08-09-2004, 10:59 AM
There.

I said it.

MarkP
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
A man has got to do what a man has got to do:noface:

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 11:15 AM
I pulled a zip sled yesterday. Couldn't beat the smile on the kid's face. That said, my boat is still tube free.

MarkP
08-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Doug

What is a zip sled? Sounds like fun.

Knoxes
08-09-2004, 11:21 AM
I feel better now that I told you guys.

bcampbe7
08-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Knoxes-
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem... :D
Just kidding... :uglyhamme

tall_ andy
08-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Step 2.......Find a support group
You have that here I'm sure there are many "tubers" that still have not admitted their "problem" Mabye your bravery will help them as well
:D :D

jimmer2880
08-09-2004, 11:34 AM
To "one up it".... last week after skiing hard - we decided to pull my 16 month on the tube (wifey driving, I"m on the tube with the baby). After about 30 minutes, she finally got tired of tubing & was ready to come in. I was completely beat, but decided to have the wife pull me on the tube.

It was actually fun.

There - I said it. TUBING IS FUN! :o Especially when you can't do anything else.

I have been a staunch anti-tuber for most of my skiing life. So, of course, on a day when there is nobody on the water & I take my first Tube ride - who shows up? Of course... many of my skiing buddies.

I'm really scared as to what's going to happen next.

So far - that's my only non-baby related tube ride. Currently seeking counseling at www.tmcowners.com (http://www.tmcowners.com) to help with my "problem".

Please help! :uglyhamme

Knoxes
08-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I think I'm gonna call it a zip sled going forward. I can live with that.

bcampbe7
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
My name is Beau and I have tubed... (Not behind my boat though)

a resounding "Hi Beau..."

OhioProstar
08-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I pulled two five year olds yesterday....and dog gonnit....it was fun.

Then again the water was too chopped up to ski.

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey, take that back. It's not a tube. And if anyone actually has a zip sled in good shape that they want to sell, we'll buy it.

The zip sled my father in law lent us is an Admiral Zip Sled made by the General Foam Plastics Company in Norfolk VA. It is light blue. They haven't been made in 20 or so years as I understand it. This is what we all learned to be on the water on. They are like little plastic sleds that attach to the boat. You can lie on them, kneel, sit, or stand (they have a little rope/handle attached to the sled. It's a great transition to skiing. Unlike a tube, you an control it by setting a bit of an edge, cross the wake, or ride straight. No high speed donuts necessary. Kid was all smiles.

I grew up riding an orange one and a yellow one. I think one was called a water tobogan.

Anyway, these things are getting a little scarce, so if you have one that's in good shape and don't want it, I'll take it off your hands for a fair price.

They used to have a ton of the orange ones at Schliterbahn in New Braunfels (Lee). I'm going to try to get in touch with them to see if they still have some they'd sell me. If you ever happen that way and think to ask them about 'em, let me know.

jimmer2880
08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
I still have my orange "Sked"... that's what I grew up on until my feet were big enough for the "kiddie" skis.

I was trying to talk my wife into letting me put our 16 month on it one night during the week this week. Still working on her though... tough sell.

and no - I'm not looking to get rid of my "Sked" anytime soon. 8p

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Jimmer, any idea where I might pick up one? Is "sked" the actual name on it for internet search purposes. The one I grew up riding wasn't mine (or I'd still have it). I think they're the best "first rides" for the kids, and are easier to control than the skimmers overtons is selling these days.

The orange one has handles on the sides right?

jimmer2880
08-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Actually - now that I think about it, I believe it was called: "Bob Sked" or some variation of Bob-Sked, etc.... Mine still has the sticker on it so I'll take a closer look tonight.

Yes, it has the handles on the sides & the places for your feet if you want to sit-upright. Also has the handle attached to stand up if you wanted to.

I remember being towed at "in-gear" speed behind our old outboard for hours at a time. The family would go out for (what I called at the time) an old-folks cruise. I'd go along and spend the entire time on the Sked.

I found nothing on Google, Yahoo or Ebay though.... Good luck. I own the only one I knew existed.

Weird how something so perfect for someone too young for skiis can just "disappear" from manufacturing.

I'll keep my eyes open for one if I see anything I'll post it here.

Knoxes
08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
east - whateva you need to tell yourself, man. Just remember - denial ain't no river in Egypt.

