PDA

View Full Version : 99xstar drive shaft question

curry154
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
i am pulling a 630iv hurth transmission out of a 1999 xstar and need some advice on how or what to do to get the drive shaft out of the transmission / do you unbolt it and pull it out enough to remove the trans ? any help would be great !!!

Tom023
05-03-2008, 09:12 AM
In order to get the shaft out of the way I would think you would just want to remove it completely. I suppose you could maneuver the transmission around with the the shaft still through the ouput flange but I think that would be a real PITA compared to just removing it. To remove it you may have two options. If you have enough clearance (i.e., no rear seat or anything else in the way), you simply undo the bolts that join the coupler with the output flange on the transmission and pull the shaft and coupler out as one assembly. If you don't have clearance, then you need to remove the big nut on the end of the shaft at the coupler. Leaving the coupler bolted to the output flange, use a shaft puller (e.g., the one you can buy at Elbert's) and remove the shaft from the bottom of the boat.

The shaft/bearing puller works well: http://www.elberts.com/tools.htm