PDA

View Full Version : Keel Roller 1994 Prostar 190

mgcbcn
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Had some damage to the keel this weekend from a worn out keel roller. I am replacing the roller today. I just wanted to ask a quick question - should the boat be touching this roller when it is on the trailer or should all of the weight be on the bunk boards? I would assume if I built up the bunk boards a little taller, I could keep the weight off of the keel roller.

Thanks for any insight!

hester
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
For what it's worth I've got a 1991 Prostar 190 and my keel does not touch the roller when fully loaded on the trailer. There is about one half inch between.

east tx skier
05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
If you still have it and it's not bent, save the axle from your old roller. The replacement axle that came with the new roller when I replaced mine was not long enough.

kjohnson
05-09-2008, 10:02 AM
My 91 does not sit on the roller either. I would think that that is too much weight to be distributed to one small area like that. Might crack your gelcoat.

sp00ky
10-05-2011, 06:33 PM
My 91 does not sit on the roller either. I would think that that is too much weight to be distributed to one small area like that. Might crack your gelcoat.

ok, my boat (94 205) does rest on the keel roller. What does this mean is wrong with the trailer? bunks?

I bought a replacement polyurethane roller but seeing this post concerns me. The existing roller is cracked down the middle

JMann
10-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I would like to see a picture of the roller and how it rests on the trailer. Might help figure out why it's hitting and if it should be or not.

mayo93prostar
10-06-2011, 06:55 AM
My 93 rests on the roller but much of the weight is on the v-block in front and the bunks. I replaced my old black roller with the yellowish/clear roller a couple years ago.

etduc
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
ok, my boat (94 205) does rest on the keel roller. What does this mean is wrong with the trailer? bunks?

I bought a replacement polyurethane roller but seeing this post concerns me. The existing roller is cracked down the middle

Ditto. Mine rest on roller, it also is crack down the middle.

aarosurf
10-06-2011, 10:24 AM
My 93 doesn't rest on the roller but it definitely hits it pretty hard when I'm loading up onto the trailer. The PO hadn't noticed this and the roller was damaged badly.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't understand why MC designed a roller on a bunk trailer in the first place. Is it there to keep from hitting crossmembers? I have a VM trailer with my '77 with no rollers and loading is easy as can be.

Please note: white wall p metric tires and bunk carpet have been replaced.

sp00ky
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I would like to see a picture of the roller and how it rests on the trailer. Might help figure out why it's hitting and if it should be or not.

ok take take a look and see what you think. I appreciate the help!:D

Miss Rita
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the bow roller is to prevent the keel from hitting the trailer crossmember while loading, i.e. on steep ramps, etc. I don't believe it's meant to support any significant weight once the boat is on the trailer. If it was mine I'd install a new roller as low as possible by drilling new holes in the support bracket, then cut off the excess metal.

My '89 has a roller in the same location. It doesn't look like the keel has ever touched it.

aarosurf
10-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I think the bow roller is to prevent the keel from hitting the trailer crossmember while loading, i.e. on steep ramps, etc. I don't believe it's meant to support any significant weight once the boat is on the trailer. If it was mine I'd drill new holes in the roller support bracket, cut off the excess metal, and install a new roller.

My '89 has a roller in the same location. I don't think the keel has ever touched it.

STEEP RAMPS is exactly when my prostar would hit the roller when loading - definitely worth keeping it on there.

sp00ky
10-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the bow roller is to prevent the keel from hitting the trailer crossmember while loading, i.e. on steep ramps, etc. I don't believe it's meant to support any significant weight once the boat is on the trailer. If it was mine I'd install a new roller as low as possible by drilling new holes in the support bracket, then cut off the excess metal.

My '89 has a roller in the same location. It doesn't look like the keel has ever touched it.

interesting suggestion. however, its the original trailer and I'm not sure how much weight is actually on it. I am going to install a new polyurethane roller.

