PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Repair

Grover777
05-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi All:

After coming home from the lake today, I noticed a gouge in the gelcoat. It was not there when I was wiping it down at the ramp, so i am guessing something flew up from the road and hit it. It is about 1.5 inches long and about .25 inches wide. It tore thru all of the gelcoat and has the glass exposed. It is on one of the rails under the bow, so it is underwater.

How hard is it to repair this myself? Can I go over the glass with gelcoat, or do I need resin, etc.
I know color matching may be a bit difficult. It is a 2001 209 with a white hull.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

It is the only imperfection in the hull, I felt like I was going to puke when I saw it.

Thanks!

dsoby
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Look at the thread "Would you attempt this gel repair?" It has info that you may find helpful.

Grover777
05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Do you think I will need to add resin/epoxy to the glass or can I just apply the gelcoat patch over the wound?

Skipper
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I would first grind from the center of the damaged area, outward until achieving about a 45 degree bevel. Then, tape over the gelcote leaving only the glass exposed. Brush on some epoxy resin. Use a heat gun to help the resin penetrate the tiny cracks and begin to cure. Before applying new gelcote you must first clean with soap and water. Then tape off around the edge of the repair. Apply gelcote without wax in several layers, allowing time for it to begin to cure between coats. For the final application add wax. Once cured spray a very light coat of flat black paint on the repair. Wet sand until the black is gone. Use something like 3M finesse-it polishing compound with a high speed buffer to blend the repair. You are back in action.

chudson
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi All:

After coming home from the lake today, I noticed a gouge in the gelcoat. It was not there when I was wiping it down at the ramp, so i am guessing something flew up from the road and hit it. It is about 1.5 inches long and about .25 inches wide. It tore thru all of the gelcoat and has the glass exposed. It is on one of the rails under the bow, so it is underwater.

How hard is it to repair this myself? Can I go over the glass with gelcoat, or do I need resin, etc.
I know color matching may be a bit difficult. It is a 2001 209 with a white hull.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

It is the only imperfection in the hull, I felt like I was going to puke when I saw it.

Thanks!

Hi neighbor, been doing field work when possible so I missed your thread. There is a guy near Broadlands (15 miles southeast of me) that used to do gel coat repair for Miss Budwieser and still does repair, I don't remember his name off hand but I'll find it when I get home and PM you if that is a direction you'd like to go? The way the weather is going I'm doing field work when possible and I'm on and off the computer so I hope you not in a rush for the info!!!

johny_Utah
05-16-2008, 03:40 PM
It is a walk in the park. Your hull is probably Glacier White. They sell a paste that goes on like vasoline. I had a huge scratch and some dings and took on the project. Can't tell where the scatch is now. If the rest of the hull is faded just wet sand and it will bring back the original color. It does reqiure a ton of elbow grease but well worth it.

Grover777
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I got the Spectrum Color Kit. I may wait until later in the season to fix it, just in case a few more appear!

randyb
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
This thread was just what I was looking for! Is there an easy way to find out what shade of white your hull is? Also, any recommendations for ordering the gel paste stuff online? I've got a '97 Prostar 205

Thanks

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-19-2008, 08:24 PM
This thread was just what I was looking for! Is there an easy way to find out what shade of white your hull is? Also, any recommendations for ordering the gel paste stuff online? I've got a '97 Prostar 205

Thanks
Here's the place to contact. As mentioned earlier, very good matches for OEM colors. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/

randyb
05-26-2008, 03:28 AM
I ordered the Glacier White gel coat patch stuff from spectrum color but it is a much brighter white than my boat. I have a '97 PS 205 that is white/black and teal. Does anyone know what flavor of white I have or how to find out?

Thanks

johny_Utah
05-26-2008, 06:02 PM
That is why I had to wet sand my whole boat. It was a pain in the A but like I said well worth it. If there is other minor scatches in your hull you can sand those out as well. I wish they sold the paste in burgundy so I can do the rest of the boat. I am not sure I want to take on spraying gelcoat yet.

randyb
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't think I need to sand the whole boat, I'm just trying to figure out what shade of white I have because it sure isn't the color that spectrum sent me.

mrprostar
06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
What is the process for sanding? What grit do you start at and what do you finish at? I just ordered the spectrum kit.

WTRSK1R
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't think I need to sand the whole boat, I'm just trying to figure out what shade of white I have because it sure isn't the color that spectrum sent me.

I would call Jim at BAWS , Mike at MCOC, or Erik at Chicago MC with the hull number. They should be able to tell you the color combination based on the Hull ID I think.

JohnE
06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Maybe there is a name of that white in a 97 brochure if anyone has one. I don't....

randyb
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I'd called my MC dealer that said that they called MC and got the color, and that it was Glacier White. I called MC myself and they said that it wasn't listed exactly what I had with my hull ID but that Oyster was the only other option. I ordered the Oyster and it was way too dark. The Glacier White was way too white so I made a mix of the two that came pretty darn close and I'm calling it good.

For the person that was asking how to sand the repair this is what I did.

Clean the area of repair with acetone.
Rough up the hole and a little bit around it with 220
Once the gel repairs sets, first wet sand it with 220 to get it close to level with the old gel coat. Add additional coats of gel as necessary. Then use 320, 400 then 600. If I'd had some 1000 I would have gone over it with that but it wasn't worth another trip to the store. Be sure to change the water and rinse the repair area between each sanding.
After that, I used rubbing compound and finally polishing compound and then wax. It came out with the same mirror finish as the rest of the boat. Hope that helps.

Randy

Ramhouse
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I just did some gel repairs on my boat. It's really not that hard. The thing i learned was take your time sanding. Start with 400...600..and finish wwith 1200.(wet and dry). It took me three times to get it right. Now it looks new, and would not hesitate to do again.