*ATTENTION, everyone! There will be a meeting in the small conference room (men's restroom) for friends and family members of EastTxSkier, to discuss proper intervention techniques, detaching with compassion and proper delivery of "remember, we love you" (with emphasis on 'we'). Coffee (no sugar, no cream) and Camels unfiltered will be provided.

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Jimmer, that's it. That's exactly what I rode for years. Take good care of it, and expoxy it if you have to. I just emailed this water park about them. Also, I just found something that is shown doing the same thing on www.oshmans.com. It's not what we grew up with, but it'd serve the same purpose.

Knoxes, I'm LOLROTF! When we get some pictures up, you'll see that this thing is no innertube. We actually own a tube and it's still in the original box. You guys have fun in the $hitter talking about me! :)

JEREMY79
08-09-2004, 02:30 PM
i'll admit it.
had a tore up knee for a while and cant really ski or wakeboard aggresivlly. so here i come tube

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 02:48 PM
The proof is in the picture. I have not pulled one for about 1 1/2 months, but I have two!

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 02:51 PM
HIIIII BEAUUUU!!!

Yes, the tube can be fun. Especially when you have on that fits 3 full grown men. Nothing like doing cartwheels across the water.

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 02:53 PM
KNOXES....LMFAO!!!

Tell him, he's not allowed to wear those shorts! :banana:

Knoxes
08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Must. resist.

happy place.... happy place...

[Connelly Concept... rainbow rope.... orange bouys....]

NSXBill
08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Need I say more...

lakes Rick
08-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Isnt the big post in the middle of my boat a "tube puller"??

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Yo Rick,

Do you even own a set skis? I thought you and JimN were here for mechanical support! :D

André
08-09-2004, 10:30 PM
LOL all the way down that thread!
Still tube free for 2 years now.
I used the patches...

Mag_Red
08-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Nothing more fun than throwing a couple of young kids off the tube :woohoo: I never ride the damned thing......mch better ways of injuring myself :headbang: , but if you want to ride the tube you have to knock me off first :D
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=236&stc=1

lakes Rick
08-10-2004, 01:28 AM
BriEOD....

Very funny... I will have you know I have a pair of Ducks in the ski locker... I think any way... And dont forget my "Big Easy".......

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 06:27 AM
It's about the kids man..... The KIDS love it.... This thread is funny as heck though.....

Where did you find that patch? I need to get some of those for my addiction.

I checked my shed last night.... the zip-sled is called a "bob sked". I didn't find any company info on the label though (after 30 years - who'd guess?) I pulled my wife & daughter on it over the winter through the snow behind the tractor. You should have seen the grin on her 9 month old face.... Priceless! I did watch out closely for stones though since that is what she & my next (not-conceived yet) will be using.

I'll keep my eyes out for one. They have to exist somewhere.

Knoxes
08-10-2004, 09:20 AM
jimmer, is that a 12V air pump in your pocket or are you just happy to see us?

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Knoxes... (where is that scratching head guy anyway?) :confused:

But - yes one of my tubes has a 12v air pump... super sweet! Tube inflates in :30 & deflates even quicker.

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Jimmer, thanks for the info. I called that water park in New Braunfels, and that's what they had on that ride. Unfortunately, the ride is long gone, and they "destroyed" all the bob-skeds. D'Oh. Other than the hydroslide version I found, I've been looking at some snow sled designs that I'm convinced will work. They're hard plastic and are hollow, yet sturday. They even have the rope. And if they don't float, I could probably shoot 'em full of foam!

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, not only have I pulled a tube but....ughh...a....surfboard :noface:

jimmer2880
08-11-2004, 02:25 PM
At least you need talent to ride a surfboard. I have no problems at all with pulling a surfboard, piece of round plywood (disk), skateboard, etc....

Surfing is hard. I've done it before.... fun! Especially after a long day of skiing.

Actually.... whatever floats your boat is fine with me. Pull what you want as long as you don't trash my water.

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 02:46 PM
My initial objections to tubes has always been that they make a mess of skiable water. But, it being a public lake, that's a selfish objection. Recently, an 18-year old girl was killed on a lake we frequent when, because she could apparently not control the tube, she collided with a channel marker. It was a very sad situation.

