PDA

View Full Version : Do they paint or just use lousy gelcoat?

Marcos
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I own a 97 190PS, colors navy-mtn rock. This means the hull is white, with navy and red colors to it. Now my question is, does MC paint those extra colors, or do they use a very thin, lousy quality gelcoat?
The reason is this, today, I tried to remove big vinyl decals from the colored part of the boat, and took large parts of the color along with it!!!!:mad: When you look at it closely, it looks more spraypainted than a thick layer of gelcoat. I wil try to take some pics nxt week. Anybody else that had this problem? There is no way that I can repair this damage. :( The only thing I can do now is cover it with vinyl decals again.
My former boat, a Brendella, was not know for build quality, but I can assure you, all gelcoat was for real!8p
This, and the use of corrosion sensitive metals in the boat, make me wonder about the build quality....Don't get me wrong, it's still a superb boat and wouldn't trade it for something else, but I needed to get this of my chest.;)

TX.X-30 fan
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
My seats turned PINK!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now. :D

T Scott
05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I assume you are not the original owner. The colored stripes on your boat were actually gelcoated in during the mold process. If they are "coming off", it is because a previous owner must have painted over them for one reason or another. I have bought/sold over 100 Mastercrafts over the year and have never seen this problem. Unfortunately for you, this is an isolated issue specific to your boat.:o

FrankSchwab
05-04-2008, 01:47 PM
My buddy owns a '94 PS190, and I have a '98 Maristar 200.

After spending two weekends with the rotary buffer this winter, I can assure you that, at least in '98, a substantial layer of hard gelcoat was used for the colored stripes on my boat. My buddy would say the same.

I'm not an expert, but in several years of reading here, I've never heard anyone suggest anything else about the factory finish.

/frank

Marcos
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm gonna investigate it. The trouble is there where the side of the hull bends to the transom, on both sides. Where the color is gone, it is now the hull base color, which is strange.
I've seen a lot of skiboats too, and this doesn't seem to be spraypainted, or it should already be at the factory. More to the front, there's no way you can get through the color, just the back corners. There's no sign of color difference along the boat. I'm afraid to take the transom decals off......:(

H20skeefreek
05-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Do you have any pictures of this boat. There were some years of Sportstars where the stripe didn't go around to the transom. Maybe the PO continued it around with some sort of paint?

BrianM
05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
There were some years of Sportstars t?
There was no Sportstar in '97.

This is very odd. We definitely need some pictures.I am guessing that the PO had to do some repairs and went with paint instead of doing it right.

H20skeefreek
05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, I realize this, however I'm trying to think of gel patterns that would be similar to what I'm picturing. It wouldn't be the first time someone had the year/model wrong, not saying that he does, I'm just trying to help him figure it out.

bigmac
05-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Seems to me, it's gotta be paint done by a previous owner. If you peel the gel coat - next stop is the fiberglass layer. So if you peel off an outer layer, you wouldn't see hull color, you'd see fiberglass. For the OP, that hull color he's seeing underneath the layer that peeled off IS the gelcoat.

Anything that peels off to show base hull color has to have been painted on over the gel coat by someone other than MasterCraft, since AFAIK MasterCraft has never painted their hulls.

Marcos
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Thinks are getting weirder..... I think the boat has been repaired before it left the factory... There IS navyblue gelcoat underneath, but some white gelcoat over it, that is spraypainted blue. Look at closely at the small pitt that's in there. There's no trace of damage on the rest of the boat and the original Prostar decals where on the navyblue part. However, along the boat, you cannot see where the paint stops and the gelcoat starts.
The blue on the transom is vinyl, which the former owner put on it, because it was faded. I have seen the boat before the vinyl got on, so don't worry.

Marcos
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
The same on the other side as well:

What do you guys think?

JimN
05-11-2008, 11:15 AM
MC doesn't paint boats, they use gelcoat. Also, if they do a repair at the factory, it's the same color as original. All of the dings in the area with the white means that whoever owned it before wasn't careful around the dock or with skis.

Sodar
05-11-2008, 01:21 PM
You can see the tape line on the stern... looks pretty sh*tty!

Marcos
05-11-2008, 01:55 PM
That's no tape line you're seeing. The transom is covered in blue vinyl. I ruined the topcoat by removing the vinyl that stretched about half a meter along the sides. This was put on because the transom was severely faded. I have seen that before the vinyl was put on (not my idea, that's why I wanted to get it off again) I polished the part I removed the vinyl from, that's why you can see the color difference in all colors exactly on that line. There's at least a half a mm of white gelcoat under there, before you reach the blue. I will check on some scratches at the bow to see what's the case there.

For this year, I haven't got the budget or time to repair it in a decent way, so I need to put some vinyl back on again to cover the sh#$t. It will probably gonna look something like this:

JimN
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
" Do they paint or just use lousy gelcoat?"

Have you ever seen another one that looked like this?

All gelcoat and paint fades. When you see crescent shaped marks like those, it's not the fault of the original finish and if it was "lousy gelcoat", wouldn't it be in other areas, too?

Apparently, you know some of the boat's history, or you wouldn't have seen it before the vinyl was put on. Ask the previous owner how many dings they put in it, don't ask about lousy gelcoat when it's the only one that looks that way.

JimN
05-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Care to describe the propane conversion? I'd be interested in knowing about that.

H20skeefreek
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
lol, that did not happen at the factory. I'm not saying that b/c think MC never makes a mistake, b/c I'm not a die hard MC loyalist. But NO manufacturer would let that go out the door. Do you really run a rental wakeboat business? Is that profitable? The boat is going to get so beat up, I wouldn't worry about how bad the gel underneath looks.

Your vinyl ideas look ok.

I am also very interested in your propane conversion, particularly how many lbs/hour you burn at 30-36mph.

Aric'sX15
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
My seats turned PINK!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now. :D

Are you sure you didn't paint em' pink?
:confused:
:)

Chas
05-12-2008, 05:50 AM
I wonder if 'rent a wake' would be a big seller in Ireland?

stuartmcnair
05-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I wonder if it's on the original trailer or if the original one was damaged beyond repair when that boat was in a wreck...that's horrible

Marcos
05-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Wahaa, sorry guys, we have different trailer rules here in Europe. An American trailer is just not allowed here.

BZW Rent-A-Wake is nothing more then a wake 'n ski school. I would never rent my boat without me being in it......