PDA

View Full Version : Dock Advice

c_craig
05-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Looking to purchase a new dock in norther Michigan, and have only had wood in the past. Does anyone have the Shorestation powder-coated aluminum product? Does it get too hot on the feet? Anyone familiar with Twin Bay (Traverse City, MI) system. We are looking at their vinyl deck product. Of course, wood is still an option. Both offer a cedar deck in an aluminum frame. Any other products I should look at? Just trying to get the most stable, durable, low maintenance product. It has to be removable for winter. If there is another thread for this already, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

bigmac
05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I've had a lot of docks over the years. Wood is too heavy and way too much work. Maintenance on steel is terrible - I'll never have a steel dock again. Likewise, no cedar decking - it usually needs to be power scrubbed and stained once a year or more. I have finally opted for a sectional dock - 10 foot aluminum sections with vinyl decking. Only way to go, IMHO. Literally no maintenance.

I pay a guy and his crew about $180/year to put the dock and the boat lifts in every year - one guy can carry one section, but with 5 guys, they get all that stuff put in in about 30 minutes.

http://www.dhdocks.com/docks/images/brock_vinyl.jpg

3event
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm with Bigmac. Wood = maintenance, weight. Synthetic = light & easy to clean.

We found a local dock fabricator that had a rugged aluminum product with several decking options. They did a slightly custom setup on leg lengths so that we have no upright posts above the deck level. Our personal preference is to have no posts in the way of kids jumping off / swimming / fishing / docking etc. Its a quick easy setup every spring, and the the deck sections are small & easy to handle.

sethro
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
We have the painted aluminum decking (painted white) and it is not hot on the feet. All my life we struggled with homemade wood/steel versions...heavy and a real pain in the butt.

About 4yrs ago we purchased all aluminum through Hewitt and love it! It's not the roll in type dock but that is very nice as well. Here is a pic:

CVandEVD
05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I would look at a Floe. Roll in sections, very stable, quick connecters and reversable wheels allow you to do virtaully anything with it, topside leveling. We LOVE it.

CVandEVD
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
OH, and I almost forgot to mention (this is actually one of the main reasons we bought a dock like this) NO TOE BUSTERS!! (i.e. posts, dock legs, etc)

CVandEVD
05-09-2008, 01:24 PM
www.floeintl.com

rrbooker
05-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I bought my S.S last year and I love it. It doesn't get hot and its easy to put in and out.

cdawake
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
are you looking for a floating dock or one on pilings/stilts?
we have a cedar log dock with TREX. Its nice on the feet and easy to clean, but slightly heavier. Its much more durable and maintenance-free than a cedar-deck dock that is less durable and needs staining.

c_craig
05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on a quote for vinyl, but the SS aluminum looks pretty nice.

rrbooker - Nice looking setup. Very similar to what we need to do. Did you get the 8x8 section for the end, or just put the 4x8's togther? Are the posts secure enough to tie up the X-star when not in the lift? Sweet lights... hadn't thought of that yet.

rrbooker
05-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I ended up going with a 6x8 & 4x8 on the "L". I would have gone with 2 4x8's, but I got a hell of a deal on the 6x8 since it had been sitting there for a year. IMO the 8x8 is to big if you are going to be taking it in and out of the water. I ended up buying a bubbler so i leave mine in all year.

The post are plenty strong enough for your boat when not on the hoist. My friend on the lake ties up to mine all the time.

Datdude
05-09-2008, 05:45 PM
PM at ya!

www.bulmanndock.com

or

www.floeintl.com

We are dealers for both and they are AWESOME! We carried Shorestation for a year and the galvanized leg frames scared a lot of people away. Let me know if you have any questions:cool: