PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Level

russlars
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I am a little puzzled on how to verify the proper level of transmission fluid on my '99 205 with the 1:1 Hurst transmission. The manual says to check the level after you have been running for at least 5 minutes, but then it says you must do it quickly before the fluid all runs back into the tranny or something like that??? Also, there are 2 marks on the dipstick. Is it safe to assume that the lower one is the cold level and the upper one is the hot level (like in a car auto transmission)? Also, should the dipstick be screwed all of the way back in before you withdraw it to check the fluid level, or do you just stick it in and bring it back out? (the 2 marks are only about 1/2" apart so this could make a big difference):confused:

vogelm1
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Fluid should be checked hot and just after you shut down the engine. Fluid remains in the lines going to the transmission cooler and if this is allowed to run back into the tranny, it'll give you a higher-than-normal reading. However, I've checked mine "cold" and there really isn't a quantum difference on the stick level. Check by NOT screwing the stick back in...just 'till it touches the tranny housing. Two marks indicate "high and "low" levels as you stated.

russlars
05-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. It all makes sense now! I think I got it.:D