PDA

View Full Version : leaky block

Gonzo
05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a leak from the block, luckily it is at the drain. where can I get a replacement for this? I have the one that u turn the wing nut lookin thing and it drains.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
You should be able to find a similar drain or petcock at most any hardware store. The same type is used on air compressor tanks, among other things. You may also want to consider replacing the drain with a solid brass plug. Sometimes the small hole in the petcocks get blocked and leave water trapped in the block......pulling out the drain plug will assure you that the block IS drained.

Gonzo
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks LL,

where would I get such a plug? Big box retailers? Also, how do I get the existing ones out safely, I hate to screw that up that would be a me$$.

Jesus_Freak
05-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks LL,

where would I get such a plug? Big box retailers? Also, how do I get the existing ones out safely, I hate to screw that up that would be a me$$.

Plug can be found at Lowes, etc. Get it out slowly with a deep socket.

PS...tell Hammer to clean out his PM box!

Gonzo
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Plug can be found at Lowes, etc. Get it out slowly with a deep socket.

PS...tell Hammer to clean out his PM box!

I will send him a PM now, thanks!!

JimN
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Stop using a petcock for this. Those are shipped in the motor but are really best when you have a closed cooling system and not one that picks up sand, silt and vegetation. Get a brass plug. IIRC, it's 3/8" NPT, but it could be 1/4" NPT.

Gonzo
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Jim/all. I will make a trip to Lowes before my next trip to the lake.

While I am in everything I plan to replace the impeller and pull the hoses off the tranny cooler and push some fresh water through there just to make sure its as clean as it feels.

JimN
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
If you want to make it easy to remove weeds, etc from an oil cooler, get some hemostats from Radio shack or a surplus supply store. Then, you just remove the hose from the raw water pump side, reach in and grab whatever is there. I usually stick a finger in to find out if it's needed if I can't see in.

Gonzo
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I stuck my finger in and felt the screen on both sides, it felt clean, is that all that is needed or do I need to do more?