PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Your Cover (Revisited)

east tx skier
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I know this has been discussed, but what's the procedure for waterproofing the boat cover. If I remember, 303 was the answer. I've done that and it doesn't seem to repel the rain like the newer sunbrella cover's I've seen. Am I just not applying it liberally enough? Or is there something else I should be doing?

AirJunky
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm not familiar with 303 but have used a product known as Aquatite on this boat & my last one. The stuff is great & will easily waterproof a paper towel. My factory MC cover was totally waterpoofed till it bagan rotting in various places...... which wasn't too unexpected since the PO had left the boat sitting in a barn for 6 years & several other pieces had rotted prior to this.

Anyway, heres the stuff: http://www.autostyles.com/aquatite.htm

east tx skier
04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out. Does it still breath a little with this stuff on there? Not a huge concern as I usually keep it inside loosely covered. I just didn't want to create a little hydroponic garden in the boat. :)

east tx skier
04-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Ah, it appears I may have been using the other 303. Ooops.

303 Fabric Guard (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=29835)

AirJunky
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Oh yea, it'll breathe. I used the stuff for 4 years on a factory cover outside in the Seattle area...... where there is a constant drizzle for 6 months thru the winter & spring. Never had much of anything growing in there.
I replaced it with a Sunbrella cover last year. This winter in eastern WA., which is a lot more like TX weather, I double covered the boat. Absolutely nothing has grown inside there at all.

h20_skidog
04-07-2005, 08:51 AM
east tx skier,

Clicked on your link above and it appears to me anyway that Overton's may have a problem with the pricing of that item.

east tx skier
04-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, That's enough to rule out 303 in favor of aqua-tite. I don't care how much the price of petroleum has gone up, that little bottle shouldn't be $80.

east tx skier
04-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Oh yea, it'll breathe. I used the stuff for 4 years on a factory cover outside in the Seattle area...... where there is a constant drizzle for 6 months thru the winter & spring. Never had much of anything growing in there.
I replaced it with a Sunbrella cover last year. This winter in eastern WA., which is a lot more like TX weather, I double covered the boat. Absolutely nothing has grown inside there at all.

Thanks a bunch. Sounds like it'll work fine.

east tx skier
04-07-2005, 03:41 PM
The prices at other places is around $10 for the 303. You're right, looks like Overtons has a misprint. I can't find it in their paper catalog though.

NeilM
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
$7.99 is what it's supposed to say.

Doug, it works great -- I've tried tent (not the canvas tent) waterproofing via a Wagner Paint Sprayer - it works too, but (for me) didn't last as long.