PDA

View Full Version : HeaterCraft heater working...sometimes

bobbyB
05-05-2008, 01:05 PM
One the lake I turn the heater on....nothing. Back at home I'm in the boat and try it again....yep, now it's working just fine?????

Next time out to the lake the first 1/2 hour it works fine and then...nothing again for the rest of the day. Now momma getting mad, and if she's not happy...well you know about that.

Tried it again back in the garage. Back to normal:confused:

I've tried to check for loose wiring, but didn't find anything. Any of you guys have any ideas on where to start chasing this thing??

B

JLeuck64
05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Next time your out on the lake take a small hammer with you. If the heater stops working tap the motor lightly with the hammer. If it starts working the brushes in the motor are wearing out. When the motor brushes are close to wearing out they make intermittant contact. Bumping the motor with the hammer will give you a quick test if the brushes are close to being worn out or not. If no change then you should start looking at the power source coming into the motor from the switch, and the ground connection/wiring leading away from the motor. Of course to look at both of those would require the motor to not be working. Probably the easiest way to check the circuitry when the motor is not working is with a test light. Turn the circuit on. With the test light grounded, probe the positive terminal in the motor connector. The test light should light up if the positive circuit is working correctly. If it doesn't back track toward the switch to find the source of the problem, Open or resistance. To test the ground side you need to reverse the test lead. This time hook it to the positive terminal. Now when you touch a good ground, Like the ground terminal in the motor connector it should light up bright if the circuit is functioning correctly. If not, search for the open and/or the resistance problem in the ground.
Hope this helps...

bobbyB
05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Next time your out on the lake take a small hammer with you. If the heater stops working tap the motor lightly with the hammer. If it starts working the brushes in the motor are wearing out. When the motor brushes are close to wearing out they make intermittant contact. Bumping the motor with the hammer will give you a quick test if the brushes are close to being worn out or not. If no change then you should start looking at the power source coming into the motor from the switch, and the ground connection/wiring leading away from the motor. Of course to look at both of those would require the motor to not be working. Probably the easiest way to check the circuitry when the motor is not working is with a test light. Turn the circuit on. With the test light grounded, probe the positive terminal in the motor connector. The test light should light up if the positive circuit is working correctly. If it doesn't back track toward the switch to find the source of the problem, Open or resistance. To test the ground side you need to reverse the test lead. This time hook it to the positive terminal. Now when you touch a good ground, Like the ground terminal in the motor connector it should light up bright if the circuit is functioning correctly. If not, search for the open and/or the resistance problem in the ground.
Hope this helps...

Very logical plan of attack...thanks for starting me out.

jimmer2880
05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah... what Leuck said.

The switch went out on mine. I just wired up the "high" wire to one of my panel switches (acc1), since high is all we ever used anyway.

It is fun to watch people try to turn the heater on using the original Heatercraft switch though (I left it there because I didn't want to deal with filling in the holes)