PDA

View Full Version : Steering Problems

'82starsandstripes
05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
1983 Stars and stripes powerslot 351. Feels like its binding when turning left. Is there somewhere to grease it? Where do i start checking? Where are and how do i get to the steering box/ cable?? Thanks

Bruce Carr
05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Pull out the floor panel behind the motor box. You will see the rudder stuffing box with a grease zerk facing forward. Good luck. If the cable has never been replaced, you can pretty well count on replacing it as well.

'82starsandstripes
05-08-2008, 12:00 PM
thank you very much

Chaser_rct
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
My 81 did the same thing the steering was really tight to the left but moved freely to the right. I removed the housing behind the steering wheel and removed the cable. There was a kink keeping it from moving around the internal gears smoothly when you turned it to the left. If after greasing there is still no relief I would definately check there. Thats what it sounds like to me the guys at skidim.com can help you out i think i paid around 150 bucks for mine

'82starsandstripes
05-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks, sounds good going to check it tommorrow evening and i will let ya'll know how it turns out. thanks again

Chaser_rct
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
no problem let me know if i can help i still have my boat apart and can take pictures if needed

'82starsandstripes
05-10-2008, 10:41 AM
greased the fitting in the rear and also lubed that shaft back there too. Steering seemed nice and smooth after that, but have not put it in the water to make sure. Also, does anyone know if the boat suppose to turn further one way than the other? When turned full right the arm on the assembly i greased (the rudder stuffing box) actually hits on the back wall. Can i adjust this out of it by moving the shaft on that knuckle back there?

ShamrockIV
05-10-2008, 10:52 AM
man cable change in a 82 should be no sweat!! i just changed mine in the 209 and it only took 1 hour!! i could do it quicker now. for some reason MC ran the steering cable between the motor mount and the hull. have some bolt cutters to cut it if you have to like i did!! i can only guess that they put the steering cable in before they did the engine!!

long story to tell you that you should have no problems and it will make ur steering smooth as silk!!!

dealer wanted 200 bucks labor plus part cost to fix it!!!

'82starsandstripes
05-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Had it on the water sat. it was smooth as silk. Greasing the rudder stuffing box and lubing the shaft back there did it. Still wondering about adjusting that knuckle to keep the arm on the rudder stuffing box from hitting the back?