PDA

View Full Version : New E3 Spark Plugs in MasterCraft

footerj
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Has anyone used these new E3 Spark Plugs http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ in their MasterCraft? I saw them on Horsepower TV and wondered if they would be worth giving a try. What do you all think?

Thanks

#47of100TeamMC
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Do you have problems with your current Spark Plugs? If it aint broke...don't fix it.

JimN
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
A set of those, a Tornado and the magnets that clip to the fuel line to improve fuel economy and we have a motor that far exceeds all design criteria, right?

Or, we have wasted more than a hundred bucks on someone's scheme to get rich.

"The initial combustion wave leaves the spark area at supersonic speeds above Mach 1"

Not only is this redundant, if the fuel/air mixture burns too fast, it's called 'detonation'.

Ever seen NGK spark plugs with four cathodes? The Mazda RX7 has used those since the '70s.

On an '80s 351 with no major mods for performance, any difference will be minor. Keep the oil clean, good gas, keep it tuned properly, keep the flame arrestor clean and don't overheat it- you'll get a long life from it.

footerj
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I figured they were probably a gimic like past plugs, but just wondered what everyones thoughts were.

gigem75
05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
"Not only is this redundant, if the fuel/air mixture burns too fast, it's called 'detonation'. "

No, if the spark plug initiates detonation the mixture is igniting when it is supposed to. You can get into all kinds of theories of flame propagation and patterns but detonation which should really be called pre detonation is when detonation is caused by the compression of the fuel/air mixture, before the spark plug initiates combustion. Diesels do it all the time but they are designed for it.
There have been attempts somewhat successfully I might add to improve the flame propagagtion in the cylinder head by using two spark plugs but no matter how fast the combustion happens if it happens when the spark plug/s tell it to it is not called detonation/predetonation.

JimN
05-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Knock is known as detonation. That's not the same as ignition, which is what we want.

"pre detonation is when detonation is caused by the compression of the fuel/air mixture, before the spark plug initiates combustion"

Or, pre-ignition, but it's still ignition at the wrong time. If you have read their Products tab, they say they ran them for 500 cycles- that hardly sounds like a thorough test.

Either way, this isn't a new thing- Split fire is another attempt at it, IIRC. I'd like to find out who their "experts" were.

djhuff
05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Replaced mine with MC plugs at the beginning of this year. Surprisingly, I think I'm getting a little better "mileage" out of my gas. Might be just wishful thinking.

gigem75
05-08-2008, 02:58 PM
NGK are the best plugs made, they resist fouling because the clay they make the ceramic insulator from is only found in one lagoon in Japan and it is collected by nubil young beautiful Japanese women wearing only the clay they collect.

JimN
05-08-2008, 04:30 PM
"and it is collected by nubil young beautiful Japanese women wearing only the clay they collect."

We need a smiley that drools.