PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I Quit Smoking!!!!

Danimal
05-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Well, it has been five weeks now since the wife and I have had a smoke. What a great feeling to be relieved of the ball and chain that are cigs! I have tried everything that was out there including hypnosis. This time we tried the drug Chantix. In my opinion this is an absolute miracle drug. From taking the first pill, I knew I was done smoking! I started smoking when I was 15 and five weeks ago I was a 2 pack a day plus. The wife and I calculated that we are saving over $500.00 / month. Sooooooo, In my infinite justification wisdom, I talked the wife into getting a new rig to tow the boat. Smokes for a new truck? - I'll take that any day of the week.

This is what quitting smoking looks like to me -

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU6Y4KC7VI/AAAAAAAAAG0/htQgisk3U-w/DSCF0410.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU6Z4KC7YI/AAAAAAAAAHM/CdBnM0v70Ek/DSCF0414.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU7D4KC7ZI/AAAAAAAAAHY/vi7PfsQccOw/DSCF0415.JPG?imgmax=512

uawaterskier
05-03-2008, 02:04 AM
congrats...its harder than it sounds.

Danimal
05-03-2008, 02:08 AM
congrats...its harder than it sounds.

Thank you! You are so correct. People that have never smoked really cannot comprehend the addiction that is smoking. The funny thing is that I am getting my taste buds back and am finding out... I really don't like some of the foods I used to love. That sucks!!8p

h2oskifreak
05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
My last smoke was 12-13-07. It gets easier and esier. I don't even think about it now. The first little bit was hard, just not to do it from habit to say nothing of the cravings. Staying away from smokers also helped me a lot.

uawaterskier
05-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Also don't buy a pack at all costs...Its better to bum one or two if you like you MUST have it. I smoked a pack a day in HS for a couple of years. Lucky for me I found a girl that made me quit. I might have a couple if I'm out drinking with buddies, but I refuse to buy a pack at all cost. But even then I have to be careful doing that, if I have more than 1 or 2 in a night I wake up the next day wanting them. Best bet is just to stay away from them all together. Just wait to you get back skiing and stuff, youll really notice a difference then. You be like crap I didn't know I was capable of breathing this much. I just to get winded really easy, but since I've quit I can tell a huge difference at least for me.

School Skier
05-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Don't hang out with people that smoke as hard as it may be.

T Scott
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Nice work Danimal. That nice new truck in your driveway sure is a motivator to stay away from cigarettes. I hope your health and happiness continues.

sdesmond
05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Don't hang out with people that smoke as hard as it may be.

That is a huge key. Alot of my friends smoke andwhen we would all hang out and drink everybody smoked as well. That proved to be the hardest part of all. Glad to here you made it this far!!! My last cig was October 2006. It was hard to quit but I did it cold turkey. No more smelling like smoke.

JohnnyB
05-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Danimal, congrats on making a very difficult lifestyle change. The truck is a true motivator to continue.

This will have quite a positive impact on your health!!!!

Ric
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
dang, that'd make a boat payment!
Well, it has been five weeks now since the wife and I have had a smoke. What a great feeling to be relieved of the ball and chain that are cigs! I have tried everything that was out there including hypnosis. This time we tried the drug Chantix. In my opinion this is an absolute miracle drug. From taking the first pill, I knew I was done smoking! I started smoking when I was 15 and five weeks ago I was a 2 pack a day plus. The wife and I calculated that we are saving over $500.00 / month. Sooooooo, In my infinite justification wisdom, I talked the wife into getting a new rig to tow the boat. Smokes for a new truck? - I'll take that any day of the week.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU6Y4KC7VI/AAAAAAAAAG0/htQgisk3U-w/DSCF0410.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU6Z4KC7YI/AAAAAAAAAHM/CdBnM0v70Ek/DSCF0414.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/danmartinsen/SBU7D4KC7ZI/AAAAAAAAAHY/vi7PfsQccOw/DSCF0415.JPG?imgmax=512

Jerseydave
05-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice Chevy! Congrats on quitting, I think it's great that the two of you quit together............you motivated each other!

justinlkgb
05-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Way to go Danimal!! I too quit. My last one was Nov. 28th 07. :D
Smoked a pack at least a day, maybe more.
I can't believe it took me this long to quit.

