PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Today '85 190

jmcentire
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I am taking out a '85 190 for a test today. Does anyone know if this boat has composite or wood stringers? If wood what is the best way to test for rotten wood on these? It looks like it has been covered it's entire life so I am not too worried about it.

Also it has been in salt water but it has factory closed loop cooling, and the manifolds have been replaced recently. Any areas to check for that the salt water would effect?

Any other things to look for in your opinion?

Thanks,

Jake

ShamrockIV
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
floor should def be glass they went away from wood stringers in 83!!!

good luck!! factory closed loop cooling on a 85??? news to me

Rick_Seebeck
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Check to see if the floor is soft. While it is made of fiberglass, they are somewhat prone to having water infiltrate the foam between the fiberglass stringers. Cutting the floor out to replace the foam is a drag! Speaking from experience! It can be done but should affect the price you offer.

barefoot
05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
In mid-83, they went away from wood stringers. Totally composite in '85. No worries there. Take a look at the FAQ's...they have a used boat buying guide that'll be useful. Also, get a pre-purchase inspection done by your local MC dealer. I'm all about this...It'll be money well spent.

Jim@BAWS
05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I am taking out a '85 190 for a test today. Does anyone know if this boat has composite or wood stringers? If wood what is the best way to test for rotten wood on these? It looks like it has been covered it's entire life so I am not too worried about it.

Also it has been in salt water but it has factory closed loop cooling, and the manifolds have been replaced recently. Any areas to check for that the salt water would effect?

Any other things to look for in your opinion?

Thanks,

Jake

Salt water where in Utah...the great salt lake ???

Jim@BAWS