PDA

View Full Version : x-9 Steering Issues

Streak
05-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Took a used x-9 out for a test run the other day. It had a pull to the right while on plane. I know most boats do caused by the torque of the propeller, but is there a way of trimming the rudder as to eliminate the tendancy to steer right. I know on outboards, there is a "trim fin" on the lower unit which can compensate to a certain degree..
Any thoughts..

cbryan70
05-02-2008, 10:00 PM
yes you can shave the rudder. The pull actually makes for a better handling boat as there is NO play in the steering. At least this is what i heard. My boat is older and has no right pull and there is some play in the steering

Chicago190
05-02-2008, 10:12 PM
A pull to the side is preferred in tournament inboards because it allows the boat to track much straighter. While at first it seems annoying, most people quickly become accustomed to it. I know I would hate it if my boat didn't have the pull to the right.

If you really can't get used to it then you can file down the rudder to achieve neutral steering. Also, see this thread from the FAQ: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12

ShamrockIV
05-03-2008, 09:49 AM
My 209 has the usual pull to the right. you will get used to it!! I just installed a new steering cable and it is so smooththat if you let wheel go it will turn to the right quick!!!! lol but i am used to it!!!

Jerseydave
05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
My '03 230 Maristar had a right-hand pull.........I filed the rudder to get it closer to neutral steering. If it were a slalom boat, I'd prefer a little pull to the right.

Streak, where are you in the northeast? I'm in NJ and saw a red X-9 in my area. Who had the boat you water tested?