PDA

View Full Version : won't start - not getting fuel

Rich_G
05-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Took the boat out of hibernation yesterday, it was running great when I winterized it, and I've had it in the garage since. Put in a new battery cause the old one was on its way out last season.

Here's the situation:

put the boat in the water and it started immediately; its a 99 with the 310 TBI; we let the smoke burn off from the fogging oil in the engine; let it warm up for a minute then my son backed it off the trailer (I was driving the truck)

About 30 seconds later the engine died and will not start again. It seems like its getting no fuel. Today, still won't start. I sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body and it will fire up for a second or two; so it seems like it has ignition.

I think when it started on the trailer it was just running off the fuel in the fuel line; all the gas was treated with stabilizer from last winter.

Kill switch was in place.
I checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it was good.

What else do I need to check before I have to give up and take it to a mechanic?

Also, could my winterization process have caused this? I fogged the engine with the aerosol fogging oil, sprayed in thru the throttle body opening (I've done this before with no problems)

dsoby
05-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key to the ON position? It doesn't sound to me that your winterization is causing the problem.

Willski
05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree that it sounds like you are not getting fuel. Only thing I can think of that would be easy to try, is to unhook the inlet to your TBI and see if the pump is actually moving fuel.

There are a lot of people on here that are better than me at diagnosing and fixing this stuff, so hold tight and someone will be here shortly.

mpwonka
05-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I just went through the same thing to the T- word for word, Change your fuel filter and if you are fuel injected bleed the air from the fuel line

Rich_G
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I just went through the same thing to the T- word for word, Change your fuel filter and if you are fuel injected bleed the air from the fuel line

Where is the fuel filter?

My engine is Throttle Body Injected (TBI); it's not a carb. How do you bleed the air out of the fuel line?

thanks

Oh, and to answer Dsoby's question; YES, when I turn the key to the On position, I hear the little buzz / clicking noise.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-05-2008, 10:53 AM
at these fuel prices, that might not be a bad thing.

dsoby
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Not sure what you mean by buzz and clicking noise. When you turn your key to the first position to the right (ON position) you should hear an electrical pump noise comming from the back of the boat where your fuel tank is. This is the fuel pump running. A bad pump could be your problem. Not positive about your year boat, but your fliter is probably in the tank. Not a hard DIY if you are so inclined but be careful because of the fumes.

loeweb
05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Not to be a smarta$$ but is it out of gear? I've done that a time or two. Boat was drifting towards shore, and started it up put it in gear, it died like the cold blooded B that she is, and when I went to start it again, nothing. After I got in the water and started to swim it away from shore, my wife (not at all mechanically inclined) said, "does it have to be out of gear?" Turns out she was right, and I was the dumba$$!

Rich_G
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
the buzz / clicking noise comes from behind the dash. I will pull the floor panel and listen while someone turns the key to ON

boat is a 99 MC 205V - the red fuel line comes off the tank and goes to the TBI - can't see any in-line fuel filter; fuel pump and fuel filter must be in the tank

boat was not in gear - I did try pulling out the silver shifter knob and giving it some gas w/out having it in gear - that didn't make any difference. Since it is fuel injected I usually never give it any gas to get it started. Also, the engine never "just dies" once it is started, but it did this time

Chicago190
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
You don't need to pull the floor to hear the fuel pump. Just open the engine cover and switch the key to the on position. The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds as it primes the fuel system. The sound is very distinct and you'll know it as soon as you hear it. Did the boat run low on fuel last year anytime? The fuel pumps have a tendency to burn out if they are run with low fuel because the fuel is used to cool the pump.

Rich_G
05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I have a teenager, so yes, he ran it out of gas once last summer.

Is replacing a fuel pump something a DIY non-mechanic can do? If its super involved I would rather leave it to a pro.

Would Skidim have this part?

SPLIFF
05-05-2008, 03:32 PM
skidim should have the part, but shop around also try bennetts ski school zachary louisiana. i have had good luck with them so far i just got a pump from them for a 1995 205 prostar it was 350.00 total it took 4 days to get to me. and i put it in easy and i am not even close to being a mechanic. it just had 3 bolts one at the top and two on the bottom each bolt attaches to the gas lines and a electrical plug that snaped on. take a picture of it before you take it off just to make sure every thing goes back right good luck.

