PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sender install

akps190
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I have a 98 PS 190 and need to replace the fuel sender. It is located directly below an opening behind the rear seat which is big enough to get one hand in. It appears that trying to replace the sender thru the hole has a potential for loosing the screws; and I can barely reach the wiring harness connector and once it is disconnected, reconnecting it with one hand looks tough. Any better way to do this?? Thanks.

JimN
05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Directly? Not necessarily. I always found it easier to just slide the tank out enough to replace it. You may need to remove the fill tube from the neck on the tank but that's no biggie.

flipper
05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Directly? Not necessarily. I always found it easier to just slide the tank out enough to replace it. You may need to remove the fill tube from the neck on the tank but that's no biggie.
That's how I did mine. Pretty quick and easy to slide the tank out a little.

akps190
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks.... I thought about that, but didnt readily see how to get the rear seat back off. I'll look again closer, must be some way...

Thanks again...

JLeuck64
05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I've had my 98 completely apart and back together again(see my photos). To get my tank out required cutting about 1 inch of the decking that wraps down over the tank to the floor. Strange but true, I could not get my tank out no matter which way I tried to angle the tank. They must have installed the carpeting and then the tank before setting the deck onto the hull...

Try this, remove the rear storage compartment. Unbolt the sunpad then unscrew the storage compartment that sits over the tank. That should give you enough room to work on the sender. If not and you still need to pull the rear seat back out, at least it will be easier to get to the fasteners.

Hope this helps,

JimN
05-06-2008, 07:41 PM
"Pretty quick and easy to slide the tank out a little."

Especially if the tank is empty. I used to like when people would bring their boats in for this kind of thing immediately after filling it.

JLeuck64
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
That's FUNNY JimN,
My customer's vehicles always had fuel pumps die when the tank was close to full also. Quite a lot of weight in those tanks when you have to lower them out of a vehicle...
Made me appreciate the ones that were running on fumes when they died.

JimN
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I needed to have the fuel sender replaced in my LeSabre because the return line was leaking. I got there on fumes and I thought the guy was going to hug me when I told him it was past empty.

Prostar205mrk
05-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I am in the process of replacing my fuel sender on my 97 prostar 205, and have the tank slid forward.

Remove the rear seat, seat back and kick board below the rear seat. Unbolt the clamp holding your fuel filter.

On mine the back rest of the back seat has two sections in the corner that partially obsruct the tank removal. They are bolted on. Reach behind the seat backs from the ski storage on each side. You will feel the nuts on the back of the seat back studs. I believe mine were 3/8", and were easily turned off with an open end wrench. There were 3 on each seat back that could be removed this way.

There is another similar nut to be removed on the seat back that can be reached from the fuel tank opening.

Once the seat backs are off you will have access to the tank.

There are four brackets that hold the tank in. Each bracket is held by two large phillips head screws. Remove the brackets.

The tank will now slide around a little. You will have to remove the speedometer tubing from the vacuum buffers (brass cylinders) befroe pulling the tank out.

You will also have to remove the fuel fill line from the tank as it is very rigid and will not let the tank move far. Loosen the two hose clamps and slide them back on the fill line. Slide the tank to port side to allow room to pull hte fill line off of the tank stem.

The tank will now come out enough to change the sender, but will still be constrained by the vent line and the fuel line to the engine.