PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pump Impellers

Blair
05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Getting geared up for the season, i am going to be buying new ballast pump impellers (06 X-10) just wondering what the difference between the "black" ones and the "yellow" ones is?

are they interchangeable? is one noticeably better than the other? etc?

thanks in advance guys

prostar205
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I have used both the black and yellow versions. I think most people will tell you the yellow ones work better. They (yellow ones) are more pliable (softer) and are made from a lower durometer material. This allows them to not get stuck in one position when installed and thus allowing them to reverse easier than the black ones.

Now, for my situation, the black ones works alot better. They are able to primp the pumps alot faster and just seem to push more water. I think it is because they can create a high pressure within the pump cavity.

I have a set of yellows and black and all I use is the black and they work great.

ORX-1
05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I had the black because they come stock on the MC's ( I think at least) my first season out they had to be replaced and they put in the yellow.

Does anyone know how to do this yourself? I always go to the dealer...

Blair
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
are they fully interchangeable? or will i have to worry about them not being compatible?

dsoby
05-06-2008, 05:54 PM

prostar205
05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I had the black because they come stock on the MC's ( I think at least) my first season out they had to be replaced and they put in the yellow.

ORX-1: Two of your pumps are installed with the cover facing up - those should be the center and passenger side pumps. Those are the two easy ones to replace. Simply remove the three brass machine screws holding the cover plate on and take the old impeller out and install a new one. You may want to coat the new impeller with some water soluable vasaline (spelling) to make it easier to get them in. Now, for the hard one (drivers side): this pump is maore than likely mounted in an inverted configuration compared to the others. The cover plate will be on the bottom making it virtually imposssible to remove the screws and take the impeller out. You actually have to remove the 4 screws/grommets holding the pump to the transome of the boat. This will give you enough room to rotate the pump, remove the 3 brass screws and replace the impeller.

Have fun!!!!

prostar205
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
are they fully interchangeable? or will i have to worry about them not being compatible?

Blair - Yes, the new yellow impellers are 100% interchangeable with the old black impellers.

treptowr
05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I switched mine out to the yellow and they have been working without problem. As prostar205 mentions, I too noticed that they don't seem to pump as much water? But I'll take slower over a stuck impeller. I'm not in that big of a hurry.

ORX-1
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
ORX-1: Two of your pumps are installed with the cover facing up - those should be the center and passenger side pumps. Those are the two easy ones to replace. Simply remove the three brass machine screws holding the cover plate on and take the old impeller out and install a new one. You may want to coat the new impeller with some water soluable vasaline (spelling) to make it easier to get them in. Now, for the hard one (drivers side): this pump is maore than likely mounted in an inverted configuration compared to the others. The cover plate will be on the bottom making it virtually imposssible to remove the screws and take the impeller out. You actually have to remove the 4 screws/grommets holding the pump to the transome of the boat. This will give you enough room to rotate the pump, remove the 3 brass screws and replace the impeller.

Have fun!!!!

Man that sounds like no fun at all! Hopefully they won't go out this year!

Jerseydave
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
They're actually not hard to replace at all. Like prostar said, for the inverted pump, take the pump off the transom and then you can see the screws and get to them easier.

treptowr
05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
the pump you say is inverted, is actually installed the correct way. They are suppose to be installed with the impeller on the bottom according to the pump manufacturer. My passenger side pump went out and I replaced it and installed it with the impeller facing down per instructions. It makes sense to have the water at the bottom of the pump, not near the top so if it leaks, it runs into the pump motor. I took my old pump apart and it was full of rust. I cleaned it up really good and had to epoxy some magnets back in place. It is now working, sounds a little rough, but it's my back up pump now.