PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Lake Tennessee

BriEOD
05-04-2008, 03:47 AM
We have rented a lake house on Douglas Lake, Tennessee over the second week of June. Having never been there, I was wondering if anyone on the board had? Moreover, if anyone could provide a general recon, etc, about the lake. The home we rented has a lift and launch ramp. Should be good times.

Thx,
Brian

bbymgr
05-04-2008, 09:56 AM
We have rented a lake house on Douglas Lake, Tennessee over the second week of June. Having never been there, I was wondering if anyone on the board had? Moreover, if anyone could provide a general recon, etc, about the lake. The home we rented has a lift and launch ramp. Should be good times.

Thx,
Brian

I'd be intrested in any info as well. We have one rented for the 1st week in August. Which house did you rent BriEOD? Just trying to see if we got a goog deal or not.

coz
05-04-2008, 10:08 AM

Thx,
Brian

Looks big :D
http://theblueridgehighlander.com/sevier_county_tennessee/images/douglas_lake_tennessee.jpg
With the valley out front and the mountains out back Sevier County has a world of fun recreations awaiting lovers of the outdoor throughout the county. Boating, fishing, hiking, camping, horseback riding, rafting and more is what you’ll find in the great outdoors of Sevier County, most opportunities for outdoor fun are available throughout the year.

From Douglas Lake and the French Broad River in the northern parts of the county to the coves and valleys in the central section of the county along the edge of the national park, and into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park itself there are over 650 square miles of Sevier County to discover. Trout fishing Bass fishing, and fly fishing along rushing waterways, hiking, camping, mountain biking, horseback ridging, rafting, kayaking and water tubing are only some of the activity available in this most diverse county within the Great Smoky Mountains and the people of Sevier County making it all possible.

BriEOD
05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
We rented this one:

http://www.mountainstosea.com/cabins_chalets/sunrise_cove_douglas_lake.html?bcsi_scan_E9D92E399 3078901=0&bcsi_scan_filename=sunrise_cove_douglas_lake.html

I have no idea if we got a good deal or not. Although, they did give us a 20% discount since I just spent the past 6 months in Iraq.

coz
05-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Although, they did give us a 20% discount since I just spent the past 6 months in Iraq.

Hat's off to you, glad your back :toast: and I'm sure you'll really appreciate this trip after that :) Have fun! :banana:

bbymgr
05-04-2008, 03:17 PM
That's the same company we used. We chose the 5 Bedroom "Golf Coast" because there will be 12 of us going. Since you will be going 1st, let me know about the best spots.

BriEOD
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Hat's off to you, glad your back :toast: and I'm sure you'll really appreciate this trip after that :) Have fun! :banana:
Not back yet, but very close!

BriEOD
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
That's the same company we used. We chose the 5 Bedroom "Golf Coast" because there will be 12 of us going. Since you will be going 1st, let me know about the best spots.
I certainly will!!

TNH2oSkier
05-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I have spent quite a bit of time on the lake, its beautiful. Nothing like seeing the mountains in the background. It is very deep in places >150'.

There is cowboys restaurant near the dam that you can boat to, and there is a slalom course nearby in a small cove, not the best location. It had milk jug boat guides last time I was there.

On the other side of the I40 bridge there is another bar and grill that is more upscale, the name escapes me but its easy to find it has a big condo devolpment near it.

Have fun I really enjoyed hanging out on Douglas lake.

BriEOD
05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Thx for the info Skier!!

BriEOD
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
We will be up on Douglas Lake tomorrow. If anyone is around and sees our black and white 205 wave us down.

sk8salomon
06-08-2008, 08:12 AM
looks like a nice place! i'll check it out, only about 3 hrs from the Nooga.

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Well, we had a great time. Douglas Lake is an unbelievable lake. It is really clean and the water is beautiful.

We towed up from Tampa last Saturday and it took us about 13 hours to make it up to Sevierville where our rental was. Unfortunately, we had a delay as we went through Atlanta. I got a flat tire on the Expedition. Fortunately, I had a floor jack and universal wrench in the boat which came in handy. The rest of the way up and back was uneventful. Although, I laid the tower down on the way back--less bugs.

We stayed on a cove off of flats creek and had a floating dock to tie up to. We found a slalom course on the opposite side of the lake from Cowboys and Lighthouse Marina. We used it a few times and I even made a repair on one of the gates. Angelos down by the Dandridge bridge was a bit more upscale but had great food and excellent atmosphere. I had a cheeseburger at Gator Pointe Marine which was awesome. Some ol' girl without shoes made it for me. The water was in the 80s and pretty glassy. I found 93 octane gas on the water for $4.03. Also, the lake is patroled by the Fish and Wildlife officers. I saw them pulling people over.

Primarily, we saw a lot of pontoon and fishing boats. I did see a few ski/wakeboard boats. Although, I figured I would see more.