When I was a kid, I rode a tube a handful of times, but always was out to ski or do something else. Of course, I remember being on the tube, and the whole object was to see how long you could hold on while the driver whipped you around in circles, and dragged you through monstrous wakes. I've seen too many people do this with disregard both to the safety of his own rider, and other boats on the lake.

It's never enough to pull the kid in a straight line, either for the kid or the driver. Combine that with the fact that these tubes don't have any real control surfaces on them (apart from dragging your feet in the water), and it's just a recipe for trouble.

I know that there are plenty of people who have a ball on these things, and the last thing I want to do is be a kill joy on it, but I'm not wild about the things and have said what I wanted to say. That's why I don't pull 'em.

My niece rode a zip sled this weekend. She smiled like I've never seen her smile. And when it started to get pulled outside the wake, she set an edge and brought it back to the middle. I guess we need to work on her courage a bit. :D

stevo137
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
We just bought an Airhead with the fins. You can steer it. Everyone including the BIG kids love it. It's the one that will hold 1-2 riders. We also have two O'Brien Sting's.
One of my customers visited the lake last weekend and rode it with his son and then he rode it alone. They had a great time.

Ron Grover
08-12-2004, 09:24 AM
Last week on vacation I offered to pull a tube but the people with us used their in/out to pull it.

Been feeling guilty about subjecting my poor baby to something like this all week. After this post went out to the garage last night and apologized. Rubbed her with a soft towel. I think she forgives me now.

phecksel
08-12-2004, 11:27 AM
I am the tube master driver. Actually had a smart a$$ nephew of a neighbor said nobody could ever get him off a tube. Wimpy, absolutely wimpy. Barely got started and he was already off. Don't need high speed, just a really good eye for distance, inertia, and good luck.

6balls
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I had a couple of drunk townies ask me to pull them on a tube once, while we were at a the weekly tie up on Okauchee Lake. I eagerly agreed when they brandished a childs tube and indicated that they wanted to go double on the same tube. The entire event lasted about 3 minutes as I whipped them around at about 35 mph and the tube disintegrated and they went cartwheeling off. THey thought this was very cool and carried the tube around like some sort of demented trophy for the balance of the afternoon.

Also - I see my old 2002 PS 197 on the water all the time and the only thing it ever pulls is a tube!

Bert
08-12-2004, 03:42 PM
6balls, keep up the good work. If we all pull tubes like that maybe we can eliminate the dam things. I was just a at a very nice lake where we had to slalom at 6AM to get flat water. Once the tubers saw that they were out at 5:30 AM to get as they put it, smooth water before we wrecked it for tubing. Couldn't believe it

Oh ya, I have to pull one from time to time. I wouldn't buy one so the mother in law gave one of those double things to the kids :mad:

lakes Rick
08-12-2004, 07:23 PM
I had a couple of drunk townies ask me to pull them on a tube once, while we were at a the weekly tie up on Okauchee Lake. I eagerly agreed when they brandished a childs tube and indicated that they wanted to go double on the same tube. The entire event lasted about 3 minutes as I whipped them around at about 35 mph and the tube disintegrated and they went cartwheeling off. THey thought this was very cool and carried the tube around like some sort of demented trophy for the balance of the afternoon.

Also - I see my old 2002 PS 197 on the water all the time and the only thing it ever pulls is a tube!

6balls, I think I know them... Did they have any teeth???/

6balls
08-12-2004, 09:53 PM
6balls, I think I know them... Did they have any teeth???/

The two that they had between them got knocked out during the tubing run.

Did I mention that this whole thread is very disturbing - We have all exposed ourselves a bunch of closeted tube pullers. We are in many ways like the Governor of New Jersey.

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Yeah, but whaddyaaa gonna do? :confused: The litte ones dig the tube. I had my tube out 2 days ago the first time in over a year or two. My daughters last hoo-rah before school started. She had a ball! You guys try and tell the cute sweet little girls they can't ride the tube when they make the "sad face." It's like Kryptonite!

bradamerry
08-13-2004, 08:46 AM
BriEOD, I can't agree more. I just loaded it the boat for the weekend trip. I just look on the bright side, at least I'm not pulling it with a Bayliner!

MarkP
08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Bri

YUP..

