PDA

View Full Version : The Great Outdoors Suck My Wake

sten76
05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know what type/brand of boat the "Suck My Wake" boat was from the movie The Great Outdoors with John Candy & Dan Akroyd?

Thanks

ttu
05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
a jet boat

sten76
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Not, "a jet boat".

When Candy drives it up on the boat launch, it actually has a direct drive prop.

flipper
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Same kind that my brother in law has.

Bass Lake V-Drive Boat Show
I drove back up to Bass Lake this weekend for the second annual Bass Lake V-Drive Boat Show in the Pines Village sponsored by the Clasic V-Drive Club of America. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s these boats were the coolest things on the lake and almost 80 owners turned out this weekend to prove it all once again.

My good buddy Chris Blevins was front and center with Church Mouse, his legendary Hondo, turning away cash offers from those who’d grown up during it’s glory days as a lake racer. Scott and Dwight, the builders of Suck My Wake from The Great Outdoors, were there, as was Scott and Chris’ father Don, who celebrated his 80th birthday by dropping a 900 HP HEMI motor into his boat, Wine Cooler.

This year’s event was bigger than ever with a cover band cranking out ZZ Top and other tunes from the hey-day of hot boats.

Muttley
05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
IMDB says it's a continuity error. Two different boats. The one Candy is in is a jet, but it shows the prop scraping up the ramp.

It looks like it might be a V-Drive, tho'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNWdVWhyrlc&feature=related

Hollywood
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I haven't seen the movie in a while, nor can I find the skiing clip on youtube, but besides the fact there is a prop under the boat, the engine is backwards in the boat. Not to mention it wouldn't have accelerated nearly as fast if it were a jet boat in that ramp scene.

Jet boats like that are typically "direct" drive where you'll find the belts and such towards the bow, and a transmission of some sort on the back.

BriEOD
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
That is one of my all time favorite movie scenes!!

Ric
05-08-2008, 01:33 PM
You guys are all missing the point, it's a "kickass dragboat!"

flipper
05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
You guys are all missing the point, it's a "kickass dragboat!"

That it is!!!!!!

ORX-1
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Best movie ever.

Sodar
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
It's a V-Drive Flatbottom with a big ole' blower motor.

Chas
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I think the 'other' boat was in a different scene - a jet boat with John Candy skiing behind it?

ridesdirt
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Long time since I have seen it also. But you are right bad a$$ drag boat!

That movie is loaded with great "one liners".

The racoons talking "don't eat the hotdogs, there nothing but lips and a$$holes".

damaged442
05-08-2008, 11:10 PM
"Oh go find yourself a spin cycle!!"

SunCoast 83
05-10-2008, 09:36 AM
A few MC's in that movie too

focusfirst
01-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Does anyone know what type/brand of boat the "Suck My Wake" boat was from the movie The Great Outdoors with John Candy & Dan Akroyd?

Thanks
Suck My Wake Is a 1969 Hondo 21 concaved hull v-drive Drag boat. power was (at the time) a 454 Chevy with a 671 gmc/WEIAND blower. dry over the transom headers. this boat has appeared in many films over the years and is still the property of a prop cars company in southern California. you can lease it if you are a movie production company. when the movie premiered the boat was a key piece of the Exhibitors West trade show promotion. this film was screened prior to release at that show for theater owners. the boat and the bear were at the trade show for the final day of the event. this hull was a popular ski boat but a little long for the race crowd. there are no squirt boats featured in this film. I am told that the boat ramp thing was an accident that was left in because of it's comic value. the area interior edge around the engine has a more pronounced and raised ridge on a Sanger, aside from this difference the two hulls are almost identical in outward appearance

Monte
01-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Suck My Wake Is a 1969 Hondo 21 concaved hull v-drive Drag boat. power was (at the time) a 454 Chevy with a 671 gmc/WEIAND blower. dry over the transom headers. this boat has appeared in many films over the years and is still the property of a prop cars company in southern California. you can lease it if you are a movie production company. when the movie premiered the boat was a key piece of the Exhibitors West trade show promotion. this film was screened prior to release at that show for theater owners. the boat and the bear were at the trade show for the final day of the event. this hull was a popular ski boat but a little long for the race crowd. there are no squirt boats featured in this film. I am told that the boat ramp thing was an accident that was left in because of it's comic value. the area interior edge around the engine has a more pronounced and raised ridge on a Sanger, aside from this difference the two hulls are almost identical in outward appearance

Well there you have it

TMCNo1
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Well there you have it

Except for answering the question, "Are Drag boats intended to be driven by Cross Dressers/Drag Queens"?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif

flipper
01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Except for answering the question, "Are Drag boats intended to be driven by Cross Dressers/Drag Queens"?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif

You must be thinking of BU or Nautique owners:D

PaulW
01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
You must be thinking of BU or Nautique owners:D

Whats up with the bottom of your post
SAVE UMP, does he need saving?? and if so from what, the long cold iced over winter in northern MI?

flipper
01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Whats up with the bottom of your post
SAVE UMP, does he need saving?? and if so from what, the long cold iced over winter in northern MI?

