PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Play

Covi
05-04-2008, 07:10 AM
I looked at our boat today in storage, and noticed when a grabbed the rudder with my hand and moved it from side to side there was about 3/8" play. I never remembered this before? What needs to happen, if anything?

bigmac
05-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I looked at our boat today in storage, and noticed when a grabbed the rudder with my hand and moved it from side to side there was about 3/8" play. I never remembered this before? What needs to happen, if anything?
Make sure the rudder port is bolted solidly to the hull, maybe the bolts loosened and the whole port is wiggling rather than just the shaft in the port. But, on a boat that old...good chance that the rudder port and/or rudder shaft is just too worn. Normally, the tolerances are VERY tight. You could try greasing it, or maybe replacing the O rings or seals, but that much play, likely you're going to need to replace the rudder port or the rudder, or both.

One fear I'd have about that amount of play is that it may leak. A lot.

Covi
05-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Link, pics, pieces, recommendations, up-grades, heck why doesn't someone volunteer to replace it for me? LOL!

uawaterskier
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I have the same problem on my boat but it has play front to back instead of side to side. I am going to take mine apart when I get home in 2 weeks.