Good job making a goal, I had the same motivation, mine was/is a tackle box fully loaded:)

Isn't it funny how the taste buds really seem to work.....all day!:o

Don't know why, but for me tootsie rolls made all the difference. :o

mlay
05-03-2008, 11:12 AM

Congrats, I smoked for ~15 years and quit 3 years ago. Really hard at first but got easier, now its kind of like a streak you don't want to break. Its amazing how smells return, air seems fresher and sensitivity has returned to where you walk into a room and can tell if someone has smoked there hours before.

Great job and enjoy your new ride to reward your accomplishment!

Jabrew
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Congratulations nice incentive, I quite 2 months ago using Chantix unbelievable drug never thought anything would help.

Danimal
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone and congrats to all of you that have quit also!!

Danimal
05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Congratulations nice incentive, I quite 2 months ago using Chantix unbelievable drug never thought anything would help.

I felt the same way you did. Almost helpless because nothing worked for me. Chantix is the only way I could have done it.

wakolman
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the accomplishments. Now just watch out that you don't eat too much of the foods that taste good to you. Some people that quit smoking put on few extra pounds.

454Prostar190
05-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Danimal, Congratulations to you! Quite an accomplishment and one that I haven't accomplished, yet think about it daily! I suppose I need to buck up and do it! Rick

barefoot
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Dude...I knew you smoked, but I didn't know you smoked that much. You've always been a "discrete" smoker...I mean, you would have them, but it wasn't over bearing for the people around you. I suppose it's like going out for a beer...you decide to go out for one and before you know it, you've had five pitchers!

So congrats! It looks like it's already paying off!

Bruce
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Let me add my congrats. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Those who were wise/lucky enough not to have never smoked will never understand the addiction! Don't even think about having just one or one drag. It don't work. I smoked a lot when I drank so I quit drinking. Always had one after sex (so opps forget that!)

snork
05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Congrats. I hate smoke, especially second hand. I had been a smoker for a long time, now I'm done with that. PTL. Thats was one nasty habit. Went to a bar the other night, as designated driver, did all I could to hang in till the friends got enough booze and action then left. I woke up the next morning wanting to puke my guts out.

Willski
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I've never seen that approach to quitting, but that is pretty good. Constant reminder of one reason to quit. Although you'll probably save more in health costs in the long run than in packs of cigs!!

D3skier
05-04-2008, 12:47 AM

congrats on the quit smoking trail... wish I could do it.... been thinking about the chantix drug but shied away from trying it once I heard about all the horror stories with the side effects. Did you experience any side effects with it?

flipper
05-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Congrats on your success!!!! I know how hard it is to quit, as I am one of those who have tried, and failed many times. Not going to give up though. I'll quit for good one of these times.

Danimal
05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
congrats on the quit smoking trail... wish I could do it.... been thinking about the chantix drug but shied away from trying it once I heard about all the horror stories with the side effects. Did you experience any side effects with it?

Thanks everyone!

Do not listen to the horror stories about the side effects. Most of them are blown out of proportion. The only side effect I had is that I would get an upset stomach for about 10 minutes after taking the pill. Didn't matter if it was on a full stomach or not. Please do not listen to all the rumors. Give Chantix a shot. As I said in an earlier post, it is a miracle drug.

Dude...I knew you smoked, but I didn't know you smoked that much. You've always been a "discrete" smoker...I mean, you would have them, but it wasn't over bearing for the people around you. I suppose it's like going out for a beer...you decide to go out for one and before you know it, you've had five pitchers!

So congrats! It looks like it's already paying off!

Thanks dude. Hey, are you gonna bring that new boat down by me this summer? I'll show you how to drink a ton of beer and still tow little kids on a tube. (Please people... it is a joke:D )

dapicatti
05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Congratulations! What a incentive. The best part is having a vehicle that is never smoked in. I've never smoked, but have lots of friends and acquaintances who are always trying to quit. It's like climbing Mt. Everest. It can be done, but its not easy:cool:

barefoot
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks dude. Hey, are you gonna bring that new boat down by me this summer? I'll show you how to drink a ton of beer and still tow little kids on a tube. (Please people... it is a joke:D )

You know it! I LOOOOVE tooobing! I add the sticker on the transum "World Competition Toobing Boat!"