It seems like the roller would help the bow fit into the boat buddy. but IDK

thatsmrmastercraft
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
interesting suggestion. however, its the original trailer and I'm not sure how much weight is actually on it. I am going to install a new polyurethane roller.

It seems like the roller would help the bow fit into the boat buddy. but IDK

As a centering roller it would make sense.

sp00ky
10-06-2011, 08:29 PM

This seems a little extreme, wouldn't the wood bunks compress and/or settle. So replacing them might be more advantageous?

mikeg205
10-07-2011, 05:47 PM
my 95...205 sits on the roller...only damage is rubber scuffing keel...I spray 303 on the roller now and no more marks....

thatsmrmastercraft
10-07-2011, 09:46 PM
my 95...205 sits on the roller...only damage is rubber scuffing keel...I spray 303 on the roller now and no more marks....

Good old 303. :toast:

Kevin 89MC
10-10-2011, 05:35 PM
My '89 does not have a roller, and I have thought about adding one. It does have a "skid plate" on the cross member that the '91+ has the keel roller on. Even after I replaced the skid plate, then carpeted it, it scrapes my hull. I agree that the keel should not be resting on the roller, but it is essential on steep ramps.
Kevin

Kyle
10-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I have a '93 190 and my buddy has a 205. I'll be in both boats tomorrow and take pics of this roller.

dfmaus
10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
2000 prostar 205, sits about 1/2 inch above the roller, if that helps.

sp00ky
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
2000 prostar 205, sits about 1/2 inch above the roller, if that helps.

Then its the bunks right?_

bailey78
10-11-2011, 08:40 PM
1997 prostar 190, my boat does not rest on the roller but does leave a mark on my keel, comes off easily though.

Kyle
10-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Ok was working on my '93 190 and hauled my buddies '93 205 today. Both boats rested evenly on the roller and the carpeted front V.

Hope this helps.

east tx skier
10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I replaced my v-bunks on my old trailer. When I did so, I went from that sure-to-crumble composite material that was stock to a thicker 3/4" ply wood. Helped get the boat off the roller when loaded.

AZDave
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I raised the bunks 1 inch on my 93. Roller had damaged gelcoat, no doubt. Roller is overkill for a tournament boat. I now have an aftermarket trailer with no roller and no V guide. Loads fine. Most of the weight on these boats is from the pylon back. I always thought the roller and the v guide were useless other than making loading easier for a novice. If you load your boat on a windy busy lake, they help. On a private lake....useless.

sp00ky
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I replaced my v-bunks on my old trailer. When I did so, I went from that sure-to-crumble composite material that was stock to a thicker 3/4" ply wood. Helped get the boat off the roller when loaded.

EastTX I want to do the same do you have any details on the wood you used? Pressure treated? It doesn't need to be the same quality as the main bunks I suspect.

Thanks for your help.

east tx skier
03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I used 3/4" ply wood cut to the measurements of the old v-block. I don't recall there being anything special about it. I drilled it for the carriage bolts, put them in the holes, wrapped it in carpet, and bolted it to the trailer. Not much to it so far as I can recall.

sp00ky
03-02-2012, 02:04 AM
I used 3/4" ply wood cut to the measurements of the old v-block. I don't recall there being anything special about it. I drilled it for the carriage bolts, put them in the holes, wrapped it in carpet, and bolted it to the trailer. Not much to it so far as I can recall.

Good deal thanks

sp00ky
04-05-2012, 05:23 PM

I finally was able to replace the v-bunks to 3/4 inch wood and it still did not get the boat off of the keel roller. Should I go about replacing the main bunks now?

Thanks

east tx skier
04-05-2012, 07:01 PM
The bunks will sink a little, but not a ton. Is the keel roller hurting the boat? If not, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's marking it up, I'd replace with a yellow one.

AZDave
04-05-2012, 07:50 PM
I also tried a thicker V guide material than factory. It did not work. I finally ground the mounting brackets down about 3/4" and used a smaller diameter roller. The stock roller was never needed on any ramp I have used. It just wore the keel.