PDA

View Full Version : How do I paint the 'textured' deck?

Chas
05-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I have an older S&S - it is cream and brown. I want to paint it another color. Just about ANY other color. But I have the textured deck - how on earth do I sand and prep that? No way I'm going to sand each and every one of those little dimples - is this just an impossible task? Should I just start spreading the bondo and plan on sanding nonstop for a week?

Tell me now - I don't mind starting the search for a newer boat.... I might find someone who loves this color combination.

The engine runs and sounds very healthy. Has GT40 heads, 1:1 and a brand new shaft. I am putting in new mounts and a new shaft seal - it really doesn't need much beside that and upholstery.

Input?

JimN
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Use a brand new wire brush and clean it with solvent before you start brushing the non-slip areas. Look for the finest one you can find, so the fine scratches will be as close together as possible. You'll be wiping everything with solvent after the rest is sanded, anyway and depending on what material you spray on, it may or may not require priming, which tends to stick to everything, so as long as it's extremely clean, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ask a lot of questions when it comes to choosing the paint and tell them exactly what you're using it on.