PDA

View Full Version : Taking delivery of a new 214 - some ???'s

93Prostar190
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Hey everyone. You will have to pardon me for some questions on taking delivery on a brand new boat, but my previous MC was used and I am very familiar with the care of an older MC (my old 93 Prostar for example)

But with a brand new boat on the way, should be here in the next week, I want to ask some obvious questions to get everyone's insight

1. Teak - I know how to clean and restore older teak, but before I put many hours on this boat, does anyone have any recommendations on something I can do to the teak while it is pristine to make maintenance easier down the road?

2. Waxing - how soon after I take delivery can I wax the boat? or does it have some kind of factory coating that would prefer that I wait?

3. Break-in period - I know that the 1st hour is critical, but how many hours should I wait before slalom skiing (32-34 mph) with a brand new MCX engine.

4. Any other recommendations on a brand new boat, driving habits in the first 10 hours?

5. Any other maintenance (or preventative maintenance) that I should do before putting hours on the boat, or should I shut-up and get skiing?

My dealer will probably answer these questions but I wanted to get some input from TT.

Thanks in advance

lanier92prostar
05-07-2008, 11:27 PM
As far a break in procedures are concerned, they should be pretty specific in your owners manual. I have nothing for the rest of your questions. Haven't bought a new boat in 16 years.

OhioX14
05-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Congrats on the new 214! As an owner of basically the same boat I think you made a great choice and you can look forward to many years of great skiing behind your new boat.

Here's what we learned from our dealer:

1) We use a product called TeakWorks from Flood instead of Teak Oil as it is much easier to keep looking good and doesn't attract dirt. That said, there are many on this board who are diehard Teak Oil fans who would disagree. It's preference but whichever you choose I would hit it with several coats before hitting the water to make your life easier later.

2) Don't know if the boat already has wax on it or if they use wax as a parting agent to get the hull out of the mold. Couldn't hurt to give it a good coat, could it?

3) My dealer told us to go ahead and start skiing. The key is to vary your throttle and not hold it at any specific RPM for a significant length of time. A slalom run isn't very long.

4) See #3

5) Just go skiing and enjoy the boat!

Have fun!!

OhioX14
05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
BTW, we need pics as soon as you take delivery!!

93Prostar190
05-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback ..... waiting is killing me! I will gladly post pics once I have it. I am in Lewis Center, OH btw, where do you ski? We ski at O'Shaughnessy mostly although I live by Alum Creek.

2RLAKE
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
you will love that boat. I waited until I had 10 hours before we started to ski on ours. The other thing I do with new boats is change the oil & filter ... 5-10 hours, 25 hours, 50 hours, then every 50 hours thereafter. i think its important to change the oil during the breakin period. You can go ahead and wax it right away

Got to love us Ohio 214/X14 owners

OhioX14
05-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback ..... waiting is killing me! I will gladly post pics once I have it. I am in Lewis Center, OH btw, where do you ski? We ski at O'Shaughnessy mostly although I live by Alum Creek.

We're up near Akron and ski at a private lake about an hour from here. We've never skied down your way and have always been interested in checking out the two lakes near you and Apple Valley.

Ryan
05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

Congrats! Put up pics when you get the boat. I'll look for you this summer.
Just skied the X-14 on Sat at the Tri-Lakes Demo at Griggs. Nice boat.

jkski
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats! Put up pics when you get the boat. I'll look for you this summer.
Just skied the X-14 on Sat at the Tri-Lakes Demo at Griggs. Nice boat.

Ryan,
The X14 you skied behind was just sold to someone from that in-water show and will be headed your way....SO, it looks like you will just have to order a new one!!!

djhuff
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I picked up my boat early in the season, so I didn't have the itch to ride right away, we just took it out and rode up and down the lake, keeping the RPMs off of the rev limiter.

Don't baby it, go ahead and get it, but try to keep the rpms down below 3500 or so, and keep them varied. I waited until after the first oil change before adding any weight to the boat (we rode with ballast empty though).

FYI, I never burned any oil, even the first change.

Roonie's
05-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I picked up my boat early in the season, so I didn't have the itch to ride right away, we just took it out and rode up and down the lake, keeping the RPMs off of the rev limiter.

Don't baby it, go ahead and get it, but try to keep the rpms down below 3500 or so, and keep them varied. I waited until after the first oil change before adding any weight to the boat (we rode with ballast empty though).

FYI, I never burned any oil, even the first change.

Same here....... after I picked up my new 07 X2 last summer. We varied the throttle and no ballast until after break in period of 10 hours. Figured we wanted to do it right and the way our dealer suggested so that is what we did. Also no oil burned after the first 10 hour oil change.

Ryan
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Ryan,
The X14 you skied behind was just sold to someone from that in-water show and will be headed your way....SO, it looks like you will just have to order a new one!!!

Well, congrats on the sale on the sale nonetheless.
Did they come out in droves when the sky cleared?

jkski
05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't exactly say droves, but we had a few more although no one quite as crazy as you and footin' that were willing to ski in the rain.........DEDICATION vs. INSANITY vs. OBSESSION (you choose).

Great meeting you and hope to ski a bit this summer!

east tx skier
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
As far a break in procedures are concerned, they should be pretty specific in your owners manual. I have nothing for the rest of your questions. Haven't bought a new boat in 16 years.

Like you, I've not owned a new boat, but inasmuch as MC is the one who writes both the warranty and the owner's manual, I would go by the book to the extent it varies with what the dealer tells you.

east tx skier
05-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Duplicate. I'm slipping.

Ryan
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't exactly say droves, but we had a few more although no one quite as crazy as you and footin' that were willing to ski in the rain.........DEDICATION vs. INSANITY vs. OBSESSION (you choose).

Great meeting you and hope to ski a bit this summer!

Thanks for the pull. Next time I'll bring my swim goggles so we can really ski no matter how hard it's raining.

tallskiguy
05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I just picked up the boat you are talking about last week at the demo day. We mainly ski up at O'Shaughnassy, you'll see us up there.

93Prostar190
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
a 214 or x14? either way congrats ...... the water temp is on the way up at O'Shay .... we are mostly white 214 with a mini-tower and Pro Tour Red accents ..... see you out there .... just curious did you see my thread on the way the boat sits on the trailer? do you mind telling me if yours sits on the v-bunks? or is there a small gap and most of the bow weight is on the boat buddy?

Thanks and congrats!

Footin
05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I skiied at Griggs on Saturday, water temp was 57, buuurrrrrrr!

93Prostar190
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
O'Shay was in the low 60's .... brrr but do-able ... the wind was my biggest complaint. Hang in there the weather will eventually come around.