PDA

View Full Version : Is my shower working right?

treptowr
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
I have an 02 X-star that came with a shower. The shower doesn't work if you turn on the hot water only. If you turn on the cold water, it works fine and then you can add in the hot and it warms up, but never gets really warm. If you turn the cold off, all water goes off. All of this is done with the boat running too. Any thoughts?

atlfootr
05-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you need to call a plumber :D

ShamrockIV
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
i am not a plumber but if you got the hot water on and no water is coming out sounds like you got a prob!!!

Jerseydave
05-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Most hot water connections are at the block drain, just above the oil pan. You might have sand/sediment/rust clogging the fitting or hose. Remove both ends of the hot hose and blow through it with compressed air, make sure it's free-flowing.

Make sure your block is not clogged at that fitting also.

atlfootr
05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
i am not a plumber but if you got the hot water on and no water is coming out sounds like you got a prob!!!He's not a bad analyst for a hillbilly :D
Way to analyze the problem there, Shamrock.

dsoby
05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
When this happens to me it is caused from rust/sand cloging a screen in the mixer box in the hot side. You can either take the box apart and clean or back wash it by disconnecting the hat water tube and running water through the mixed port.

WTRSK1R
05-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I would second the comment about the screen in the mixer. Start there.

treptowr
05-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm at work now, not looking at the boat. Is the mixer box located right behind the hot and cold valves at the transom? Accessed from inside the engine compartment?

dsoby
05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't know where your mixer is located but the box is the unit that the hot and cold valves are on. You will have to remove the box. You will see the screen on the intake port of the hot side. It may be clogged with rust from the block or debris sucked up by the raw water pump. I got tired of doing this every year so what I do now is hook a garden hose up to the mixed output side of the box and backwash the screen.

treptowr
05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
OK, have been trying to trouble shoot this now that I'm home. I did take the mixer apart and cleaned it well. There was some debris in the screen that may have been partially blocking, but not completely. I also took the end of the hot water hose that taps into the engine block and water came pouring out of there, no blockage. checked the shurflow filter at the pump and it was clear too. Put on the fake a lake and ran it. Same thing. Cold works. Turn the hot on and nothing. If I turn the cold on a little then add in the hot (after boat is up to temp) I get luke warm water. Gradually shut the cold off and leave hot on, and water goes off. So I left the boat and pump running, took the hose off at the mixer that runs back to the pump, then turned on the cold and had water coming out of that opening. Turn the cold off, turn the hot on and no water came out. So the hot water isn't even getting to the mixer? The pump seems to be working. I do notice that the cold line is tapped into right after the water pump where maybe theres more pressure and definately a shorter run to the mixer. Where the hot is tapped in to the block, it's a much further run to the mixer, maybe not as much line pressure? Couple questions. Is the pump suppose to have enough suction to pull the water to it, or is this not really a self priming type of pump? Maybe the cold water has a more pressure to the line because of where it is tapped in, that's why it works? Could the pump be "partially" working? I would think it would either work, or not work. I checked the pressure by placing my hand over the end of the hose back at the mixer and it seemed to have good suction? Would running the cold help prime or create a siphon effect for the hot, explaining why the hot is working when the cold is on, but not when the cold is off? Help, as you can tell I'm confused.

Jerseydave
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM
If I understand you correctly, if you turn off the cold knob and turn on the hot know, no water comes out, right? That would mean to me that somewhere between the engine block and the outlet hose of your pump you must have a blockage. Did you remove the hot water hose from the engine and mixing valve and blow thru it? How about blowing thru the mixing valve itself while the hot know is turned to open? It could be that your mixing valve is not opening enough (or at all) on the hot side.

You need to isolate each part, blow thru each one seperately until you find the reason hot water never gets to your shower head.

dsoby
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
The pump IS self priming.
I agree with NJ, you must have blockage in your hot line between the engine and mixer. Try blowing air through the hose. Also, blow through the mixer with the cold closed and hot open.

dsoby
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Also, you can check the lines without running the engine by simply disconntecing the hoses at their sources and placing them in a container of water. The pump will suck fluid from the container as long as the other temp valve is completely off. I do this with antifreeze to winterize.

treptowr
05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
dsoby, thanks for that last tip about testing it without the engine running. That will make things easier, now that it is raining here and I've pulled it back into the garge. I've thoughly cleaned the mixer by doing what you and njskier have said above. The only thing I haven't done, is blow through the line. I'll do that and then clean the mixer screen again. I will go do that now and let you know how I make out!

treptowr
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I did everything mentioned in my last problem and had the same problems. Using a bucket of water was a great trip that worked well. Then as I was sitting there, I had one of those Homer Simpson "Doh!" moments! Keep in mind, this is the first time I ever owned a boat with a shower, and the first time I really tried trouble shooting this problem. I just didn't really use the shower last year, my first year with this boat. When taking apart and putting things back together the exact same way, it finally hit me on the side of the head!!! It's so simple. Why was it only working when the cold water was on all or part of the way.....take a guess, and think simple. I'll chalk this up as a learning experience.

dsoby
05-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Okay, what was the problem?

treptowr
05-06-2008, 11:32 PM
The previous owner had the cold water intake line attached to the center outlet on the mixer, the hot was attached to the hot, and the mixed line that went back to the pump was attached to the cold. That's why it only worked when the cold was on at least part of the way. It finally dawned on me when I took the hot line at the mixer and was going to connect it to the cold to test it. I was like, wait? Why is the cold coming off the center outlet and not the over here to the left? duh? I feel like an idiot.

dsoby
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Man, don't feel like an idiot! Congratulations on finding the problem. Much better than taking it in to someone else to find. Look at it this way... you are now an expert on shower matters. Enjoy your shower. It comes in very handy on cold days or with a wet suit when the water is nippy.

h20winn
05-07-2008, 12:00 AM
My hot water shower can only be used when the motor is running or the cold water will not pump. Is that the same with all shower units? You have to have the engine running for the cold water to pump and mix with the hot water left in the engine block most of the time, when the engine is not running it is just oo too hot.

dsoby
05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
That is true. The way that it is plumbed, you can get a little hot water with the engine off- enough to fill a wet suit. For continuous hot water, you need to have your engine running. You can get unlimited cold water with the engine off. If you haven't noticed yet, it takes about 10 seconds to feel any temp adjustment. For warm water, open the hot side all the way and then play with the cold valve in small increments until you get the temp that you want. Then, I suggest that you take a marker and mark where the cold setting should be for the desired applicaton.

treptowr
05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
dsoby, you are right. I do feel like I know my shower system more intimately now after disassmbling it all. (I even took the shower pump apart to make sure it was working) It definately needed a good cleaning (screen at hot water mixer) anyway.