tank access.

NU-skier
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
My 98 205 has two nylon grip pins on each end on the front edges of the pad and two brackets that are mounted on the pad that slip in two slots to hold it on for each of the rear corners. It's just held on with those four points.
I would think that using the heavy duty grey outdoor velcro strips from Lowes/Home Depot in place of the brackets but still using the pins on the front edges to hold it from moving would work too.
Let me know if you need pictures and I will post them this weekend.

coz
05-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Here's a pic of my 98 pad, just two z brackets in front and two rubber stops so it sits firmly

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/P4050001.jpg
Click the pic for a larger size

There is also 2 plastic pins on each end, mine are gone/broke but it has no effect on it even towing.

Hope that helps :banana:

mastercraftrider
05-09-2008, 12:15 PM
so with just those too clips on the back it can't blow off? Where do thos rubber stops sit? Seems easy enough, I just thought that they were supposed to be on some sort of hinge so that they would 'flip' open towards the boat?

NU-skier, is that how yours is fastened as well?

coz
05-09-2008, 12:28 PM
so with just those too clips on the back it can't blow off? Where do thos rubber stops sit? Seems easy enough, I just thought that they were supposed to be on some sort of hinge so that they would 'flip' open towards the boat?

NU-skier, is that how yours is fastened as well?

There should be two slots for the stops, they're just like the rubber ones in you bow seats so take those off and see if they're the same size, mine are 4"x 3/4" and the pins I'm missing on the ends are supposed to hold it firm but if you ask me they were a pain because they were like car body clips, went in easy but a pain to get off. If you don't get the pins just go with some h/d addhesive back velcro for piece of mind like the others suggested. As for being blown off, the z brackets only let it go up a little then you have to pull towards the inside of the boat to get it off, so unless your hauling a$$ backward it won't blow off.

mastercraftrider
05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I just look at another picture of the boat and I can see the slots for the rubber stops. Now I get how it stays in place...I guess I can't give it in reverse to the boat launch anymore but oh well!!8p

Thanks a lot!!

NU-skier
05-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Mine is like the pic COZ posted.
I forgot about the blocks used to keep it steady.
COZ is right about the pins. They are a real pain to use and after you lift is a couple of times the pins need to be replaced.

Ryan
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Is there 3" of clearance between the tank and the fiberglass? With your idea of a hinge (or two) you could fasten a couple of bins in to hold gloves, soap etc. I think the 190 of these years had this kind of setup ICBW.

captain planet
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Is there 3" of clearance between the tank and the fiberglass? With your idea of a hinge (or two) you could fasten a couple of bins in to hold gloves, soap etc. I think the 190 of these years had this kind of setup ICBW.
Your right Ryan, my 98, 190 has two mini trunks under that pad. They are large enough to keep all your ski-ropes and handles (except no barefoot handles) and all the ski gloves you could want to put in there.

mastercraftrider
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the 'z' brackets from. My dealer has the stoppers, they are no problem but I'm having trouble with the metal brackets.