For anyone going to Douglas Lake you can pick up a map/chart for $5-6 which indicates where all the marinas/restaurants are located. It is well worth the investment. The lake is VERY deep over 125 ft in some places. I didn't see any major obstructions, etc.

The only other thing I would comment on is towing. Being from FL I'm not used to big hills and mountains. Make sure you have something that will adequatley tow/stop the boat up the elevations. Also, a lot of the neighborhood ramps are gravel. I had my wife's Expedition (4x2) in lieu of my F-150 (4x4). I was sliding down the ramp during launch. For recovery at the end of the week we went to the public ramp (concrete).

We made it into Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It was way to commercialized for my liking. So, the girls would go in and site see, we would spend all day on the lake drinking and skiing.

Great place, I highly recommend it.

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Cody skiing....

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Brianna getting a lil' air....

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:36 PM
My much better half...

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Our rental.......

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Cody napping while we were playing in the course....

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't touch my heiny....

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 01:53 PM
The course......

Patrick Hardy
06-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Looks like a great family trip. How was the stair climbing after a long day on the lake ? It looks like it was a good workout. I love you guys from Florida. If you want some "Big Hills", try towing a loaded down boat & Rig out on the West Coast.
Love the adventurist family spirit - 13 hour drive.

bbymgr
06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the info on the lake. We can't wait for August to go down there. I did have a couple of questions for you. It looks like you were staying at the Western end of the Lake. The Lake House we chose is all the way at the Eastern end. How for east did you go on the Lake, and do you have any recon over there. How bad were the Conservation Officers? Were they pulling people over for "inspections" or were they just keeping things safe and pulling over the drunk idiots? The water looks fairly smooth in your pics. Was it like that all day or did you go out early in the morning or late evening to ski? Thanks again for the pics and info on Douglas Lake.

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I prefered the eastern side of the lake versus the western side (where we stayed). However, flats creek was fairly narrow and bordered with trees which made for nice glassy water throughout the day. As you travelled from the western side to the eastern side the homes got larger and things appeared to decrease in elevation. With that said, more of the marinas and restaurants were on the western end. Angelos is closer to the eastern end and it is co-located with a nice marina.

I didn't have any problem with law enforcement. In fact, at one point they were at the far end of the cove where we were running the course and I did a hair pin turn right in front of them (not more than 40 ft away). They just waved. I don't know why they were pulling people over. You don't need a spotter if you have a big mirror. All kids under 12 must be in a PFD at all times. Just be safe and you will be fine.

The main (big part) of the lake tended to be smooth in the morning and late afternoon. During the day if the wind picked up at all it got a bit choppy. Responsive to this, we frequented flats creek a lot. Additionally, as is customary in the south east, we had thunderstorms roll up on us in the mid-afternoon for an hour or two a few days we were there. I assume this will be the same for you.

Bottom line, you will love the lake. If you have more questions I can shoot you my # and feel free to call.

BriEOD
06-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Looks like a great family trip. How was the stair climbing after a long day on the lake ? It looks like it was a good workout. I love you guys from Florida. If you want some "Big Hills", try towing a loaded down boat & Rig out on the West Coast.
Love the adventurist family spirit - 13 hour drive.

True, hills we don't have. However, how many times have you whipped by a gator or water moccasin on a ski at a range of 3-5 ft?:eek:

BriEOD
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Also, forgot to mention, a lot of the rental places are offering 20-25% discounts responsive to a lack of booking this year. This undoubtedly is based on the fuel and economy issues.

Patrick Hardy
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM
A few beavers, but no gators or moccasins. Looks like a great part of the USA and the rental rates look great.

ski_king
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Nice photos Brian. Seeing the kids have fun is what it is all about.

Just looking at those steps up to the cabin from the dock makes me tired. I hope you took a full cooler down in the morning!

BriEOD
06-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Thx Denny...yes, the kids had a ball. The water was fabulous.

On the other hand, the steps sucked! 124 steps from the kitchen to the boat. Once you got into the house you still had to climb steps from the bottom floor to the living area! Yes, cooler on one shoulder and Cody in the other arm on 2 occasions. Fortunately, it was on the decline.

ski_king
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
on the way up, the cooler would be empty, but Cody would be sleeping I bet.

Looks like a nice place.

Also looks like a easy decision between peeing in the cabin or in the lake.

BriEOD
06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Also looks like a easy decision between peeing in the cabin or in the lake.

From the deck into the lake...:D

BriEOD
06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
A few beavers, but no gators or moccasins. Looks like a great part of the USA and the rental rates look great.

Do the beavers interfere with you while skiing?

Tennesseeski
06-18-2008, 09:55 AM
:rant: I haven't been on TT much the last little bit and I just now saw this thread. Douglas is my home lake and I only live about 10 miles from your rental. I could have shown you around more of the lake. I'm glad you and the family had a great time!!! Next time you come, I'll buy you a beer.

BriEOD
06-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Dude...you are so fired!! ;)

Tennesseeski
06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Sorry man!!! Next time for sure!