They were trying to ban him.....I'll take it off. i think he's safe now:D

Itsme
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
The guys at my dealership - Midwest Mastercraft in MN - played a joke on me for my 06 X2 and put this decal on the front. Get some great looks and comments, especially when coming back to the boat landing!!
This is the fisrt of 3 "Suck My Wake" X2's that Corey has created for me.
Classic!!

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
The guys at my dealership - Midwest Mastercraft in MN - played a joke on me for my 06 X2 and put this decal on the front. Get some great looks and comments, especially when coming back to the boat landing!!
This is the fisrt of 3 "Suck My Wake" X2's that Corey has created for me.
Classic!!

I would make those stickers in reverese so the person in the boat in front can read it in there rear view mirror...like on an ambulance

Jim@BAWS

corey
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Man that Corey guy must be pretty cool!

Itsme
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Man that Corey guy must be pretty cool!

Questionable sexuality, even for a married guy. But still, pretty cool.

FI skier
02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
This came up on another boat group and the MC team talk were mentioned. as an owner of one of these types of boats I thought I would help get the story straight.
We now know what the boat manufacturer was but do you know who the stunt skier was?

It's a V-Drive Flatbottom with a big ole' blower motor.

Sorry not a Sanger or a Hondo.

It's a 19' Miller flatbottom. We built the boat for John Frazier in 1970. He was doing the special effects for the NBC Tonight show at the time. John started his own company called "Fxperts" in the late 70's and started doing special effects for movies. He did the special effects for "The Great Outdoors" and used his boat for the movie. Look at the deck!!! it's a dead give away. No one built a deck like ours. John Frazier is still in the business, he recieved an academy award for Spiderman II. He did the special effects for "Transformers" and all the Spiderman movies, along with over 80 other movies in the past 15 years.

3event
02-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Skier looks to be Bob LaPoint !
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095253/fullcredits

In case any young 'uns not familiar with Bob (I shudder at the thought):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_LaPoint

ski_king
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Skier looks to be Bob LaPoint !
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095253/fullcredits

In case any young 'uns not familiar with Bob (I shudder at the thought):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_LaPoint

I see Bob was in 2 other movies.
Almost Heroes (1998) (stunts) (as Bob La Point)
The River Wild (1994) (stunts)

Jim@BAWS
02-24-2009, 12:28 PM
We now know what the boat manufacturer was but do you know who the stunt skier was?

CARL ROBERGE

Roman 1
03-13-2009, 03:52 AM
Thank you FI skier for setting the record straight. I was amazed reading through this thread at how much bad info was here.

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6811Suck_my_Wake.jpg

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6811Suck_my_Wake_001.jpg

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6811Suck_my_Wake_002.jpg

These posts below are loaded with wrong info...
Suck My Wake Is a 1969 Hondo 21 concaved hull v-drive Drag boat. power was (at the time) a 454 Chevy with a 671 gmc/WEIAND blower. dry over the transom headers. this hull was a popular ski boat but a little long for the race crowd. . the area interior edge around the engine has a more pronounced and raised ridge on a Sanger, aside from this difference the two hulls are almost identical in outward appearance

I haven't seen the movie in a while, nor can I find the skiing clip on youtube, but besides the fact there is a prop under the boat, the engine is backwards in the boat. Not to mention it wouldn't have accelerated nearly as fast if it were a jet boat in that ramp scene.

Jet boats like that are typically "direct" drive where you'll find the belts and such towards the bow, and a transmission of some sort on the back.

Jordan
12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
yes it is a miller hondos and sangers do not have that deck sangers have a similar deck but more round at the bottom and top. I meet john at the lake 5 years ago and he told us about the boat. The motor was a blown 454 with a 671 blower. The blower was gutted out with the rotters removed and a tunnel ram was bolted under the blower if u look on the movie when the start it the pullies do not turn with the motor the alternater belt turns but not the blower belt does not. The blower is set on top of the tunnel ram. Alot of effort when the motor was already blown

Jim@BAWS
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
For your viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNWdVWhyrlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xjMEwncvA8

Jim@BAWS

Hollywood
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you FI skier for setting the record straight. I was amazed reading through this thread at how much bad info was here.

These posts below are loaded with wrong info...

Maybe you can correct me where I went wrong to prevent spreading further misinformation. Are a lot of jets still v-drive?

