PDA

View Full Version : Gauge noise?

2000XPSD
05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
when i turn the key on there is a static type noise coming from the dash. the noise goes away after about 3-5 seconds...sounds like it's from the PP or the tach. It's not coming from the speakers or anything, it's definitely from the dash. i haven't investigated it yet and thought i'd check around to see if that was normal before i ripped into it. boat's a 04 x2 btw

JerryS
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
On my 06 and 07 197's there is an initial spoolup in dash when the key is turned to the ON position. This is probably what you are hearing, so yes, it is normal.

vision
05-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Normal dash start up noise.

Lennyp04
05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep weird nosie but nothing to be worried about

kev88
05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Yep weird nosie but nothing to be worried about

It's normal

2000XPSD
05-09-2008, 05:09 PM
cool, thanks all...it figured it was normal but never anything like that before.
what is actually generating the noise? just curious

lassy
05-09-2008, 05:48 PM
small trolls clicking their heels because they're excited you're cranking the boat up......

hahaha....it's normal for the gages to click rapidly on start up

i'm trying to think of what is actually making the noise......not coming up with anything after a few minutes of deep thought

JerryS
05-09-2008, 06:01 PM
If your boat's system is similar to mine, there is a Medallion MDC or MMDC (Multi module data concentrator) This box takes all the information from the ECM, fuel sending unit, engine sending units, etc. The MMDC takes this info and sends it to the Medallion gauges. The gauges are driven by stepper motors. Each gauge has a microprocessor and a stepper motor. The only difference between the gauges is their appearance and their programmed function.

Upon turning the key to ON the system goes into a "reset" mode where they vibrate. Then they are driven to the proper position. You can hear the stepper motor clicking away as the volts and fuel ratchet upwards on the gauge. The initial vibration is part of a self test basically.

You will notice that if you pull the kill switch lanyard and turn the key to ON, none of the gauges activate - and the noise won't be there. I believe the kill switch interrupts power to the MMDC. No MMDC - no gauges, no noise.

Many vehicles utilize these systems made by Medallion. As a matter of fact - generic stepper motor driven gauges are very common. Late model GM vehicles all utilize stepper motors in every gauge in the cluster. The 2003-2006 GM trucks are notorious for speedometer / gauge noise and failure. The stepper motors would become noisy due to a broken component and eventually fail. The speedometer is usually the first to go because it is the one that works the hardest. On my 04' Suburban the gauge was noisy from day 1. Sounded like something rattling in the cluster. Then eventually, the speedo began sticking and hung on 140mph. GM has a new stepper motor now....

Jerry

2000XPSD
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
that would make sense if they are using steppers...i had no idea they used them, thanks for the lesson jerry

JerryS
05-09-2008, 06:19 PM
http://www.medallionis.com/products/products.cfm?proID=10082&subnav=recreation&catID=21&type=display