PDA

View Full Version : Advice for buying a farm/acerage.

thijs
05-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi all,

Well almost done paramedic school and i am now looking at buying. Homes in Calgary are very expensive and I do not plan to work in the city anyways.

I am looking at a farm (small) at 127 acres and only 6miles from my favorite lake. It is the same price as entry houses in calgary.

The property includes:
-127acres pasture
-water Co-op
-1900 ft2 house (circa-1916 renovated in 1970 in good looking shape)
-4 bedrooms, one bath, dining room, kitchen, living room, enclosed veranda)
-older looking garage
-hip roof barn
-corrals

The house has natural gas heat and water-heater. Water is $120 a year for unlimited supply. Fridge, stove, washer dryer included.

What concerns would you have? I am going to stipulate on home passing inspection. I am not too interested in all that land- may offer to buy poriton of land with home and buildings or sell/lease it off.

Any questions I should ask the realtor or seller?
Anyone want to store their MC at my place?

(Cheaper rates for TT members!)

http://www.landmanmurray.com/Champion/Alberta/Farms_and_Acreages/AcreageAgribusiness-Rural_Vulcan_County/Champion/Agent/Listing_1215171.html

BTW if any of you buy this place from under-me consider it war!

Knox's_Better_half
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Volfans wife is a realtor, maybe she could give you some pointers on questions and or concerns for your home purchase. Sounds great, but the hubby and I prefer the warmer air temps and water tempst of the Southeast!! Good luck to you!

Andyg
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
With a large piece of land you may want to ask the seller to have a survey of the land done to verify what the legal description of the land matches what you think the land is. I assume you are on a septic system. Get that checked out by a profesional. The last thing you want to do is move in and have to replace a $15000 septic system.

My parents bought 40 acres and had a survey done as part of the sale process and found out they really only bought 35 acres because of squatter rights, aka adverse possession.

BrianM
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Get a good buyers agent. They do this for a living and can save you from making a possibly very costly mistake.

thijs
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
With a large piece of land you may want to ask the seller to have a survey of the landThat is a good idea. My buddies farm had a fence line along .5 mi that was about 30 feet off-- that adds up.

The last thing you want to do is move in and have to replace a $15000 septic systemAlso something that I was considering. The place has a septic tank-- I wonder what honeywagon costs are and how often. I'll have to ask the age and size of the tank.

stuartmcnair
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
do you have any friends that are architects or engineers? I would get them to look at the cost / ability to add more bathrooms. One bathroom will turn out to be a huge pain...

thijs
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
do you have any friends that are architects or engineers? I would get them to look at the cost / ability to add more bathrooms. One bathroom will turn out to be a huge pain...

It should be simple enough to add a bathroom to the upstairs. Just take the bedroom that is either abouve the kichen or the bathroom on the main floor and add to the grey water stack and fixh up plastic water lines. I could make a small office and washroom out of a 13x13 room. I could even scavenge a little from the adjoining room.

While I am at it I could up date the insulation as I am sure this house is a little before the high R values of today..... ;)

stuartmcnair
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
unfortunately, you might also have to upgrade the septic...some older homes with 1 bath might not have a large enough system to handle more baths...where I live the health department mandates a certain size based on the number of bathrooms that the house will have

uawaterskier
05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm jealous...one day I will have a nice farm and cows...I love me some cows

thijs
05-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I want this cow.......

(Highland cattle)

bbymgr
05-06-2008, 07:27 AM
My best friend owns his own Pest Control Company and he told me that older "timber" homes have a tendency to have carpenter ants or termites. Make sure to get a thorough inspection.

thijs
05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
My best friend owns his own Pest Control Company and he told me that older "timber" homes have a tendency to have carpenter ants or termites. Make sure to get a thorough inspection.

Not a big problem with bugs up here (except them damn mosquitos!)