PDA

View Full Version : Dead Speedos

bwhitaker
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I recently bought a 2000 PS 190. The speedos dont work and I traced the problem to the Medallion MDC 1600 controller. The location where the speedo tubes attach has broken off (attached photo speedo1). From reading web postings on other sites it sounds like this problem results from water coming up the pitot tube and freezing. My first question is does anyone know where to buy this controller other than L&L Marine Distirbutors ($421). The other postings suggested it can be had for about half that but did not say where.

I also figure I have nothing to lose by trying a repair first. I found two red O rings on the floor under the dash. They appear to fit in the housing around the pressure sensors (attached photo speedo2). Can anyone confirm this for me?

jimmer2880
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
That's different from what I've seen. Sorry - the only help I can be is a bump.

crosslake
06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
I have a prostar 205 and the gauges just went south on me. The dealer said it was probably the MDC box but couldn't be sure until he looked at it. Problem is that the dealer is 120 miles away. I'm curious to find out if you figured out whether the MDC was the problem or something else. Also were you able to find it for less than $400 if it was the problem.

Thanks

bwhitaker
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
The "repair" I attempted did not resolve the speedo problem so there must have been additional damage to the unit. I ordered a new one from Bay Area Water Sports in Tampa for about $200 plus shipping. Gauges started behaving immediately. I have an intermittent problem with the gas gauge fritzing out but don't think it is related to the brain.