TMCNo1
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Maybe you can correct me where I went wrong to prevent spreading further misinformation. Are a lot of jets still v-drive?

Typically, no. The jet pump is normally located between the engine and the transom with the engine placed more forward, facing forward with the pump run off the rear of the engine.

Hollywood
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok so I wasn't grossly incorrect, thanks.

Sodar
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok so I wasn't grossly incorrect, thanks.

Roman1 must be a jet boater and probably takes offense to your statement about jet boats not accelerating like a v-drive does. Most squirt-boat owners have issues and feel incompetent when compared to an equal v-drive. :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

Hollywood
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Well that's all that's left to disagree with I think. In my OPINION, jet boats accelerate slow. ;)

Sodar
12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Well that's all that's left to disagree with I think. In my OPINION, jet boats accelerate slow. ;)

Making a lot of noise, not going anywhere! :D

Jordan
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM

No jets are driven off the rear of the motor and the motor is in forward and not in backwards driving off the the rear of the motor like a v-drive. The boat in the movie couldent have been a jet boat because the motor was in backwards the blower belt was facing the transome of the boat. The only time the motor in a v-drive is in forwards is generaly in a circle boat. They drive off the front of the motor to move the motor forward to better balance the weight between the v-drive and the motor. Jet boat motors are in farther back because the motors are in forward the motors are no closer to the driver. The jet drive is shorter then a v-drive

Miss Rita
12-08-2009, 08:05 PM
No jets are driven off the rear of the motor and the motor is in forward and not in backwards driving off the the rear of the motor like a v-drive. The boat in the movie couldent have been a jet boat because the motor was in backwards the blower belt was facing the transome of the boat. The only time the motor in a v-drive is in forwards is generaly in a circle boat. They drive off the front of the motor to move the motor forward to better balance the weight between the v-drive and the motor. Jet boat motors are in farther back because the motors are in forward the motors are no closer to the driver. The jet drive is shorter then a v-drive

I used to know the difference between jets and V-drives; not now!

Hollywood
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM

We've already established the boat in the movie is not a jet boat. It is clearly sitting on a propeller on the boat ramp.

The rest of your post, I cannot understand.

Jerseydave
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM

I agree. Years ago I had a '78 Challenger 18' jet boat, 454 BB Chevy w/berkely drive. On hard acceleration the engine would rev all the way up but it would take some time to get the boat up to top speed, where as a v-drive would accelerate right away and leave me in its wake. With equal horsepower, a v-drive will always beat a jet drive.

Gotta get one some day when I'm too old to ski and wakeboard! :D

KnoxX2
01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Just watched the Great Outdoorss with my kids!!!!!!! I love that movie and so did the kids!!!!!!

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Are JETBOATS left hand or right hand rotation?

Jim@BAWS

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Are JETBOATS left hand or right hand rotation?

Jim@BAWS

It depends which side of the equator you are on - just like with which way the toilet flushes.

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
It depends which side of the equator you are on - just like with which way the toilet flushes.

Now that is funny...I don't care who you are

Jim@BAWS

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Now that is funny...I don't care who you are

Jim@BAWS

Thank you, thank you very much.

DemolitionMan
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you, thank you very much.

Will you be here all week ?

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Will you be here all week ?

Most of us are not here all week...only 24/7

trickskier
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Most of us are not here all week...only 24/7

I'm only on when I'm not sleeping...................:rolleyes:8p

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm only on when I'm not sleeping...................:rolleyes:8p

So what you are trying to say is that you are getting off while you are sleeping. Is that what you are trying to say??

I just don't understand

trickskier
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
So what you are trying to say is that you are getting off while you are sleeping. Is that what you are trying to say??

I just don't understand

You catch on quick.............:D

SkiDog
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM

You DO know that the equator has NOTHING to do with the direction a toilet flushes, don't you?8p

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
[/COLOR]

You DO know that the equator has NOTHING to do with the direction a toilet flushes, don't you?8p

I think you and Rick are BI.....BI POLAR... Like the North and South Pole

Can I play to?...

IT IS FREAKIN FREZZIN here today. SLEET on the windshield in Land O Lakes on the way in HOLY CRAP

Hey Al Gore DID YA HERE THAT YOU P.O.S.

DemolitionMan
01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I think you and Rick are BI.....BI POLAR... Like the North and South Pole

Can I play to?...

IT IS FREAKIN FREZZIN here today. SLEET on the windshield in Land O Lakes on the way in HOLY CRAP

Hey Al Gore DID YA HERE THAT YOU P.O.S.

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmm,

thatsmrmastercraft
01-09-2010, 02:31 PM
[/COLOR]

Never gave it a thought. Just seemed like an appropriate reply.

My only concern on flushing direction is that it goes down.