PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Light Bulb for Tower Lights??

mcxfan
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
One of my tower lights on my 2006 X2 went out. Does anyone know where to get a replacement? It is for the light built in the speaker housing.

aaronfuller@windstream.net
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
same thing happened on my x-45 just contact your dealer and let them now it burned out an they can order you a new one thats the only way to get that type of bulb its about 220 dollars for one bulb

TX.X-30 fan
09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I bet the unit comes apart, like the old tower lights on mine, I found the bulb at the auto parts store.

SaltwaterMC
09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I can get the bulb locally for $6 at a light bulb store. You do NOT have to replace the whole lens fixture. I can get the details for you if you'd like on the type of bulb. Let me know. It does require a little time to take the fixture apart and rig up the new light but nothing too complicated.

mcxfan
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I did the same. I took the entire housing apart and replaced it with a light from Kragen Auto for $7. Took about 45mins to complete.

jdl xstar
11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Cruising at night over the weekend and saw that one of the tower speaker lights was burned out. I'll probably just replace all 4 since I want to make sure the lights are all identical, plus the others probably aren't too far behind in life span.

Anyone know if the tower speakers lights have to have an incandescent bulb or is there an LED alternative? Any websites to point me to?

BNIROOSTER
11-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Cruising at night over the weekend and saw that one of the tower speaker lights was burned out. I'll probably just replace all 4 since I want to make sure the lights are all identical, plus the others probably aren't too far behind in life span.

Anyone know if the tower speakers lights have to have an incandescent bulb or is there an LED alternative? Any websites to point me to?

Try topbulb.com

rgardjr1
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

When you get the old bulb out you can get a bulb number off of it. When I replaced a burnt out bulb I had to crimp on some different connectors to match what Mastercraft had on their bulbs, but the replacement bulb was an automotive bulb. You should be able to cross reference the bulb to an LED once you have a part number.

johkur
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I just got blown away to be told that the tower lights only have a 1 year warranty. The first season I barely used the tower lights, and the 2nd year used them probably another 15 minutes. Then one day, two of the 4 bulbs were burned out. I have to think that the boat had a power surge or the cans don't keep the bulbs cool enough, or some other wierd thing to make two bulbs burn out at once. they want $145 per bulb, plus labor. That works out to $290 for every half hour of usage, and that's beyond the initial cost of the speaker can's with lights in the first place.
Anyone else also having tower lights in the speaker can's mysteriously buring out in unison? does that model allow for a cheaper auto replacement bulb, or did the new lights in 2009/2010/2011 force the $145 bulb every half hour of usage?

Same with the tower camera. Another expensive option, and after 1.5 seasons (short season here in NJ), the plastic that holds the part in place for the camera to track the ski rope had a piece break out, and so now the camera no longer tracks the rope. That too is only a 1 year warranty it turns out. I always thought the boats had a 3 year warranty. that part breaks because some days you wakesurf, other days you wakeboard, and so the angle of the rope changes though the guide holder, and eventually, from the bending, it cracks and break the plastic around it, and then that option is shot too. Other people seeing that problem too?

bjames
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I can get the bulb locally for $6 at a light bulb store. You do NOT have to replace the whole lens fixture.

Not surprised, I asked my dealer how much a replacement trailer tire would be due to side wall damage I got from the launch. I was quoted over $1000. Apparently in the MC world, the tire is only available on the rim as a complete unit as they dont sell just the tire.

Aric'sX15
11-07-2011, 06:25 PM
same thing happened on my x-45 just contact your dealer and let them now it burned out an they can order you a new one thats the only way to get that type of bulb its about 220 dollars for one bulb

yikes you got screwed, i paid 10 bucks for one at autozone... it says the bulb type on the bulb

johkur
01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Yup, the bulb is available on its own, very inexpensive. The kind you need to not touch or else even skin oil can make it burn out, so just be sure to install carefully, using the wrapper to hold it while installing it.

Also pretty funny that the MSRP for a replacement bulb is $200, but you can actually buy the whole light upgrade including the bulb for $349 for a PAIR, which includes everything you need to upgrade a regular speaker to a lighted speaker, at http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_43.asp

And you can even choose an accent color, for less than the cost of the bulb that's in it :)

esu
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I love my MCX-2 and being part of the Mastercraft culture, but it is like owning a high performance German sports car. Dealer parts are always going to be very pricey and include an over engineered solution.

Get an over the counter bulb, use latex exam gloves, or even dish washing gloves to change the bulb.

Not to redirect, but can anyone recommend a NON mastercraft tower light. I pull into a poorly lit slip from time to time.

Thanks

johkur
01-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Mastercraft by design has a few different light options, haven't seen all those from mastercraft, at least not last year. they have light pods listed at http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_39.asp

klittle09
04-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Any help on how to take the light/speaker apart to replace the bulb?

klittle09
04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Sorry I have a 2006 X45 with 2 tower lights and one is burned out?

klittle09
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
New owner of an 06 X45 and one of my tower light bulbs needs replacing. I ordered the bulb already @ $20 but am looking for some help on line about taking apart the speaker/light assembly. Any help out there?

mcxfan
05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
It's fairly easy but its also been a while. I do remember you have to take the speaker out of the unit and access the light from the inside. I think you can take a screw out from there to replace the bulb. Sorry its been a couple years.. hope this helps.

rgardjr1
05-09-2012, 05:20 PM
New owner of an 06 X45 and one of my tower light bulbs needs replacing. I ordered the bulb already @ $20 but am looking for some help on line about taking apart the speaker/light assembly. Any help out there?

First you need to get the speaker out of the can. The gasket around the speaker usually holds the speaker very tightly to the can after you take the allen head bolts out so you will probably need to use a putty knife or something else try pry the speaker away from the can. Once the speaker is out there is a metal disc the separates the speaker part of the can from the front light section. This is held in place by a screw or two. Once this is out of the way you'll be able to swap in the new bulb.

klittle09
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Many thanks on the response. I followed your steps and it went well but figured out I have the wrong replacement bulb...Do I have to get a replacement from a dealership?

I saw on the thread people mention replacements from an autoparts store but no specifics...

Thanks again for the response.

mcxfan
05-23-2012, 04:04 PM
I got mine at o'reileys auto parts. Take the old one in and match it up. It was only a few bucks. Sorry i don't have the cross ref number....its been a few years.

501s
05-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Has anyone converted their tower lights to good LED bulbs? I was thinking of doing this with my 2013 lights and wanted to know if anyone has done this in the past and if so what LED bulbs did you use?

g-mantrix
07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Has anyone converted their tower lights to good LED bulbs? I was thinking of doing this with my 2013 lights and wanted to know if anyone has done this in the past and if so what LED bulbs did you use?

How did you get on with this 501?

g-mantrix
08-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Just was quoted $300 for a light bulb through our MC dealer here in Aus. Will check auto shoos for a suitable replacement

djue
04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
I know this post is fairly old, but I did not see where anyone remembered the replacement bulb type. The standard H3 bulb is a direct replacement for the forward facing OEM Mastercraft light pods/speaker light cans. i bought these standard Hellas for $5.67 a piece. Note that at least with the Hellas, you have to covert the spade connect to the Mastercraft bullet connectors or visa versa. Otherwise, the bulb is a direct fit with no other mod needed.