View Full Version : CDL with no test vehicle

05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm looking into getting my CDL just to have. In the line of work I'm seeking, it's always a resume boost. My state says no training is required other than reading the manual, and passing the test. I do not want to pay for a truck driving school with the possibility of never using it. I'm running into a few snags.

It says it's unlawful to operate a commercial vehicle without a valid CDL license.
A.) How am I to practice (legally)? Big rigs can't be cake to drive.
B.) How am I to get said vehicle to said test, other than have a valid CDL holder to drive me there? My chopper's in the shop lol

It shows that I have to provide the vehicle for the testing. I know many times, the employer will provide one, but I'm not currently employed by anyone with that type of vehicle. Has anyone ever had any experience with this situation?

I'm figuring an option is to ask around and find someone willing to lend me a truck. Which is scary, because I wouldn't want to wreck another man's truck, and it would jeopardize his business and insurance for me to wreck or be ticketed in his truck...know what I mean Vern?

AR Footer
05-05-2008, 07:10 AM
I do not know about in your area but around here there were at one time some enterprising individuals who were renting out tractor/trailer rigs for practicing and test taking. The local community college that has a truck driver training school has also been good to work out ways to let people like yourself be able to take the driving test.

You are correct in that you will need to practice. Practice can take place in big, empty parking lots until you get comfortable. When it is time to get out on the road you will need to have taken the written tests and received your permit. This will allow you to drive with a licensed driver/trainer and get your actual on road driving experience.

The places around here that rent the tractor/trailer rigs will usually make sure that they are at the testing location on the day of the test. Otherwise, you will have to find a licensed driver to take the tractor/trailer to the test site.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
It's like a car license. You go take a test, and get your temps. Then you can drive w/a licensed driver in the passenger seat.

As for the test, I think some facilities have a truck you can rent/use for the test. Another option would be to rent/lease a truck yourself for the test. Maybe tack on a week to practice.

If you are doing tractor/trailer, you will definitely want to practice manueverability... No matter how many times you've backed the boat. A 50+' foot trailer reacts a lot differently.

05-05-2008, 10:19 AM
practice makes perfect... i worked for a company who just had a yard truck from moving trailers in and out of the loading dock holes and man... i can back a bumper pull or gooseneck trailer anywhere you wish but this is a whole new game... good luck and i'd ask around at community colleges who offer training they're most likely to work something out vs a business or individual

05-05-2008, 10:34 AM
As far as practice, you take the written, and get a permit to drive a rig. Just like when you were 15, you have to have a person in the truck with you that has a CDL.

For the test, you will have to have a person with a CDL to get there, and a truck. That kind of truck will vary depending on what endorsements you want to get. (such as if you want air brake endorsement, the truck you bring must have air brakes). To make it easy, you get take the test in a smaller truck then a full on 18 wheeler. It's been quit a while since I've looked into CDL'S, but I'm pretty sure you can take the test in any truck or truck trailer combo with a combine GVW of 26,000, and have air brakes if you want to be able to drive a truck with air brakes.

It really is easier to drive one than it sounds. Yes the trailer will act different when turning and backing, but to me it is easier to back, long as you are use to backing with mirrors. Unless the truck has a back window, and you're pulling flat bed, looking back will do you no good.

Also, I recommend getting every endorsement you can when you go. Otherwise, again I'm pretty sure this is right, if you change your mind, you have to take ALL the test over again.

05-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Oops, double post

05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys. Here in OK, you read the book, pass the written and driven, go to the tag agent and get the license. Best I can tell, unless it's just evading me, there is no learner's permit... That's be handy, really. At least then I could maybe talk someone into riding with me. Hopefully I can get on with a company that will send me to training, whether I need it or not. Thanks again.

05-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm looking into getting my CDL just to have.

You might want to re-think getting a cdl, 'just to have'.
I don't know about OK, but around here, if you get caught doing something stupid in a car, and the cop (or judge) sees that you have a cdl.....you will most likely be held to a higher 'standard' than joe driver......and nearly everyone has those 'stupid moments' while driving.

05-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Legal alcohol limit with a CDL license is only .04 (so basically forget about even having one beer)

05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
It may be different around your area but the local community college does CDL testing. Your best bet may be to call around and see who does CDL testing.