PDA

View Full Version : 06 X2 Taking on Water

wakecumberland
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
So I have had my new to me X2 out on the water 4 times so far this season and I have noticed that it is taking on too much water. After about 30 minutes out on the lake the bilge kicks on. I have the boat on a lift and have lowered it in the water and checked the rudder (greased it) and dripless packing and have not seen any evidence of water intrusion. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bigmac
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Sometimes these boats will take on water through the rub rail from splashing upward. Another leakage source can be the heater, if you have one - a busted heater core will do that too. You should (carefully) look around in the engine compartment with the engine running - see if there's leakage from a block fitting, the circulating water pump, or the raw water pump.

Just lowering it in the water without it running is usually enough to see leakage from the rudder port, but likely the shaft needs to be turning to see if the leakage from the packing is excessive.

wakecumberland
05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
I dont have a heater so thankfully, that is out. I guess I need to plan on getting down there with a flash light while the boat is moving to investigate.

wakeX2wake
05-08-2008, 09:55 AM
one thing you might consider is just running a water hose in the bilge w/ the boat completely dry on the trailer... add some water... if it can get in it can get out in the same spot... if you don't find it pouring it's probably splash from the rub rail so just keep the bilge on auto

Chas
05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Can this rub rail gap be sealed? Silicone or something similar?

wakeX2wake
05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
maybe some great stuff from the inside would help... i'd be extremely cautious though

badams
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Does your boat have a shower? Make sure it is turned off. Mine got turned on one time on accident. When you start running down the lake water will come right through the shower. Just open the back hatch and start driving. You will know immediately if that's what it is.

wpstevenson
05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Have you used the ballast system each time, a tank my be leaking. The water pickup valve for the ballast is another place even if you haven't used the pumps.

sand2snow22
05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
check the shaft seal?

bigmac
05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Can this rub rail gap be sealed? Silicone or something similar?
Silicone -- a nice, subtle bead around the lower edge. If it turns out to be an ongoing problem, you could remove the rub-rail insert, remove the run rail, silicone the shoe-box overlap, silicone and re-install the frame, reinstall the rubber insert. That's a bigger job than it sounds, and a significant PITA.

wakecumberland
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I do not have a shower so thats out and I really don't feel it is the rub rail. I have operated the ballast each time so that is something to consider. Anyone know where I should look specifically?

My thought would be to take all the panels off and go for a spin, check for leaks, then fill up the ballast and check for leaks. I probably wont get a chance to do this until next week but I will report what I find.

Thanks again for helping out a new member of tmcowners.com.

stuartmcnair
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
also, make sure none of your hoses are ruptured...

sand2snow22
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, could be a problem with one of your ballast hoses or connections!

ShamrockIV
05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
is the plug in good????

believe me it happens!!!!

it only takes once to break u!!!!

wakecumberland
06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I know it has been a month but I just now remembered to report my findings. The hose coming off the raw water pump to the tranny cooler was not on tight enough and water was leaking out around the end of the hose. Tightened it up and now its dry as a bone! Thanks Guys. Now if I could just figure out why my ballast pumps aren't working.

Lennyp04
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
As far as ballast goes... Could be a bad pump, could be the breaker popped or impeller.

Prostar19
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
This may be obvious but have you checked the shut off valve for the ballast pumps?

dapicatti
06-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Usually its the impellers......get the yellow ones and you will be really happy.

chestech
06-14-2008, 03:07 PM
It was obvious (clearly see the water dripping) but i had water coming from the exhaust, the clamps were loose. Also, I have had the shower leak. The (mine is blue) hose rubbed on the fan and developed a leak.