Rich_G
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
SPLIFF, is this the part you installed?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080023

When you take the metal plate off to get inside the tank, do you need to replace a gasket?

Chicago190
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Someone with your engine can give you the exact details, but the easiest way to check if its the fuel pump is to buy a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up. When you turn the key to on, if the fuel pressure gauge doesn't register anything then you know the system isn't getting fuel. Do a search for fuel pump or fuel pressure and see what comes up. Easier to test this than to drop $350 on a fuel pump if it isn't the problem.

Diesel
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Could be a bunch of things. You really need to narrow it down before you spend the money on the pump. If you can get it started again on the starter fluid try to give it a bit of throttle to see if she will run. Could be a stuck IAC motor in the throttle body.

uawaterskier
05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
well from what you told us this is what I concluded:

The boat ran when you got it out of storage, so bad gas is out of the question

You can it it to hit/fire on starter fluid, so your getting good spark/ignition.

Sounds like your not getting fuel either the filter is clogged or the pump went bad.

JoshBuzz
05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Rich, your first problem was letting Davis back the boat off the trailer!!

:D

Rich_G
05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Guys, thanks for all the help. I agree, I would like to narrow it down before buying the pump.

Could someone tell me where to check for a clogged fuel filter? Be specific..., I don't know where the filter is..., is it in the tank? I will probably have to remove the rear seat to get to the tank lid. Do I need to replace a gasket or seal if I take the tank access lid off?

Also, if I need to get the fuel pump..., does anyone have the MC Part # for the fuel pump that goes with this boat (I don't have a manual)? I don't want to assume the part at SkiDim is the right part.

uawaterskier
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
well I know there is a screen around the pump, make sure its clear. As far as the filter, cant really help you there. I haven't had to change a pump on the team boat...yet. Give me some time, theyll run it out of gas and call me whining to go fix it.

SPLIFF
05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
SPLIFF, is this the part you installed?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA080023

When you take the metal plate off to get inside the tank, do you need to replace a gasket?
My part number was 1556014 for 1995 pro star , but that is exactly what mine looks like. try to call around to see if you can get it rebuilt that is what i am going to do with my old one for a spare also my old pump i took off and soaked it in good gas for 12 hours and it sounded a lot better and pumped a litttle ,but it did not fix it but it was not used in four years. the gasket i am not sure of ,but you can buy gasket material from a lawn mower shop and cut your own.

SPLIFF
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Guys, thanks for all the help. I agree, I would like to narrow it down before buying the pump.

Could someone tell me where to check for a clogged fuel filter? Be specific..., I don't know where the filter is..., is it in the tank? I will probably have to remove the rear seat to get to the tank lid. Do I need to replace a gasket or seal if I take the tank access lid off?

Also, if I need to get the fuel pump..., does anyone have the MC Part # for the fuel pump that goes with this boat (I don't have a manual)? I don't want to assume the part at SkiDim is the right part.
my inline fuel filter on mine is right above the fuel pump located on the back passenger side of engine. , it just screws on the gas line it is about 4 inches long and 2 inches across cylinder shaped i just went to walmart looked up the filter for a 95 350 chevy and replaced it for about 10 dollars. i am not sure about the 2nd fuel filter or where it is i am new to this to.

treptowr
05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I thought the fuel pump was in the gas tank?

Rich_G
05-08-2008, 04:35 PM
turns out my gas guage is busted. I "knew" it had gas when I winterized it and was reading 3/4 of a tank, but I had not topped it off since I was keeping it in the garage all winter (wasn't too worried about condensation).

Anyway, I could tell that the pump was priming when the key was ON, and I bled the air out of the fuel line several times. I think the tank was almost empty when I put the boat up in December, and it seemed like there was a vapor lock in the line. Poured a tiny amount of gas in the Throttle Body opening, added 5 gallons, and it started on the 2nd try. Runs great now.

I feel pretty stupid, but not as bad as I would have if I had been installing my new fuel pump and opened up an empty tank.

Thanks for all the input. All the little tidbits helped. Anybody know how I can fix my gas gauge?