PDA

View Full Version : transmission dipstick???

rhsprostar
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Just to be sure, when you check the tranny oil do you read the level on the dipstick with it screwed all the way in, OR do you unscrew it clean it off and then dip it in without screwing it all the way in to see the correct level? I think I'm getting confused with my Yamaha snowmobile which is the latter.

russlars
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Amazing. Great minds think alike!:) See my thread with some of the same questions: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23212
Anyone out there know?

bigmac
05-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Don't screw it in. The usual convention for this and other types of such dipsticks is push it in until the should of the disptick rests on the case. Just like on a 4-stroke Yamaha snowmobile.

bbeach
05-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I accidentally left my dipstick unscrewed in my tranny for 2 seasons.

uawaterskier
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
thats interesting...because we I was working on small gas motors with the same type dipstick I was told to read them with it screwed in.

russlars
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
So which is it, screwed in or not. That is the question. Anyone with authority out there to put this question to rest?:confused:

vogelm1
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
My transmission manual says check it without screwing in...that is the correct method.

bigmac
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
So which is it, screwed in or not. That is the question. Anyone with authority out there to put this question to rest?:confused:

LOL. I guess I must have made my post above in invisible mode.

russlars
05-07-2008, 02:15 AM
LOL. I guess I must have made my post above in invisible mode.
Yes, I did see your post. However, there was an equally convincing opinion to yours stated by usawaterskier 2 posts after yours. Since vogelm1 has stated an authoritative source (the manual) I think the question has now been put to rest!

uawaterskier
05-07-2008, 02:54 AM
Yes, I did see your post. However, there was an equally convincing opinion to yours stated by usawaterskier 2 posts after yours. Since vogelm1 has stated an authoritative source (the manual) I think the question has now been put to rest!
agreed if the manual says thats the way it should be done, then thats how it should be done.

edit:I greatly amazed the "opinion" wasn't thrown out just because I'm a younger guy. Most people automatically assume that anyone young doesn't know what they are talking about. My opinion is I can learn something new from anyone, younger or older than I. I guess that's my .02

rhsprostar
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
So check it without screwing it in right? Is it the same for both the power slot and regular trannys? Different manufacturers?

uawaterskier
05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
So check it without screwing it in right? Is it the same for both the power slot and regular trannys? Different manufacturers?
seems to be what the book says...check it with it out