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey MarkP,

Had another ultrasound yesterday. The little dude is 7 pounds! They're going to induce her on 2 Sept if she doesn't have him sooner. That'll be 39 weeks. Getting excited!! :woohoo:

MarkP
08-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Never let them outnumber you man!! :noface:

That’s coming up fast.. Are you still going to be in (school/out of work/??) ?:toast:

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I'll still be in school, but I get paid to go to school. Instead of going to a cubicle I go to college and still pick up a paycheck. How's that for a deal...

MarkP
08-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Thank me, ;)

BriEOD
08-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Why, you don't pay taxes...LOL! :banana: Now, I should quantify what I said cause it's a little misleading, I'm not making EVERYTHING I would make if I was working, but it's a small sacrifice for a BIG pay raise when I'm done. :banana:

Funny, I was talking to Carla <wife> about what you posted about me needing the 205 now. She was actually pretty receptive about it. However, it's not time yet. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready I can find some guy like Nick or Bill or Dan that has babied the hell out of a 209 a few years old and is ready to upgrade. :steering:

BTW, what's the deal, Doug gets a day off from work and thinks he doesn't have to post on here? He's slipping, you better talk to him...LMAO :noface:

DanC
08-13-2004, 03:56 PM
We all know Doug is a slacker :uglyhamme . This "time off" may cost him the top poster postion :purplaugh .

Brian, I kept my last boat for 13 years so don't hold your breath.

Seriously, I kept the closed bow until the boys were teenagers. When they are small, everything about them is small, small clothes, small vests, small skis, small amount of food..... So the closed bow was fine. Then they got to the age where each had their own slalom ski, their own wakeboard, their own helmet, their own girlfriends :eek: , a wakeskate, a surf board, barefoot suits, three tubes and enough food and drink to feed a football team.

tall_ andy
08-13-2004, 04:18 PM
And I just got my closed bow this year and we're expecting in Feb. Hopefully we'll be able to keep the 190 for as long as you did Dan, but just in case I've already planted the seed about a bigger boat when we have a bigger family :D

DanC
08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
tall andy, dude, quite planting seeds, that's what gets you into trouble :purplaugh

BriEOD
08-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Dan, LOL!!! Yeah isn't that the truth. This is it for us!

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 12:36 PM
One thing's for sure, if I ever get a lakehouse, it'll have web service. We were down on a lake in central Texas from Thursday to Sunday and were web-deprived. Fortunately, there was plenty of beer for apres ski. Taking a while to get caught up around here. Oh, and by the way, three tournament boats, 4 kids under age 6, and no tubes. Kids had a ball. Sad face nothing, you're bigger than they are. They were all smiles on the zip sled.

stevo137
07-25-2005, 05:13 PM
OK, OK, at my brother in laws request.
He got a good taste of my Airhead! :D

Granite_33
07-25-2005, 06:27 PM
1 Time a year all my brothers, sisters, neices and nephews show up and expect to toob....I hate doing it, so I beat the living h*ll out of them.

(yes for 1 weekend, I am one of those drivers :mad: )

This was the common position of all the riders.............

bradamerry
07-25-2005, 06:39 PM
What toobs, never!!!! ;)

Farmer Ted
07-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Toobman?????

Farmer Ted
07-25-2005, 07:07 PM
one more from the 4th....

mcprostar197
07-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Yah, over the 4th of July I pulled a tube, then my friend pulled them behind her brothers X-7 attached to the tower. That was pretty crazy to watch. The kids on the tube got some rediculous air.

djhuff
07-26-2005, 08:22 AM
I pulled a tube this past weekend, but it was to get some good wakeboard pics. Positioned the tube about 10 feet in front of the rider, great angle.

gr8smiles
07-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes....I pulled two tubes....loaded with cheerleaders... :banana:

ski_king
07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Thats OK in my book!!

Granite_33
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM

I envy the guy on the right. He should have offered to be the base of a toob pyramid. Nuttin wrong with that either :toast:

propstruk
07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I have been lurking on this board for a few weeks but I have to get in on the tube stories.

I grew up riding tubes. We were riding tubes before they had handles and bottoms, about 20 years ago. A friend of mine's father was a logger and he kept a skidder tire inner tube at his lake house. (For those of you that don't know what this looks like, think about riding a small floating trampoline with no mat at about 35 mph.) It was a blast.

About ten years ago, we used to tube when the water was too rough but we tubed with no less than 5 tubes (and as many as 7 sometimes) behind the boat at a time. It used to turn into a free for all brawl. Man that was fun.