PS, it'll need to be an over-night-sleep-over thing, especially if the kids will be drinking :D

chudson
05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Dan, I'll tell you it was the hardest thing I've ever did but I finally convinced myself that I just didn't want to do it anymore and I've not smoked in almost five years now!!! But I smell a cigarette light up now and it sure smells good but I know it'll taste terrible and you just have to keep telling yoursrelf that!!! Good luck Bud, I wish you all the best!!!

phecksel
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Congratulations!!!!

I never smoked, so can't offer any first hand advice.

My wife did smoke, quit, and has helped several other people quit. First and most important is wanting to quit. Also avoiding being around people who smoke. She talks about the 7's, 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months, were all difficult points. Even a few years later, she will occassionally want a cig so bad she can taste it.

Chas
05-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Those who were wise/lucky enough not to have never smoked will never understand the addiction!

I smoked a few cigs in Junior High School - let's not get into just how long ago that was - but it triggered my asthma, and I was sick for a couple of days. I am so glad not to have ever gotten hooked on the things.

But as a person who was addicted to other things, and knows how very hard it is to come clean, let me add my congratulations as well.

pq2
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I quit 3 weeks ago and im feeling great

mastercraft1995
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I quit chewing Copenhagen May 18th, 1998 cold turkey.
How could I tell my kid he can't do something if I do it?
I use to chew up to 2 cans a day when I was in the military.

I don't know how people can afford to chew or smoke these days.

Danimal
05-07-2008, 01:18 AM
WOW - There were more smokers (and dippers) on here than I realized. Congrats to everyone that has quit!

Ryan - We have a spare bedroom. No problem with the sleep-over. I might even be able to find some jammies with the feet in them for ya.

justinlkgb
05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Its crazy how right when you quit, you notice just about EVERYBODY smokes or Dips.

Are you still smoke free???

Monte
05-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Going ask my doctor about the Chantix prescription today. I really want to see my grandkids...

Danimal
05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Its crazy how right when you quit, you notice just about EVERYBODY smokes or Dips.

Are you still smoke free???

Yes I am still smoke free and have been off the pill for a week.:D

JKTX21
05-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I guess I am a half a!! smoker / chewer. I will smoke or chew for 2 or 3 months and quit with a half pack to go. 8p

Drinking is a different story.:rolleyes:

Chief
05-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm a quitter too: Quit 1994 to 2002 then quit last Aug 07 when the doc said "You may have cancer", real easy to quit then.

I'll have a Cigar from time to time but the smokies are gone forever.

Turned out to be lingual scarring on the lungs from the 1994 pneumonia (the reason I quit the first time).

Good on ya Monte :) , it's a big step and smoking use to be the only reason why some people didn't get throttled by me, now they just get throttled!

Congrats to everone who as stopped. It's nice to wake up and breath freely.

Gonzo
05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes I am still smoke free and have been off the pill for a week.:D

I hear the pitter patter of little feet in your future.... or is that the other pill?

Congratulations, I have always been one of the lucky few in this department, I can pick one or two up and then not have anymore for months, then have another one or two. I only do when I drink and I drink less and less these days. My dad however was addicted and died of small cell lung cancer, he tried and tried to quit it just never stuck. I can truley say you are doing your kids and family a favor by quitting, not just yourself. The sooner the better.

Congratulations

justinlkgb
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Hows the no smoking going Danimal?

Danimal
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Hows the no smoking going Danimal?

Still going well although I have been weak at times.

Monte
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Still going well although I have been weak at times.

It is a SOB to quit. I was smoke free for an entire month. All it took me was one:o

88 PS190
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
My bro used chantix, and quit, but started again a few months later.

Now he's quitting again w/o chantix, but says it feels easier since what chantix did was teach him he didn't need the cigarettes.

SkiDog
09-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I applaud all of you guys (and girls) that quit that NASTY habit! I watched my dad die from those damn things, and it wasn't a pretty sight! Good luck.

atlfootr
09-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Congrats, now you can use the 500 for fuel to pull the boat with instead ...

mlay
09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I put them down 3 1/2 years ago and just never picked them back up. I was at the point where my kids were getting old enough that I could no longer hide it from them and I did not want to preach what I did not practice. Congrats to all who have quit or a giving it a shot....stick with it.

x-10ron
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Nice trade off!!!!! quit smoking get a new truck.